Games that disappointed you

TheTakenOne

Dec 24, 2007
Paper Mario.

This would sound weird to anyone who knows me, since I enjoy Mario games and I enjoy RPG-style games, and Super Mario RPG was one of the most fun games for me ever(at the time I played it, that is.) But that was exactly the problem. Paper Mario was built as a successor to the old Super Mario RPG and it had practically nothing that I enjoyed from the original. It's not even that I think it was a bad game--I still enjoyed it to some extent. It's just that it wasn't at the level I'd hoped.

Mind you I was just a wee lad at the time, I'd never even played an RPG before then, and my standards are considerably higher now, but I don't think I've ever felt such disappointment in a game since then. It did teach me a lesson about anticipating the soon-to-be-released games on my Christmas list to be the next BEST GAME EVAR EVER.

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
Odin's Sphere.

Yeah, that's right. Odin's Sphere. That game that RPG enthusiasts gushed over, critics spooged on, and generally everyone else heralded as an underappreciated gem.

It was shit.

Ok, maybe SHIT is too harsh a word. To be fair, the game was very PRETTY shit--when, of course, it wasn't having a sugar-coated, cel-shaded, hard-core amount of EPIC SLOWDOWN during boss fights.

It was well told shit--the storyline was an interactive fairy tale with very good writing, yadda yadda.

The gameplay sucked BALLS.

BALLS.

This is basically the entire game:

You play five or six levels with one character, fighting waves of progressively harder and harder enemies through a variety of circular battlefields with different backgrounds in them and grow sheep that you can kill and eat.

Once you beat those five or six levels, and the bosses within, guess what? YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.

AND AGAIN.

AND AGAIN.

The game repeats itself FIVE TIMES. Five times, over and over again--the same enemies, the same bosses, the same everything, just in different orders and with a few different attacks. That's the entire game--it was repetative, and the battles were mostly just button-mashing made pretty.

Fuck Odin's Sphere. I was looking forward to some sort of incredible RPG experience and instead I got treated to Final Fight with a Rabbit.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Hellgate London: It's like fighting dust bunnies in a closet using a small car. Add some urinating on Monty Python on top of that and you got the game.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Im going to have to go with Sonic 360.

The LostSkeletons long painful post makes a fine example of where we original sonic fans lie. Sonic was the character I first chose a console on. I stood there as my parents said, "which video game system do you want." I chose the genesis because after about 10minutes of playing Sonic the hedgehog I was a speed stunt ring grabbing addict. I had my gripes about Sonic Adventure but as a first step into 3D i overlooked them. I did not however like the story...at all. Transplanting sonic into a kid friendly anime town made me feal like I was watching cheap episodes of "dat new anime." Sonic Adventure 2 kicks this up a notch by adding Vegeta("Shadow"), and a giant cast of characters I care nothing about. All the while removing emphasis from playing as sonic...and expanding about sonics character and abilities. The release of Sonic heroes really drove the nail in the coffin for me, and I ignored shadow the hedgehog. Sonic 360s original screens of just sonic running through beautiful environments and smashing the occasional baddies, accompanied by claims of getting back to the roots from sonics creator showed promise. Instead it was a clusterfuck of characters and garbage physics.

Bioware being sourced for the Sonic RPG is its greatest hope, as Sonic Teams seems to have lsot dickall of an idea of how to make a sonic game. Maybe more time should be spent on physics and camera tweaking, and less time should be spent on a new mysterious hedgehog witha superform. It seems its going to take 3rd party dev teams to make a good sonic game. Theyll have thier work cut out for them since Sega has spent so much time dragging the franchise through the mud.

Ill just have to program my own damn sonic game someday

modris

Jul 17, 2006
J-Val said:
Dynasty Warriors with free-running.
Huh? I admit I haven't played any Dynasty Warriors games in years, but I don't recall it being anything like the Assassin's Creed I've played. I've generally surprised single enemies with the hidden blade and run away, unlike in Dynasty Warriors where I played essentially a human weed whacker.

