Games that reversed your opinion of a series

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
What game caused you to completely reconsider your opinion of a series, for better or worse? For me, it was Civilization 5: I played the third one a few years back and I couldn't go five minutes without having to wade through menus, my people revolting, or the advisors reminding me what a bad job I'm doing, so I was a bit wary about Civ 5. As it turns out, I think it's great; I guess all the streamlining they did was targeted to people like me.

So, your two cents on the matter?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Sonic 2006, for the worse obviously. I used to like the Sonic games, but alas... I don't think I have an example of changing for the better.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Street Fighter 4 changed my opinion on Street Fighter with the fantastic, colorful new graphic style.

Persona 3 & 4 changed my opinions on the Shin Megami Tensei series for the better.

Every Wild ARMs after WA3 just got worse and worse, to the point that I didn't bother with the PSP strategy game.

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl made me realize just how crazy deep Pokemon really is. I like it just as much as before, but now I just look at the games differently.

Mass Effect 2 made me lose faith in Bioware's ability to make an RPG. I may skip out on ME3 entirely. Dragon Age 2 is still solid, but I wasn't allowed to access half the menus in the demo, so I'll see about that.

Borderlands reversed my opinions on an entire DEVELOPER. Go, Gearbox! You can do more than WW2 shooters after all!

Durxom

May 12, 2009
I loved Mass Effect. I had my completed playthrough all ready, I had preordered Mass Effect 2, my very first preorder, the Collector's Edition even. I was already for it.....then I played it...ugh -_-

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Durxom said:
I loved Mass Effect. I had my completed playthrough all ready, I had preordered Mass Effect 2, my very first preorder, the Collector's Edition even. I was already for it.....then I played it...ugh -_-
This. I was ready to declare the ME trilogy as the best gaming trilogy ever after 1. Then I played 2. It wasn't bad, just...average and a full on shooter.

sdmblack

Apr 18, 2010
Durxom said:
I'm just curious, but what was it that was so bad? i played the hell out of mass effect 1 (at least 9 playthroughs, though the most recent one was just to get a SPOTLESS character to import to 2) and though they are both good, the combat seemed far better in mass effect 2. the level up system was gimped, sure, and noone really likes the probes, but i found it fairly good (though the overall plot focused mostly on character development than overarching accomplishment)

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
cgmetallica1981 said:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Castlevania series
Street Fighter IV - Fighting games
...So they changed your opinion for the better, I assume?

Durxom

May 12, 2009
sdmblack said:
Durxom said:
I'm just curious, but what was it that was so bad? i played the hell out of mass effect 1 (at least 9 playthroughs, though the most recent one was just to get a SPOTLESS character to import to 2) and though they are both good, the combat seemed far better in mass effect 2. the level up system was gimped, sure, and noone really likes the probes, but i found it fairly good (though the overall plot focused mostly on character development than overarching accomplishment)
I just did not like it at all. I liked Mass Effect 1 because it still felt like a Bioware RPG even though it was trying a new direction, there was lots of character interaction, leveling was fun, the inventory was fun, and the Mako too. But instead of trying to fix or tweak the different parts, Bioware just went and straight up removed good parts out of the game, made the combat extremely generic, took away most of the character development(especially on the older characters, ie. "sorry, I'm busy doing these callibrations, Shepard"), and pretty much toned down everything I liked about the first one.

It felt more like a spin-off than an actual sequel =/

sdmblack

Apr 18, 2010
also, more on topic, it was about when i got a translated copy of black and white that i realized the crazy depth of pokemon, and the exact level of awesome that was exuded by my level 75 grass starter...final evolution thing's 188 un ev-trained speed. most proud of a pokemon i ever been :)

Teroch

Dec 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Mass Effect 2 made me lose faith in Bioware's ability to make an RPG. I may skip out on ME3 entirely. Dragon Age 2 is still solid, but I wasn't allowed to access half the menus in the demo, so I'll see about that.
Are you serious about that?
I downloaded the DA2 demo and the grapics were awesomely bad and it was just like a hack'n'slash with a totally overloaded amount of violence. ME2 in comparison was waaay better!

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Final Fantasy X-2

-> Square-Enix CAN make a lousy JRPG without a decent story or any interesting character!

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

-> In my naive young days, I always thought a game was good because the series was good. Final Fantasy, Crash Bandicoot, etc. But with this stinker, I realized that it are the people behind it. May seem like the most obvious thing ever, but I was like 12 or something. It made me lose all hope in the Spyro, destroyed a little of the 'magic' that I believed surrounded the game medium AND made me a bit more of a cynical bastard.

Shin Megami Tensei: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army

-> Made me realize not all SMT-titles are pure gold... Just most of them.

