Games that genuinely make you angry.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Borderlands has me pretty pissed off right now.

For the Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC, after you defeat Knoxx, you blow up the armory, right? So you walk in, and you're standing on an elevator. There are three buttons to press. You are not told which button to press.

I press the left-most button. The bomb becomes active. I press the middle button. The elevator takes me down into the armory.

Oh, that one on the right? Yeah, that's the one that actually ends the quest, and if you don't press it before lowering the elevator, you're screwed and can never complete that quest or the two subsequent quests breaking back into the armory.

Apparently the only way to get around it is to find someone online who just happens to be at the end of the Knoxx quest and piggyback your way into the armory.

But, for the most part, I don't get angry at games. For instance, I recently played Deus Ex (the original) for the first time, and I really didn't like the gameplay. So I just turned God mode on. *shrug* I was only there for the story, anyway.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
I had a few rage-quits while playing Dark Souls. Sadly I was extremely angry that I didn't try blocking (when Ornstein died) Smough's super duper jumping lightning fat arse attack. When I figured out I could block it, I felt a giant hole where my rage used to be. Then fighting four kings on NG+ was hell. Then Gwyn on NG+ had quite a few deaths, but i didn't rage-quit.

Yahtzee's Poacher got me a few times with the jump puzzles now i'm stuck in the crystal caverns. :(

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
SWAT 4

You have no idea how much the AI suspects CHEAT even though I'm blatantly spamming pepper balls in their face.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
verdant monkai said:
*big snip*

The thing is I sort of liked street fighter, I like the concept characters and some other stuff. But it is like you said just to difficult to get the hang of, and I have better things to do rather than learn how to do special moves and remember them.
Well if you you like the idea of beat em ups but dont want to remember specials as such maybe try Skullgirls which has a good tutorial and easier specials although it lacks a move list you have to look that up online im afraid but its a better place to start than SF4.It will prep you for SF4 though.

Or alternatively try SC1-5 here its much more about spacing than special moves while something like the Dead or Alive series is more about a general feel for the controls and just reacting to moves rather than learning a shit load of specials.

This wont apply to you if you have no interest in them whatsoever ofc but just trying to say SF4 is not a good fighting game to start with SF3 even less so.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Zelda Skyward Sword. I really, really wanted to like this game, and it started out quite nicely. New take on the dungeon formula, actual use out of wiimotion+......But god it became really boring really soon. Admittedly, the final hour or so was awesome, but the entire second act just feld so padded it hurt.

I-Wanna-Be-The-Guy/Super Meat Boy. Admittedly, they were made to frustrate players, but they do so admirably well. In I wanna be the Guy, the fucking MOON came down out of nowhere to kill me, Majora's Mask style.

And the big one, Mass Effect 3. Where other games disappointed or frustrated me, this might be the first and only time I feld something akin to anger. If you feel like a rant on why, just go to every mass effect 3 ending thread ever.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Mount & Blade. Used to enjoy it back in the day, recently I decided to play again and started to wonder how I ever enjoyed it, the combat was broken, unfair and complete shit. I uninstalled it and never looked back.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Buretsu said:
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

snip
A lot of SMT games suffer from that, even p3. While I find a lot of their games to have really interesting story's and characters, the combat can often be absolutely infuriating. A combination of partial, but awful luck (aka status effects) and atrocious team AI can really screw you over.

P3 had battles that took me an hour to fight through (resistant against everything, powerful and high HP et cetera), only to die at the very last moment due to events caused by shitty status effects and an AI that is rarely helpful. Hell, there have been a lot of instances of people's teammates getting charmed and fully healing the enemy, completely destroying all of your hard work. And you sometimes can't do anything about this because of the turn order.

There's another boss enemy that's even worse. if this specific boss decides to spam megidolaon, you can basically kiss your ass goodbye, as repeated attacks from the enemy keep getting stronger. What's even worse is that you can't protect yourself against it and if it decides to use a damage boost skill before it, your entire team is going to die in a single hit and there's nothing you can do about it. What's even fucking worse is that this enemy can heal itself by using life drain, a skill that drains your HP and adds it to the enemy's HP. But the problem is that it heals more HP than my entire team is able to dish out in a single turn, meaning that if it suddenly decides to spam it (and it does this sometimes), it can heal huge chunks of its health, dragging out a fight in which you could be OHKO'd at every turn if you're unlucky.

Ugh...I'm starting to get irritated. Better stop now.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Medal of Honor (the new one.)