This year, very few games have disappointed me. Maybe Oblivion: game of the year edition because it didn't deliver what I want from a roleplaying game. Last year I was disappointed that I never really got into Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Final Fantasy XII was a disappointment and has kind of turned me off of FF games. Jade Empire was lacking something, hopefully BioWare will carry some of their Mass Effect brilliance over to Jade Empire 2.

yourself

Jan 3, 2008
Harvest moon Rune factory was a real mess up for me. It looked like all the fun of harvest moon and final fantasy had finally collided, but much to my surprize I was met with a slow system of waiting around fishing every day. The courtship part of previous harvest moon games had been all but removed and you had to get special permission to enter every cave. I tried to push through for a few days hoping the game would brighten up. It didn't and currently sits on my bookshelf in it's box, probably never to be opened again.

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
Yeah Assassins Creed was nothing like it was expected, nothing but repetition and hour long conversations with dead guys... and no ending. Sorry but a sequal of repetition and hour long conversations with dead guys isnt gonna have me waiting again.

Dead Rising i thought would be good, but its gotta be the only freeroam game that gives you no time to do ANYTHING!

Godhand... Who would have thought a game about PUNCHING PEOPLE! would be such a cheaply built piece of wank?

The idea of Resident Evil on the Wii... omgzz are we gonna get something new and exciting!?!?
No, we get RE4 which granted is great... but has already been out on almost every other platform before that, and Umbrella Chronicles which is just Gun Survivor... and Gun Survivor was fucking terrible to begin with.

Infact the Wii itself and all games out for it dissapointed me, and continue to do so
Most of the games are either ports of existing games or brain training... and the amazing motion sensor is cut down to meer pointing a cursor around a screen and flicking your wrist to attack...

dehawaiiansupaman

Jan 2, 2008
Battle For Middle Earth II just was boring to me after the epic battles in the first. Killzone made me want to throw it in a blender. Those ones stick out to me.

Note: I pray that Killzone 2 can live up to the hype and be a great game.

EDIT: Mass Effect is there as well, the only part I enjoyed in it for the entire game was Wrex's lines.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Stella Q said:
Indigo Prophecy - About 2/3 of the way through the game I had all but put it on my Favorite Games of All Time list. Then the plot took a sharp shit turn straight into shit town and plunged 10,000 feet down into a shit chasm. I really couldn't believe how quickly the game became so awful.
I'm right there with you. The first half was fantastic. And then all of a sudden ... wtf?? People who'd never met were all in love, etc. I was disappointed at that. But for the first half, I still rate it highly. There's a whole lot of what might've been wrapped up in Indigo Prophecy.

wiseass

Jan 5, 2008
UT3: customization was pretty weak, vehicles felt uneven, and everyone looks like a gears of War reject
Two Worlds: i never expected it to be great but god i dont think ive ever played a game as bad
Halo 3: Single player managed to disappoint my already low expectations
Halo 2: made me lower my single player expectations
Spiderman 3: had the most ridiculous user interface and control scheme
Assassins Creed: combat was so easy it made me cringe, supposedly will have a sequel...which is impossible cause the first one lacks an ending
Rock Band: the DLC hasnt been exactly what they promised, they might as well have called in PS2 version instrument hero
Vanguard: never really entertained me enough to actually play longer then a week
Star Wars Galaxies: need I really explain?

TheHound

Dec 22, 2007
Call Of Duty 4: I expected something special but it was average at best. With bloody stupid mechanics i.e. infinite respawns and locked doors that only ur team mates can open (without keys)

UT3: I loved the original UT not some half assed abortion of a game.

Artinam

Jan 5, 2008
The Elder Scrolls III, just didn't get the awesomeness feeling as some other did.
Neverwinter Nights, the game did not WORK for a few months untill they finally released the update which helped me on the way. I was just dissappointed by the Singleplayer... seriously.. I expected a new Baldur's Gate but overall it didn't even come close to Icewind Dale...

