Games that have aged incredibly well.

VSSAKJ

Aug 28, 2010
I think the original .hack series deserves a mention here. I'm shocked when I remember how old it is every time I play it.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Starcraft. The fact that this game is the most played game competitively in South Korea proves that.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
IndianaJonny said:
Worms! Prodding your opponents into the sea never gets old! *menacing cackle*
Worms will never be bad.

Except for that little 3D bit they had going. Didn't like that.

But 2D Worms will always be amazing.

For my contribution, Metroid Prime. Sure, it's not as old as some games people are listing off, but it was still 9 years ago, back in 2002. That game is amazing gameplay wise, and the scenery and the locations are still beautiful to look at. I still stop to gaze at some of the scenery when playing it. The only current-gen game that makes me do that is Crysis.

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
I played Super Metroid three years ago for the first time. They don't make games like that any more.

Do you guys know Star Control 2 for the 3DO? http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ A team ported it and perfected it for PC, and it's an amazing sci-fi RPG that's almost 20 years old!

Actually, as has been said before, most console games of the early to mid '90s can hold out amazingly today. You don't see studios remaking games from that period.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Most of them, there were some really well designed games done so well that the out-dated graphics didn't even catch my attention.

I'd like to specifically mention Ocarina Of Time since I can understand why people would find the graphics rough enough to fail to see why it is still a great game. However, the atmosphere is still there and the controls are as smooth as ever. I don't feel I need to tell new gamers that they need to appreciate it for it's time at all.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
- Metal Gear Solid 1, a stealth game with an engaging, convoluted story and solid mechanics.

- Tekken 3.

- Half-Lifeas well as all its expansions, add-ons and mods. Especially Opposing Force.

- DOOOOM!!! Still awesome, still better than Halo.

- Half-Life 2 and the Source Engine in general. Look it up on ModDB, there's thousands of mods.

- Guitar Hero for PS2.

- Halo. Still a thriving PC Mod community for Custom Edition.

- Urban Terror, a free mod for Quake III Arena.

EDIT: Oh yes, Starcraft and Warcraft III too. Can't forget Blizzard.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The oldest, truly great great game I can think of is Super Mario World. Graphics still look great, gameplay is pixel perfect. It can't be improved upon, as far as that kind of game goes.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
A lot of good 2D games, Max Payne, even Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners (That's right, I'm gonna call it old.)

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Mega Man series on the NES. Early 3D is almost instantly a turnoff, because it looks so dire. 2D games age better.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Roller Coaster Tycoon

Hell yes. Fantastic and addicting game. 2.5 D sprites on an isometric grid are still very charming.
Plus, the type of gameplay has very few good changes since the game was created. So it can still be played like it was before.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
Whoracle said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
You forgot Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (Though that was for the PS)
Never played that one. When the PSN gets back up, I'll have go get it for the PSP I think.
I suggest the PSN original version. It has dialogue and voice acting so bad its hilarious
Anyway, if you loved Super Metroid you'll likely love Symphony of the Night (Although SoTN is a little issue with pacing, especially in the final hours).

However don't expect crafty gameplay like Super Castlevania IV, SoTN is like Metroid, whereas Super Castlevania IV is more like Mega Man

OreWaUsopp

Dec 25, 2008
I'm going to put this to science
I'm going to gather some gamers of mixed ages and inflict some of these old games on them to see if kids today still like them.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Neverwinter nights, after all these years i still play it, and new modules come out almost every day. (It may actually be the D&D inside nwn that i love, although nwn2 is D&D based and it's horrible)

Dizeazedkiller

Feb 11, 2011
The Madman said:
I might get some flak for this, but World of Warcraft!

Despite an aging graphics engine which was already fairly dated technology wise when it was first released, the game still managed some genuinely awe-inspiring vistas when last I played a few months back. I was genuinely impressed by how good it looks sometimes!
First i'll reply to the original post. Super Mario World on the SNES and Lion King on the sega. 16 mutherfuckin goddam bitz

Yes it looks good, but all the shitty cutscenes and lack of difficulty and meh new races and the fact that every race can just about be every class... anyway, these things i just mentioned broke any flow and distracted me to much to enjoy any of it. The only thing i will say was surprisingly good were the newer dungeons. They seemed more like a challenge because even if you have top notch gear mistakes are easily made, seemed alot more tense (I was a healer and the last time i played there heals hadn't been boosted to account for the fuck-off amount of health.)
THe fact that druids cant heal as well anymore sucked, as well as the bullshit health.

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
Cubilone said:
Do you guys know Star Control 2 for the 3DO? http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ A team ported it and perfected it for PC, and it's an amazing sci-fi RPG that's almost 20 years old!
This. So much.

Star Control 2 was brilliant for its time and it's still excellent.

Dizeazedkiller

Feb 11, 2011
Soods said:
Warcraft 3 anyone? There's still a ton of people playing it online!
The only problem is that most of them (or at least a lot of them) play the custome maps and not the original game itself. With anyone unfamiliar with WC3 mapmaker, basically its flexible enough to make an entirely different game... played on WC3.

Thought of another. The original sonic on sega, Zero the kamikaze squirrel on the sega, Toy Story on the sega, Marble Madness on the sega.
Cause the genesis does what ninten-fucking-don't

moggetstorm

Apr 13, 2011
Civilisation 1. Considering how old it is, the gameplay is still compelling and complex, interface is pretty good. Graphics and sound obviously suffer, but don't hurt the core of a solid game.