Games that truly frightened you.

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
Silent hill 1, never could get past the dark alley at the start, and the noise of the siren...*shudders*

N1ceDreamz

Mar 23, 2010
Silent hill 2, the monsters themselves weren't all thatscary but the atmosphere and the fact that you could be attacked at anytime really scared me.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
Furburt said:
Henrik Persson said:
One part of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. No other game/movie/whatever has even come close.
Hotel, yeah?

That level freaked me out good. I mean, you're a vampire in that game, and it's still scary!
Oh god, yes. Games or movies rarely scare me, but I had to play it without sound and in the third person. Dead Space wasn't as scary as that one, single level.

Parattchi

Sep 25, 2008
Only two things have ever scared me:
First of all, F.E.A.R. 'Nuff said.

The second is the gorram Shalebridge Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Scared the crap out of me the first time I played it.

shwnbob

May 16, 2009
Condemned, the first one not the second one. Being chased around a normal house by a serial killer... I kept having to look behind my own back when I was playing that part.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
I wont lie and this may be kinda sad..but...in all honesty,D1 scared me at the time it first came out. the atmosphere in that game ACTUALLY generated genuine fear from me from almost just the sound effects and music alone.

but as for more recent games. Bioshock and its better predecessor, System Shock 2.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
Silent Hill 4 was the only game that freaked me out so bad that I had to stop playing. I put it down for 5 days once before i could bring myself to play it again. None of the other games in the series ever had that kind of effect on me. I think the first person mode in the apartment really helped give the sense of fear I had.

Benarikun

Dec 3, 2008
Playing the demo of Fatal Frame with a mate gave us both nightmares, but I recovered pretty quickly from that one. Also playing Eternal Darkness at 2 in the morning when you're 9 isn't the best idea when horrible gribbly things comes out and try to eat your face at every single turn, though it kicked arse when you had magick.

Also, loosing your sanity and watching your character lose his/her head, picking it back up only for it to sprout gibberish at you, watching giant insects crawling over the screen, blood pouring from the walls, the terrifying (at the time) music that started up when you'd lost like 80% of your san and randomly exploding in a gory shower. Got to love sanity.

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
Quite a wierd one but Abe's Oddessy and Exodus frightened me as a kid. Just the characters, the creatures, the sounds and the environments, they were very eerie and disturbing.

mrfusspot

May 19, 2009
Ravenholm in Half-Life 2, or the first FEAR.
I even skip Ravenholm whenever I play through Half-Life, just 'cause it still terrifies me. Even in the middle of the day.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
Demon's Souls

Dark, creepy, EVERYTHING can and WILL kill you, and scary, bizarre monsters.

Oh and since I can not play during the day because of screen glares, I'm force to play when it's darker out.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
If I were to look back all the way to the first game that truly frightened me, it would be Commander Keen. Specifically the Dopefish level.

After that, I recall being incredibly creeped out the first time I encountered the zombie enemies in Quake 1.

Then there was Resident Evil 3 with the Nemesis or dogs crashing through windows at the most inopportune moments.

The most recent game to scare me was Dead Space. And on a second run-through on hard mode I was utterly terrified.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
LordNue said:
When I was a little kid RE2 scared me. It was the dogs. As a child I had a fear of big dogs (dobermans in particular thanks to one angry bastard dog that lived not far from my home) and seeing them zombified and angry scared me. The atmosphere of Fatal Frame 2 got me a bit too, until the ghosts started to appear. The ghosts were less scary then the haunted town.
Back in the day, I remember playing and shitting myself to RE2, when I was about 11, I remember me and a friend working together to complete it, long story short, he went for tea and I refused to play as all I could hear was a lickers breathing noise, regardless to say, I needed a change of pants.

Also, Silent Hill 2 used to shit me up. The most recent game Dead Space was scary, but only scary in the sense that it could make you jump at some points.