Online was OK, just expected more.

NoobMaster

Jan 5, 2008
Assassins creed was a let down because it had no ending ""we'll be back for you mr.miles" and he dose'nt come back.I feel so lonely all alone with the animus.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
RentCavalier said:
Odin's Sphere.

Yeah, that's right. Odin's Sphere. That game that RPG enthusiasts gushed over, critics spooged on, and generally everyone else heralded as an underappreciated gem.

It was shit.

Ok, maybe SHIT is too harsh a word. To be fair, the game was very PRETTY shit--when, of course, it wasn't having a sugar-coated, cel-shaded, hard-core amount of EPIC SLOWDOWN during boss fights.

It was well told shit--the storyline was an interactive fairy tale with very good writing, yadda yadda.

The gameplay sucked BALLS.

BALLS.

This is basically the entire game:

You play five or six levels with one character, fighting waves of progressively harder and harder enemies through a variety of circular battlefields with different backgrounds in them and grow sheep that you can kill and eat.

Once you beat those five or six levels, and the bosses within, guess what? YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.

AND AGAIN.

AND AGAIN.

The game repeats itself FIVE TIMES. Five times, over and over again--the same enemies, the same bosses, the same everything, just in different orders and with a few different attacks. That's the entire game--it was repetative, and the battles were mostly just button-mashing made pretty.

Fuck Odin's Sphere. I was looking forward to some sort of incredible RPG experience and instead I got treated to Final Fight with a Rabbit.
It is at this time that I would totally obliterate you for hating Odin Sphere, but you are not worth the time.

On a side note, this topic of mine has gotten a lot of replys. Good to see my topics are still some of the best.

Thegreatoz

Jan 5, 2008
Halo 2 and Halo 3. Halo 2 mainly because that its baisically halo 1 with duel wielding and better graphics. You can go through and match up levels from halo 1 and match them to halo 2. Also playing the arbiter was just random. Finally, the ending, i payed 55$ for a game that took 5 hours to beat and left me with nothing to show for it. And as for halo 3, i loved it, untill i beat it on legendary mode *SPOILER* and u find out that master chief is alive. Sorry but i thought his death was the best way to end it, been saying it since i found out they were making it a trilogy.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Zelda:Twilight Princess (GC)

Sure, it's a good game,it has good gameplay etc. etc...., but I'm really disappointed about the difficulty, you can easily beat the game with three hearts and the bosses are constantly exposing their weakpoint,waiting for someone to kill them.
And the heartpieces are too easy to find as well.
They changed the story slightly compared to the other games ,but it's basically the same story.

The game has it's moments,and is,in my opinion,worth playing,but something like a hard mode would have been a good idea.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
Super Paper Mario

I loved the other two Paper Mario games with a passion. Their humor, their storyline, most importantly their game play. I enjoy turn-based combat every once in a while and these games did it perfectly. When Super Paper Mario was announced to be an Action game with "RPG Elements" I was crushed. That was it's biggest flaw, in my opinion, but the games storyline was subpar and its humor was entirely lost about half way through the game. That's not to say, for an action game, it's bad. But I wanted, needed, a RPG game and didn't get one.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I was slightly disappointed with the complete absence of ANY kind of dungeon-puzzles in Eternal Sonata. The game itself is good, minus two annoying voice actors and the dungeon simplicity. At least it gives me the option to listen to voices in Japanese if I get that tired of it.

Soul Calibur Legends. I probably should have known it'd be bad in the first place, as I don't recall seeing any actual GOOD fighting games on the Wii yet. The game just feels like a hollow cut-out of a standard adventure game, minus all the fun parts and interesting dialogue.

Seyon

Jan 7, 2008
Phantasy Star Universe, paying two bills to play on-line, story mode is mandatory to unlock free mode/multiplayer, having to be human in story mode. Good game though...