Games that have been ruined by their Fans

ItsMelvin85

Feb 29, 2008
The Guitar Hero Series, I mean I miss playing a friendly competition on normal difficulty and still struggling. Now I have to put up with expert ADHD psycho and Mr. 99% on every song.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Portal - As much of a great game (or even great Gameplay Demo, some opposite of Crysis) it was, a bunch of nerds screaming THE CAKE IS A LIE across the internet completely ruined the internet.

To hell we all screamed that but 90% stopped after the first week, while the other 10% ruined the game.

And get the fuck over with the Companion Cube.It's just a fucking cube with a a heart on it, because Portal testers were a bunch of retards who didn't know why they should carry the cube through the whole test chamber.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, I don't understand the companion cube obsession either. Any formerly great single player game that involves online play where the developers have decided to jump the shark and pander to the online crowd at the expense of the game itself. Halo 2 and 3, COD 4 come to mind as their single player modes have been all but abandoned by Bungie and Infinity Ward in favor of the less costly development on the online componant. I am sorry, but charging full price for a game that is less than eight hours is ridiculous. Can't blame the developers for trying to make an easy buck but come on people. We need to demand more from game companies, especially given how much a game costs these days.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
ItsMelvin85 said:
The Guitar Hero Series, I mean I miss playing a friendly competition on normal difficulty and still struggling. Now I have to put up with expert ADHD psycho and Mr. 99% on every song.
Your issue appears here not to be "The Fans" but that other people are better than you at Guitar Hero. And that's something you're really going to have to learn to accept about a very great many things in life.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
the halo seres for a start almost any mmorpg gears zeelda mario and sonic metal gear solid they have all just been ruined buy their respective fanboys.

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
I have some friends (and I'm using that word VERY loosely) who's a rabid Halo 3 fanboy. I finally found a way to shut him up by saying this: "I played Halo before it was even CALLED halo. I played the Marathon trilogy!" (I'm a Mac user boycotting Microsoft, and Marathon was a game made by Bungie and released in '94, EXCLUSIVELY on the Mac. Started a trilogy. When Bungie sold out to Microsoft they took the Marathon trilogy, stripped it and its storyline of all appreciable intellectual depth, upgraded the graphics, and renamed it Halo.) To this day, the Halo fandom has the unique dishonor of not just ruining ONE game series, but TWO: Halo AND Marathon. I am upset about what Sonic Team has done to their namesake. It's reached the point where I wish they'd just start over again like the people behind Batman have done. (Christian Bale for the win). I think Yahtzee really really got it right with his review of Halo 3. Now I am a Myst fan but WTF Cyan, releasing Myst on a HANDHELD?! Are you out of your fekking MIND?!

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
laikenf said:
I'm a Zelda fanboy, but I agree that it's time for a change. And by the way I LOVED what they did in Majora's and Wind Waker.
Hear hear! I can rather easily be classed as a Zelda fanboy, and yet, I'm pretty sure every game based on OoT's base engine has improved on what was offered, culminating in the awesome that is Twilight Princess.

I'm also NOT going to say Halo's been ruined (mostly because I've never played it online, so no such poor experiences) and will instead state that practically any fighting game with tournaments is auto-ruined by its fans - they obsess, they train, and they forget that the real purpose of games is to enjoy them.

Talisker

Jan 31, 2008
I'm assuming that we're talking about the rabid, screaming, dimwit fanboys as opposed to people who like the game.

That being the case I'm going to nominate COD4 and Rainbow Six Vegas, the loonies on them inspired me to only play the single player of them.

DrmChsr0

Jan 7, 2008
[insert any videogame here].

Personally, Final Fantasy 7. Waaaaaay too much hype.

PS: Barret X Cid.

neems

Jan 4, 2008
I fail to see how any level of fanboy-ism, no matter how rabid, can ruin a single player game, with the possible exception of spoilers. Yes Portal and HL2 have insane amounts of love and crazy ass fans, but so what?

Make your own mind up, and play (or not, as the case may be). Problem solved.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
neems said:
I fail to see how any level of fanboy-ism, no matter how rabid, can ruin a single player game, with the possible exception of spoilers. Yes Portal and HL2 have insane amounts of love and crazy ass fans, but so what?

