Games That Time Forgot

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Games That Time Forgot

Shamus wonders why some games don't get the franchise they deserve

Read Full Article

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I didn't play the original but played the hell out of starflight 2.

But star control 2 still has a place in my heart as one of the greatest games ever made. The writing was funny and insightful, the universe was well developed and vibrant and decisions actually had consequences.

And it was really really fun.

X-COM had a good run. TFTD refined the formula and if you have it a chance you will see Apocalypse did a really good job with the turn based/realtime transition. Not to mention the awesome destructible environments.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
you piloted a little ship through a three-dimensional maze and blew up robots to a pulsing electronic soundtrack. It was a first person shooter where the "person" was a futuristic fighter plane and you usually couldn't tell which direction was up.
I know you were talking about a completely different game, but I couldn't stop thinking about Forsaken for the N64 after that description.

AlgarWolf

Nov 25, 2008
I have not seen Descent in a long time. I'm going to have to reinstall my old copy of 1 and 2 now. Thanks.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Silent Storm (2004) came pretty close to X-Com, at least where the tactical combat is concerned.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, if you want space action, Freespace 2 is on GoG.com for $6.99.

Not exactly Starflight, but its still really fun.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
starflight (megadrive version) is one of my favourite games star control 2 was really really good but I only played that years after it was first released.

Atrophy

Dec 12, 2009
May I suggest Republic Commando as a game that definitely should have got a sequel.

Feb 13, 2008
Shamus Young said:
X-Com was a complicated and unforgiving game of resource management tactical combat.
This seems to be the industries main move at the moment, and it's something we've all talked about before. The Industry's main fears are complex and unforgiving.

Bioshock took the super-harsh System Shock, gave it a nice coat of paint, dipped it in Atlas Shrugged and made it almost impossible to fail.

And complexity has been steadily been reduced as far as possible. Even in MMO-RPGs, there are "set builds" to max DPS, which reduces the play experience to "use spell on bad guy".

Tagging back to the old "Deaths need to mean something", it'd be good if the Industry understood that while their main audience like a pick-up-and-go, there's a lot of money to be made on slightly tougher games. Super Meat Boy sold well, Chime sold well, and while neither are complex, they are unforgiving. Complexity doesn't always need a huge manual, as Civilisation 5 shows, but SimCity/The Sims show how much interest there is in complex life management simulations. I'm willing to bet that The Sims even gives Call of Duty pause for thought in the money stakes.

But no-one's gone into it, even after the success of the above games and others like Syndicate,the Tycoon series, Vampire, Dungeon Keeper.

Hell, even Dope Wars is a fun little waste of time and it's a lot more complex and unforgiving than most of the Triple As. Possibly not the greatest subject matter, but change it to sweets or lemonade and you could sell it on the App Store.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Irridium said:

Freespace is amazing, great game even today thanks to the awesome community constantly adding more to it.

Southpaw Samurai

Mar 2, 2010
One of the reasons I enjoyed the Mako sessions of Mass Effect is that they kind of felt like a modernized version of the whole planetside landing/exploring/resource gathering of the Starflight series.

Now I need to dust off my Amiga again to give the games a whirl...

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'll die happy if they ever make a proper sequel to Crusader: No Remorse

I never got Crusader: No Regret and I've always . . . . well regretted that.

garoose

Apr 3, 2010
Oh Descent! My dad used to play the first two with me :D (that and Quakes I and II, and BGII). Good memories fosho. My favorite part was blowing the reactor and flying out the escape-shoot, and that sweet cut-scene that played when you did. I've tryed a couple times to beat Descent II again, but it's hard to get back into those old games.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Star Control 2 ranks as the best game of all time, as far as I'm concerned. Starflight 2 is not far behind (I didn't play first one until many years later).

I badly miss the entire space exploration genre. The closest we've got in many, many years have been primarily flight sims, and that just misses the point.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Though I never played it personally, your description of Starflight seems like it would be right up Mojang's alley for their next game. It sounds like a sci-fi space themed version of Minecraft, and that sounds like nothing short of life-devastating awesomeness.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
You also might be interested in UFO: The Two Sides, a more faithful remake of the original that's essentially just a high res update from the original game. Pretty far along into development too, missing city textures which makes Terror missions nearly impossible and the pedia isn't up yet, but everything else works perfectly!

NLS said:
Irridium said:

Freespace is amazing, great game even today thanks to the awesome community constantly adding more to it.
Freespace is actually a spinoff series from Descent if you didn't know. The first game is named Descent: Freespace, and it's technically a continuation of Descents story. Kinda like Tribes was a spinoff of the old Starsiege and Earthsiege games.

Sometimes the spinoff become more popular and well known that their originators. Go figure!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Great article and loads of great suggestions so far. for anyone who liked Magic Carpet you should check out Sacrifice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_%28video_game%29

It's a crime this never caught on

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Damn, now I gotta fish up our old copy of Decent 2. First game to ever give me serious vertigo/headaches. Great stuff, that. Fortunately a couple decades of gaming have boosted my tolerance for crazy 3D action awesomeness.

Djed Moros

Jun 7, 2010
Irridium said:

FreeSpace 2 went Open Source some years ago and has spawned tons of high-quality mods and total conversions. One of the more prominent examples is the Babylon 5 Project.
I'm still hoping for a successor to the series. The ending to the game was incredibly well done (I got blown to bits by the supernova while heroically defending a medical transport) and one of the rare occasions where mankind simply lost. In my opinion, this game is the pinnacle of space simulators up to this day.

Anyways, really nice article. If someone hasn't played UFO: Alien Invasion, I'd highly recommend it. The game runs very stable and offers lots of features in its current build. Only downside is that it's still in development.
Magic Carpet with a contemporary engine ... oh, sweet dreams ...