Games That Need Anime Adaptations

Yuki_Seele

Apr 14, 2011
I would really like to see a Muramasa: The Demon Blade anime series, it could work very well especialy if it was animated by one of the bigger budget anime studios such as Production IG, Gainax or Kyoto Animation, Ghibli could also do a very good job of adapting the game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I would rather have adaptations done in a way that fits the style of the product. I can not see Anime lending itself well to something like Star Wars or Warhammer 40K. Something like Samurai Warriors? Yeah, it could work.

It depends. And you shouldn't disregard other styles of animation either. Some adaptations work better than others. Being anime does not inherently make something great. It needs to suit the context.

And another thing: if someone is trying to make a point about why they feel anime isn't the best fit for a certain creation, don't go out and start pulling the "you don't know what you're talking about" bullshit. If someone chooses to dislike anime because they watched some bad series (and there are a lot of them), it doesn't give you the right to act all smug and condescending. You won't win them over by insulting them.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
a touhou anime is in desperate need of being made, considering alot of people think it's an anime to begin with.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
Man, we have already been burned by too many poor adaptations of video games to other media. There has yet to be a worthwhile movie made, and most of the Anime that I have seen has been an abomination. Anyone remember the Anime based off of Final Fantasy 5? It was a solid adaptation if you left out the characters, changed the setting, changed the plot, and gave it a really, really creepy S&M feel.

If we are going strictly Anime, most Western made games would be out. Anything by Bioware, Bethesda, or the other Western studios would not translate well. Even if we broadened the scope to allow western animation or live action most every game has had an equivalent show that is better. Mass Effect? I will just watch Star Wars or Firefly. Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls? I can watch Game of Thrones or The Lord of the Rings. Fallout? Road Warrior. Even going back to some of the older games you have the same problem. If you ignore the pretty bad adaptation of Wing Commander, it would not work in the film or television mediums because Battlestar Galactica did everything it could hope to do but better and first. The one thought I had was an over the top satirical adaptation of Grand Theft Auto, but then I remembered they basically did that in Canada and called it the Trailer Park Boys.

That leaves us with Japanese games. Metal Gear seems obvious, but the later games were one giant cut-scene anyway. I would be loath to see another Final Fantasy adaptation; if they screwed up the earlier games (which I know Square would, or would allow someone else to do) I would never forgive them and the latter works are not worth the time. No More Heroes would be fun for about 5 episodes, but it lends itself more towards a short run. I might watch that, but if they expect to milk it for multiple seasons they would ruin it. This is the problem with most games.

Really the best choice I can see is the Phoenix Wright games as a long-running episodic show. It would be Japanese Law and Order for kids/teens. You can fit a case easily into a half hour format and the art style already lends itself to the medium. It's over the top and goofy while still having just enough grit to pull in viewers over the age of 15.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I want to see Shin Migami Tenshi Devil Survivor anime. Would be awesome.

No More Heroes would be awesome as well. I'd love to see a NMH anime. An Alice Madness Returns anime would be cool if made by the team who did Higurshi.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
noahd said:
ff7 had an anime ova.
They've done an 3d movie that was done totally american style and ruined the whole movie.
Actually, there have been two Final Fantasy movies and one complete series.
Final Fantasy: The Spirits within
Final Fantasy VII : Advent Children
Final Fantasy unlimited.

FFU is ,sadly, one of the worst series I had ever had the misfortune to buy. It had many opportunities but screwed up each and every one of them.
"The Spirits Within" didn't have a clear enough "Final Fantasy" Theme to be associated with the series. Story, Design and Technology where very good if judged on their own.
"Advent Children"... gorgous to look at, but the story was all over the place.

Yea - Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver would be quite good anime material.

Some good artwork for 40k, anime style:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/File:TheMournival.jpg
http://wallpapers.hdesktop.com/anime-wallpaper/Techpriest-1161x972-P31344/
Tau just exist because GW realized they could capitalize on the japanese mecha-fanbase.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
Fappy said:
Title says it all. Are there any games that you guys think would make a perfect anime adaptation? We've seen it done in the past (some bad, some good), and it seems it is happening more and more these days.