Make your own mind up, and play (or not, as the case may be). Problem solved.
It didn't ruin the actual game[Portal] but changed it into a internet-wide meme.And over-abused memes suck.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
Halo 3 if only because it killed any hope of intelligent discourse on video games for at least a month.

me: "I'm really looking forward to what Ace Combat 6 will offe-"
other "HALO 3!!11!!"
me: "Well, Bungie kinda killed the single player campaign and I'm not a big mult-"
other "HALO 3 ROXORZ!!!!1!"
me: "First, please use real words. Second, Halo really went downhill after-"
other: "HALO 3!!!1!!!"
me: "Right. I'm gonna play Gears of War now."
other "HALO 3!!!!1!!!!!11"
me: "SHUT UP!"

MasterExploder

Mar 1, 2008
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say when I'm with my friends we act like complete douchebags. We find the stupidest stuff funny and screwing around on xbox live is just another joke. I find it accepted like that because we're having fun and we're not really serious. It's when people who are obviously alone in there house start yelling at you cause you cant go 40 and 1 in team deathmatch that really pisses me off.

Games I think have been ruined: Portal, Halo, WoW, SSBM

propertyofcobra

Oct 17, 2007
Halo. Halo. Halo. Also Halo. The original was decent. I'll give it that. But the fanboys... urgh.
WoW as well.

Real convo with an old friend from school.
Me: So, how about Rise of Legends? Looks like a pretty cool game.
Him: I heard of it, but I have no time or wish to play anything but WoW. Rise of Legends is gonna suck.
Me: ...What? How can you tell?
Him: Everything sucks compared to WoW. It's the best computer game.
Me: ........

(Rise of Legends ended up rocking very hard just like I thought it would, but was way too underrated. Pity.)

Also, someone want to explain why fallout fans are bad? I never met anyone who was all like "FALLOUTISTHEONLYGAMEONEARTHWORTHPLAYING!!!". They're usually "Yeah, those were great games!"

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
propertyofcobra said:
Halo. Halo. Halo. Also Halo. The original was decent. I'll give it that. But the fanboys... urgh.
WoW as well.

Real convo with an old friend from school.
Me: So, how about Rise of Legends? Looks like a pretty cool game.
Him: I heard of it, but I have no time or wish to play anything but WoW. Rise of Legends is gonna suck.
Me: ...What? How can you tell?
Him: Everything sucks compared to WoW. It's the best computer game.
Me: ........

(Rise of Legends ended up rocking very hard just like I thought it would, but was way too underrated. Pity.)

Also, someone want to explain why fallout fans are bad? I never met anyone who was all like "FALLOUTISTHEONLYGAMEONEARTHWORTHPLAYING!!!". They're usually "Yeah, those were great games!"
#1 Go here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/
#2 Read forums
#3 Now you know

Seriously, fallout fans are L-O-O-N-E-Y.
There are a few reasonable ones but most of them are just batshit. I am a fallout fanboy, and my position on F3 is rather extreme compared to most peeps out there, but these guys are SCARY. I read the forums for entertainment (like the monkey house at the zoo) value and info on mods mostly.

I have to admit that I wish that Troika (R.I.P) or Obsidian were making F3 instead of Bethesda. Elder Scrolls games are alright, but their strengths are diametrically opposed to what made fallout so wonderful. F3 might be a good game on it's own terms, but it cant live up to the legacy.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
ItsMelvin85 said:
I hate the ones that are like "HURR HURR U SUK" when it's the first time you've EVER used the PS2 controller to play the game.

JakubK666 said:
And get the fuck over with the Companion Cube.It's just a fucking cube with a a heart on it, because Portal testers were a bunch of retards who didn't know why they should carry the cube through the whole test chamber.
People took the joke of the companion cube being a serious companion seriously just as a joke. No one was ever THAT serious about killing the companion cube. They made a big deal of it because they thought it was funny.

dade-

Feb 12, 2008
Most games that come with its own side order of freshly baked bread and over-hype. Halo is by far the number one offender, but every game has its fanboys and all fanboys can burn in flames... please.