I can't remember the last time I was so angry at a game, and not the type of angry that comes from getting your ass handed to you playing a CoD game because you just aren't as good as the other players, or angry like when you play an adventure game and you force yourself to not use Gamefaqs. MOH made me angry with it's blatant copying of the far superior CoD games, it's classless way of dealing with the "terrorist" controversy, and the biggest offender, the broken gameplay! I can understand a game like Fallout 3 or GTA having numerous bugs and crashes, but not a goddamn linear FPS. Aside from the squad AI constantly running in front of me when I was trying to shoot, or them running in place until I shot them to get out of it so I could progress, the game couldn't even get scripted events down! The final straw came during "Running with Wolves" when I had to wait for a bunch of enemies to leave a truck so I could take down the stragglers and move on. Problem was that 9 times out of 10 this wouldn't happen, and when I would try to take them out about 20 of their friends would join in the fight and turn me into swiss cheese. I finally gave up when one time the event actually "worked" but then we were detected and I got shot to shit and right after my lifeless corpse fell my partner yelled, "Get down!" After that I yelled at the disc, "Get out of my Xbox and get back to Gamefly!"

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Walter Byers said:
Playing an elemental shaman back in the day against a rogue. RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGEE!!
Try affliction warlock vs undead rogues. 10 seconds immunity to both fear and dots? That was the closest thing I've ever seen to an actual I-win button. Sure, it's only an I-win button vs one class but that's of little comfort if that one class IS YOU.

And on top of that they got the racial skill that gives immunity to fear for 10 seconds (could be 5, I forgot) Fun fact: fear is really a warlock's only defence...

But it's not that big of a deal since it's only one class-race combination who gets these skills right? Sure, except, on my server at least, rogues were by far the most popular pvp class and undead by the far the most popular horde race. (Seriously, alterac valley versus horde teams with 40-50% undead were not rare.) And they really only need one of those 2 skills to completely wreck your sh*t. So ANY rogue or ANY undead was a serious problem. Undead rogues, who got both the skills, were just instant game over. Just sit down and hope you respawn fast.

One day, for giggles, I checked the arena champions for the last 3 seasons. Lo and behold: 90% of them undead, and every last team at least 1 undead rogue.
I quit wow pretty soon after. (It wasn't the only reason, but it sure didn't help either.)

Disclaimer: all this was a pretty long time ago by now, lot's has changed (mostly blizzard finally realizing what I was saying all along was true and nerfing accordingly).

Dantarn

Apr 27, 2011
Probably Dark Souls but that's only because I can never seem to beat the Four Kings.
When people say "Anor Londo Snipers" You mean the knights with the dragonslayer bows right? I never had problem with them or anything in Anor Londo, so I can't really relate

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Mass Effect 2. It wasn't just a step down from the first, it was slipped-on-a-dead-baby-and-fell-all-the-way-down-the-stairs bad. Same goes for Prototype 2. And Dragon Age 2. But not all sequels- just those three.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Damnation.

Never before have I suffered the hype effect before that FUCKING game.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
dark souls for obvious reasons.

and the first game that i ever really noticed made me angry was enslaved. don't get me wrong i fucking love that game, on my all time favourite list, but god-damn it do i get annoyed at trip, even when she is useful, me and my mate who i lived with when i got the game would joke how it made me genuine angry and im a bloke with one of the calmest demeanour hahaa.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I don't really get angry at games ever, with the sole exception of football games. Put me in front of FIFA or Pro Evo and I just rage like someones smacked me in the dick with a flail.

Oh, and thats proper football, not armoured rugby.

Oh, and thats armoured with a "u".

Hey America!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
dimensional said:
verdant monkai said:
*big snip*

The thing is I sort of liked street fighter, I like the concept characters and some other stuff. But it is like you said just to difficult to get the hang of, and I have better things to do rather than learn how to do special moves and remember them.
Well if you you like the idea of beat em ups but dont want to remember specials as such maybe try Skullgirls which has a good tutorial and easier specials although it lacks a move list you have to look that up online im afraid but its a better place to start than SF4.It will prep you for SF4 though.

Or alternatively try SC1-5 here its much more about spacing than special moves while something like the Dead or Alive series is more about a general feel for the controls and just reacting to moves rather than learning a shit load of specials.

This wont apply to you if you have no interest in them whatsoever ofc but just trying to say SF4 is not a good fighting game to start with SF3 even less so.
Do you think dead or alive would be more noob friendly? I like the look of that game especially the most recent. Oh and by the way thankyou for the information, you have been really helpful. :)

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Any multiplayer game.

I hate it when people are better than me at stuff.
And nowadays a bunch of single-player games easily make one feel that way too.

After countless retries you finish a level doing your very best effort with a result you are more than content with... And immediately afterwards, you're forced to be compared to the world record, or notice your name in the depressing middle muck of global leaderboards.

Those games really have no idea how to handle their data.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Isalan said:
I don't really get angry at games ever, with the sole exception of football games. Put me in front of FIFA or Pro Evo and I just rage like someones smacked me in the dick with a flail.

Oh, and thats proper football, not armoured rugby.

Oh, and thats armoured with a "u".

Hey America!
Same here, fucking hate playing online... There are many cheaters in FIFA and many addicts in Pro Evolution. How I who still play on normal can stand a chance?

Captcha: Shoulder of Orion... I guess that Orion is a Handegg fan.