I personally cast my vote in for a BlazBlue anime, its a perfect fit: anime archetypal characters, convoluted plot, a vampire with white hair and a red jacket and a fantasy/sci-fi world that has already been rendered beautifully in an anime style.

Can you guys think of any others?
From what I've seen, most games make shit anime, with the exception of visual novel style games that don't really have any gameplay, just branching story paths, like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

BlazBlue might make a decent anime, as long as there wasn't too much angsty bullshit like in some of the characters story paths, and they followed it from the point of view of one character, probably with Rachel as some sort of omnipotent narrator.

Michael Delvey

Dec 9, 2010
UncleUlty said:
Michael Delvey said:
Phoenix Wright, I mean every time I play the series I picture it as an anime in my head anyway. Every game is a full season. Every time I see the to be continued title, I pictured as an ending of an episode. I mean look at this fan made intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVJ1_Un6qU
I was under the impression that that was made by the people who did the original intro but it could just be here say. Though either way a phoenix wright anime would be damned awesome.

Other than that maybe a Devil survivor anime,probably be depressing as hell though. It'd might be hard to do with all the possibilities the game has for characters and routes.
If it was made by the same studio who did the original. Then they must call Capcom "Wright" away to get the anime "Wrights" to make the show. This must be made!

P.S. Ignore the puns.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Hmm...

Oblivion the anime GOGO!

Ok not really, I wouldn't mind a street fighter 4 anime series though.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
Sarah Kerrigan said:
An Alice Madness Returns anime would be cool if made by the team who did Higurshi.
The problem with that is that Madness Returns didn't have much of a story. It had plot elements loosely strung together to form an excuse to go traversing through the twisted environments of Alice's mind. If some sort of adaption were to be made, it would likely have a lot of extra shit thrown in so it didn't feel so utterly disjointed. It would also probably only be a single OVA episode, or else it would get so pointlessly stretched out that everyone would hate it.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Michael Delvey said:
UncleUlty said:
Michael Delvey said:
Phoenix Wright, I mean every time I play the series I picture it as an anime in my head anyway. Every game is a full season. Every time I see the to be continued title, I pictured as an ending of an episode. I mean look at this fan made intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVJ1_Un6qU
I was under the impression that that was made by the people who did the original intro but it could just be here say. Though either way a phoenix wright anime would be damned awesome.

Other than that maybe a Devil survivor anime,probably be depressing as hell though. It'd might be hard to do with all the possibilities the game has for characters and routes.
If it was made by the same studio who did the original. Then they must call Capcom "Wright" away to get the anime "Wrights" to make the show. This must be made!

P.S. Ignore the puns.
Moe the Clown would be proud of you or utterly ashamed I'm not sure.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
i wouldnt say NEEDS,but for a good laugh any dungeons and dragons games,or baldur's gate xD

just to ***** at and say "my god this is terrible!" we need some bad movies/animes so why not bucher this? im a fan of the stuff but i would love to see how it would be incorprated and see it fall flat and burned at the stake...i would be there for the ritual burning,bring alot of people together for a hatred of one thing,though i dont think this was exactly what you had in mind P:

Ace2991

Jul 28, 2010
That shit is so funny and so damn true. I bet the Japanese would pull of something stupid like that, but add Gundams and real Ninjas not just the perks to the series.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
the final fantasy games would do a lot better as anime.
and one set in the fallout world would be good.
also, why is the protagonist in Oblivion in jail? it bugs me to this day... it plagues me at night, i awaken in a sweat curious as to his crime! jk i dont sleep at night. i'm to buys doing this. but they have that part of the game they can explore. maybe a cross-country escape from the guards for a murder he committed in an argument with his best friend due to him sleeping with his wife, who was actually using a Control spell on him during the affair and murder, then halfway through the guilt at reading about the character being chased across the country commits suicide.
actually, fuck that idea: its better portrayed live-action in my mind. anyone want to do such an epic project?

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
Disgaea 2 considering what they can do with the game nippon ichi could make it really as long as they follow the story.
Something following the type of Bioshock atmosphere and narrative for obvious reasons.
And Ratchet and Clank for just some fun and seeing how it works out.