Games that have helped you in real life

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Earlier today my door knob was broken so that the door wouldn't be able to close, I noticed though that if I turned each knob slightly the middle bit would move slightly in either direction, and thus the puzzle solving began, it wasn't until after I'd done it that I realized that I'd just beaten a similar puzzle in the last game I had played and that no doubt improved my performance. Also once in history Assassins creed helped me know some stuff.

So my question is when have games helped you out in real life, in anyway at all and what games were they.

Mine were Assassins creed brotherhood and The Legend of Zelda.

teh_spartan

ultimate pwnerer
Mar 29, 2009
the first time i picked up a gun at a reange i was an amazing shot. i dont think video games helped me but think what you want.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Assassin's Creed helped me learn some profane Italian, which got me into some decent convos with a hot Italian chick before.

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
I had a media exam in high-school, where there was a whole section about representations in the media and about 4 topics to choose from. I chose women and went on for 2 pages about how games are trying to portray women as stronger, and more equal. An example is Mass Effect 2, where you can play Male or Female, and they're both badass. In fact, I thought FemShep's voice lent itself better to galaxy-saving hero.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Aside from making me wonder how things would be different if I had a power suit, a gun with a chainsaw, generic portal useage, etc....no, not really. Most games take things out of reality and make them bigger/better/OHGODIHAVEAPORTALGUN.

teh_spartan said:
the first time i picked up a gun at a reange i was an amazing shot. i dont think video games helped me but think what you want.
Damn, I thought you were going to say that time slowed down allowing you to get perfect shots, and the world got all blurryish.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
After playing Half Life I have learned that a shotgun is the best gun to use against zombies. Being serious, games like Fable helped my moral compass quite a bit. During my younger years it was in-between little prick and good person. Now its firmly in awesome nice person who sometimes acts like a dick to others.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
Oblivion [http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5945134533&v=info] did.

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
today, actually, sat in history class, told to brainstorm(spider diagram) some stuff about WWII, so W@W got me some names there (PPSH-41,MP40,Panzerschreck)

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
Reaper195 said:
Aside from making me wonder how things would be different if I had a power suit, a gun with a chainsaw, generic portal useage, etc....no, not really. Most games take things out of reality and make them bigger/better/OHGODIHAVEAPORTALGUN.

teh_spartan said:
Damn, I thought you were going to say that time slowed down allowing you to get perfect shots, and the world got all blurryish.
that's happened in a dodgeball game 3 different times(and 1 time during cricket), the world has slowed down, i have remade the matrix and i have sped time back up as i get back up,(the part where he dodges bullets and goes backwards, that but not for as long and more accidental)

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
Remember that alien invasion yesterday where the aliens took over the entire human race and forced us to work in the mines on the moon but then I singlehandedly defeated and just before they fled back the their planet and released the human race they erased all of our memories of it ever happening except for mine because I was too busy murdering them to have my memories erased? yah all that halo helped me do that.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Well I'm gonna have to disappoint I can't list anything with guns or crazy bullet time stuff or zombie survival. Mine was the Original Dragon Warrior on the NES. I started to play that about the same time I was learning to read. That game helped me learn to read so much and expanded my vocabularly tremendously as a child. I was likely the only kid in my grade school to know what a Wyvren was, or a sSand Golem, Dread Knight or a Blue Slim.

Also WTF is with the captcha asking me questions I don't know. How am I suppose to know who Ron Howard is working with for pro ject Imation8tion.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
At first, I thought Fallout taught me how to pick locks, but those games only told me the tools. What you do with 'em is a bit different.

Drtfgf5

May 24, 2011
Hm?
Unusually I learned daftly how to lockpick from Fallout 3.
Fable (2 & 3) made me think ahead.
Chess made me think 7 moves ahead. (REALS)`

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Malfy said:
Assassin's Creed helped me learn some profane Italian, which got me into some decent convos with a hot Italian chick before.
I mostly got swears and insults from AC. Foglio di puttana, pezza di merda and some other stuff (I apologise for any misspellings).

Requiescat en pace (Latin) was my favourite phrase from the series so far, however.

OT: I've learnt some knowledge through gaming, but I can't think of any specific ways in which it has helped me. Sorry.

Captain Underbeard

Mar 8, 2011
Actually, I'd argue that games helped me become very analytical, to the point where I could deconstruct and then construct my own systems. After all, games are just about playing around with numbers...

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Fable taught me that there is no middle ground, and no matter what you'll do, you still get wings.

Call of Duty taught me that in war, you don't try to save your own life, or hide behind cover; you run in, guns blazing everywhere. Every time you take damage, just hide behind a random brick wall for five seconds and you're good to go!

The Impossible Game taught me that squares are badass. Triangles are just evil.

The Game taught me that people don't like The Game.

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
I think that the reason that I was so calm the first time I fired a gun was due in part to the number of hours I've spent playing FPSs. Most of my friends told me that they were really nervous. Also, I already knew how the iron sights are supposed to be lined up.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Silent Hill 2 taught me to deal with my psychological issues and not repress anything, or an evil town will throw rape-monsters at me.

BookBeast

Jan 2, 2010
I forget where I heard this theory, but apparently playing video games helps people improve their ability to generalize to new situations - in other words, it makes them better able to analyze and adapt to new things. If this is true, then my gaming hobby has helped me develop skills that are very useful in my current job.