Games that truly frightened you.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Penumbra is the only game I haven't finished because I simply didn't have the cojones. About 4 hours straight I was so messed up I turned on all the lights, put on a warm sweater and listened to Avril Lavigne for two hours...

...yeah, that bad.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I'm pretty easily scared to be honest... but these are the scariest games I've played:

* The marine campaign from the "original" PC AvP game.
* Dead space (had to turn off the sound... I hate jump scares)
* The Penumbra games (especially Black plague since you can't kill the enemies in that game)

Wizco

Mar 29, 2010
Silent Hill 2 scared the living daylights out of me the first time.

We had mice in our attic at the time and I only play horror games in the dark. It made for an interesting experience.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
shwnbob said:
Condemned, the first one not the second one. Being chased around a normal house by a serial killer... I kept having to look behind my own back when I was playing that part.
Most traumatising from Condemed:
1: School for general atmosphere and that god damn locker
2: The Mall for "How'd that get he-HOLY SHIT THEY'RE CHASING ME!"
3: Farm house for serial killer hide and seek.
4: Final fight with serial killer and chase afterwards.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Resident Evil 1
Silent Hill 1/2
Realms of the Haunting
Dead Space (at least a bit)
Nosferatu (EXTREMELY hard and little known fps)

Edit: Cant believe I forgot System Shock 2. WAAAAAAAAAH

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
Condemned (especially the end)
System Shock 2 (pretty much the entire game)
FEAR (Alma near the beginning, need I say more)
Some parts of STALKER (those involving Bloodsuckers)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Silent Hill 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

SH2: Thirty seconds after I stepped into the hospital (I'd been playing in total darkness deep into the night) I quit the game, turned off my PC and didn't touch the game again for two weeks. Goddamn, talk about intense atmosphere.

Vampire: That mission near the start of the game where you have to retrieve something from a haunted old seaside hotel.

Thief: You all know the one... Shalebridge Cradle (at least I think that's what it was called).

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
FEAR pretty much made sure I never want to go to a waste water treatment plant ever again.

And both Condemned games have their moments. 1 had the school and the house at the end, while 2 had the damned bear chase. It's a fucking rabies infested giant black bear chasing you through an abandoned house in a snowed out forest, I don't know many people who wouldn't piss in their pants.

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Timesplitters: Future Perfect. Shut up, you know that the Mansion of Madness was creepy.

Oh, and Mirror's Edge. I was on the verge of tears, screaming "People enjoyed this?!"
Heh, I played that level for the first time today. The shapeshifters frightened me a bit. Looking at them in the arcade character selection though, they look ridiculous. :p Also, the bit where you listen to the voice message on the computer, and the person mentioned that talking about a secret code on a voice message was a bit stupid cracked me up (reminded me of Doom 3, I wonder if they were talking about that).

Also, I liked Mirror's Edge. D: In fact, I played through it like 5 times, and beat it on hard...although I've never bought it. Just borrowed it from a friend.

Raven-Loveless

Mar 4, 2010
Rule of Rose

I borrowed it from a friend not knowing what it was really. I popped it and started playing and as I played the game only got creepier. Sadistic children and a forgotten past that needs to be reveled kept me on the edge of my seat.

lizzielizzie

Dec 24, 2008
Bioshock. The original. Had a lot of good twitch points for me: things that skitter across ceilings, fantastic sound design (and good speakers on my machine), various plot bits, Fort Fucking Frolic and the Statues of OMFGWTF... god, that little twist almost made me soil myself. Add to it I was playing it late at night after my husband had gone to bed, by myself, in a house with a cat with ninja bad timing as to when to yowl or hop up on me... wow.

Gauntes

Jun 22, 2009
Ravenholm was pretty intense and scary at some parts (screamy zombies...)
but my true fear will always be Shodan

*shudder*

NEVRINx54

Nov 12, 2009
http://whatisthepyramid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/area51_game.jpg
^ this game scared the crap out of me

X L e G i T X

Apr 1, 2010
I remember playing Resident Evil 4 and not being the least bit of afraid. But one time when i sliced open a jar and a snake came flying at my character, I freaked, fell back in my chair, and realized how stupid i was. Needless to say my friend was laughing at me.

Grant George

Mar 22, 2010
The first time I played the library level on Halo 1 where you are introduced to the flood...I think I had to change underwear after that experience....and yeah Dead Space as well as Oblivion.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
urgh76 said:
OoT the Shadow Temple, the only part of a game that has scared the shit out of me while playing at 11:00

*sniff* that game raped me.....
Those moaning humpy things scared the crap out of me as a kid