Games That Time Forgot

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
Descents amazing, I got a hold of 1 and 2 on playstation recently as part of a nostalgia binge (see also: Rayman 1), and have said pulsing electronic soundtrack on my ipod. I made a friend play it and he got motion sickness.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
A nice article. I always wondered what happened to Vagrant story?

It was set for a sequel and it was Square trying something a little different. Well worth another bash. Instead we get to trudge through more dull FFxxx.

Most of the games I wish for sequels to are turnbased so I know its not going to happen. People don't seem to have the patience for them anymore.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
That Starflight game sounds a little like Escape Velocity. My first family computer was a Mac, so I'm reasonably well acquainted with Ambrosia Software. EV was basically a game with a top-down view where you start off with a little shuttle and do odd jobs trying to get better ships/equipment. Eventually, you can get a big capital ship with fighters and try to take over the various star systems by weathering some seriously brutal attacks. It was a simple game, but fun and super-expandable. I remember playing a big mod that added a bunch of planets and tech from the Babylon V series (not that I ever watched it, but the fact that it was possible was cool).

I'd love to see an updated and expanded version of that. Spore did something similar with its space segment, but not quite on the level I'd like. Maybe take Spore's style of galaxy travel (with some better navigation options), then put it in some better progression and RPG elements on an epic political backdrop and we'd be approaching what I'm talking about.

Ah, one can dream.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Shamus Young said:
X-Com was a complicated and unforgiving game of resource management tactical combat.
This seems to be the industries main move at the moment, and it's something we've all talked about before. The Industry's main fears are complex and unforgiving.
The industry is chopping out anything that might be a threat to accessibility.

Games that could only be beaten by practice and repetition are almost entirely a thing of yesterday.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: Games That Time Forgot

Shamus wonders why some games don't get the franchise they deserve

Read Full Article
So does this mean that Experienced Points is officailly back from hiatus? I always liked this column and was sad when it wasn't around.

If it has returned then count me among the many readers who are happy about it becoming a regular feature again.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Sacrifice. If ever there was a game that deserved more it was this. Fell through a gap between genres which confused the hell out of people, and also was almost like the Crysis of it's day in needing some pretty hefty resources to get going.
But the things it did and still does. The look of the game drew you in more than most others I can think of.

On a lsightly related note, I also with Planet Moon studios hadn't gone the shitty handheld game and Wii route as Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Armed & Dangerous were, if not the most innovative, two of the funniest games I've ever played. And so few studios do funny. Or at least, do it well.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Ah; the only two of those I knew were Descent and X-Com... both awesome games. (I actually just started up a new round of X-com).

Man; I wish Descent would get a true-to-the-original reboot/spiritual successor. That's a genre I could really see some more of.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I can't help it but Beyond Good and Evil filled me with revulsion. I found the gameplay uninspired and unwieldy (shooting neon goop from my camera ranked high on my annoying game mechanics list), and even my partner, who didn't play it, to this day hates the game for the constant barking chatter in the backgrounds wherever I went that drove her insane.

It's never occurred to me to lament the lack of a sequel on that one.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Zakarath said:
Man; I wish Descent would get a true-to-the-original reboot/spiritual successor. That's a genre I could really see some more of.
Agreed. There simply aren't enough free-flying, space shooter/puzzlers out there... or at all for that matter.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
AlgarWolf said:
I have not seen Descent in a long time. I'm going to have to reinstall my old copy of 1 and 2 now. Thanks.
My mom played the heck out of that game, joystick and all. And I got a kick out of watching her play it being to young to at the time, that and Readneak Rampage.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
Oh wow, I remember/miss Descent. Haven't heard that game mentioned in a long time. I played that thing so much.

I vaguely remember Magic Carpet but never got very far with it.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Descent 1/2 were the first games I could play over the Internet via the magic of the Kali program (translated LAN network protocols into Internet TCP/IP and connected you up with servers on which you could just start the game, hit LAN Multiplayer, and kadoom- it worked! 20 bucks lifetime).

I had So Much Fun with Descent II online and the custom levels like Stadium, SpeedRacer, etc. I miss having something like that now.

Shieldage

May 20, 2010
bjj hero said:
A nice article. I always wondered what happened to Vagrant story?
Just downloaded it off the PS3 Store :D

rsvp42 said:
That Starflight game sounds a little like Escape Velocity. My first family computer was a Mac, so I'm reasonably well acquainted with Ambrosia Software. EV was basically a game with a top-down view where you start off with a little shuttle and do odd jobs trying to get better ships/equipment. Eventually, you can get a big capital ship with fighters and try to take over the various star systems by weathering some seriously brutal attacks. It was a simple game, but fun and super-expandable. I remember playing a big mod that added a bunch of planets and tech from the Babylon V series (not that I ever watched it, but the fact that it was possible was cool).
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/ Escape Velocity Nova is a sequel running on modern/Windows systems. Check out the plug-ins. There's mods which let you run the original and the previous sequel storylines through reasonable approximations of their old interfaces. Looks like there's also a mod for Star Trek ships...

Here is a complex and awesome retelling of Stargate with X-COM tech: http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-16092/Hotpoint+XSGCOM+Goa+uld+Defence.htm

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Oh man, I played Starflight for weeks and never got anywhere but it was AWESOME.

Also, Sacrifice = Awesome

Jul 9, 2008
Nitram22 said:
May I suggest Republic Commando as a game that definitely should have got a sequel.
Yes! While the Star Wars franchise as a whole has been thoroughly milked, that particular sub-franchise needs a sequel now. It was so amazing, albeit quite a bit different from the other games on the list.

Also, Shamus, I know you touched on it briefly, but I'll just say it again: Mirror's Edge. I don't care what people I say, I loved that game. I played it to death, it was so amazing. Sure, it had flaws, but they were the kind that could have been gotten rid of with a sequel. No flaws were inherent to the concept (except the no-looking-at-feet thing, but really, I thought that particular flaw was seriously overblown).

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
Break said:
you piloted a little ship through a three-dimensional maze and blew up robots to a pulsing electronic soundtrack. It was a first person shooter where the "person" was a futuristic fighter plane and you usually couldn't tell which direction was up.
I know you were talking about a completely different game, but I couldn't stop thinking about Forsaken for the N64 after that description.
Forsaken was also out on PC. Pretty much Descent, yeah, but with a stupid story and bad single player. Multiplayer was fun though.

Nicos Amblecrown

Feb 23, 2010
So amazed and glad to see the Sacrifice love!

That and the Spellforce games define my ideal genre. They could all use some tweaking, but overall, that style of game needs to exist more in the world.

More space exploration sims too! I've tried it, but I can't get into EVE and the only thing that's come close to Freespace 2 is maybe X2 or X3. Anyway, it's a tragically underused genre.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
Damn, now I gotta fish up our old copy of Decent 2. First game to ever give me serious vertigo/headaches. Great stuff, that. Fortunately a couple decades of gaming have boosted my tolerance for crazy 3D action awesomeness.
All the Descent games are on Gog.com, and I believe they're bundled with DosBox to ensure they run on the latest computers. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/descent_1_descent_2

Of all these titles, Starflight sounds the most interesting to me, although it seems pretty hard to find a copy of these days. Maybe Star Control would be easier to track down....

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure I read that the rumors of the demise of Mirrors Edge Sequel were false... pretty sure I read that posted by our own people Russ.... :)