Shadow Hearts: From The New World

-> Worst. End. To a trilogy. Ever. The series ended after this one, so I don't know if this counts as "losing hope in he series".

Jak II: Renegade

-> Finishing with a good experience to wash away the taste of the bad ones. Jak & Daxter was a nice little platformer, but it didn't really "wow" me. The sequel changed everything: a combination of open world and individual levels. physical combat combined with guns, without losing track of the classic platforming elements and puzzles. Insanely awesome humor. Tons of stuff to do (you could complete the original Jak & Daxter 100% in just one afternoon + evening). And the story was a lot more fleshed out.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Super Mario Galaxy made me finally realize the consistent creativity that Ninentdo employs when creating games.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
Me and a friend rented a copy of Metroid: Other M near launch day. Giddy with anticipation, we plopped down near the awesome 1080p definition capable television where we proceeded to carefully insert the disk. I was sadden to discover that there wasn't any definition settings to heighten the pure ecstasy that we were about to plunge ourselves into.

My friend soon lost interest in it, but I kept going through with it like a man on a mission. I was terribly confused at why they would choose such a terrible way to exert Samus's personality on us since the bland and mono dialogue was doing absolutely nothing for me.

Everything looked fantastic, except the difficulty was frustratingly easy to where I began falling into sleeping cycles while playing. I advanced through the plot, one segment after another. Dismayed to continue any further, I finally got up to the point where Adam and Samus reunite near the lab.

I heard all of these wonderful things with how there's a new type of experimental metroid species that is immune to frost and highly dangerous. I was pumped, ready to go, and then he gets the retarded idea to leave Samus behind with the rest of the Bottle Ship as the space lab slowly drifted off into the unknown. I began to cry, not at Adam's brave sacrifice, but how the game trolled me into thinking that it would live up to the standards that I wanted it to.

Running hastily through the corridors of the ship to escape the breaking segments, I soon later arrive at the end of the game where I met that strange girl that strangely belonged with the Dead or Alive series, given her attractive appearance and the idea of her belonging in a bikini. Many cut-scenes later, the game ends. No self-destruct sequence, no conclusive boss, no reasonable or unforgettable plot either. My heart was broken.

I discovered shortly after that I could continue the game, even after it was finished. Surely, I found another boss as a sort of "consolation prize for being trolled". It was Phatoom which made me happy. The very last thing that I did was picking of Adam's helmet. It then initiated a self destruct sequence and I was like,

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I picked up a helmet and it triggered the self-destruct sequence. I understand that they were going to blow up the ship after she finished any needed business there, but this? Bullcrap, they're just trying to give fan service where it doesn't have any effect in this pile of a terrible sequel.

Yet, this one awful game hasn't torn down my positive attitude towards the series. At least I can still enjoy Metroidvania every once in a while to pretend it's a sequel.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
OH! Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventures ruined both of those series for me. I haven't really played either series since.

Super Mario 64 was great for me, yet Sonic Adventures fell short with me and continued to produce a series of hideous bastard children that plagued the face of the Earth.

Has anyone actually set down and tried to enjoy Sonic Adventures? It's overall crap. But that's my opinion.

Mr spank

Jan 30, 2010
Resident Evil 5 ruined that series for me. i loved the originals with their goofy voice acting and weird story lines. even RE4 was kind of a stretch for me, it was good but could have been better. i never truly got into it the way i did with the PS1 originals.

Silent Hill Homecoming and Origins ruined that series. the first 3 will always be amazing to me but unless some company can bring it back to the way the originals felt when you played them, with their crazy psychological shenanigans, i don't think i'll be going near another silent hill game again. so sad, as i really like this series

Halo Reach made me really like thatseries as a whole again. i pretty much stopped playing these games until reach came out, then i dusted off Halos' 1-3 and played them again. of course i'm really only talking about the campaign for these games, don't really care much for the multiplayer.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Tales of Symphonia doesn't have any sequels that could possibly make me hate the series. Nope. No sequels here. There definitely isn't a sequel for me to hate.

[sub]Why can't Dawn of a New World stop existing?[/sub]

PlasmaFrog said:
Has anyone actually set down and tried to enjoy Sonic Adventures?
I have. I enjoyed both Adventure 1 and 2. I know that a lot of people don't though.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
FF13 was the final nail in the coffin for me. I legitimately thought that the Final Fantasy Series had a great deal of potential, and that with some refinement, I could play a game that I could say I really liked without extensive qualifying statements, but FF13 tossed that attitude right into the trash. Once you make a game that bad, there's no coming back.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Durxom said:
I KNEW IT!
I knew I wasn't the only one.
ME2 absolutely shattered my faith in the rest of the series. i'll be watching 3 very closely, but I highly doubt I will buy it.
-Tabs<3-