Games that were so good they made you despise the whole genre they belong to.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
AuronFtw said:
Getting your ammo rack or engine damaged and playing out the entire rest of the match forces you to change playstyle on the fly. That *rarely* happened in WT; if I was in a situation where I was losing major components, I was pretty much dead already. And it was fast, so you also didn't have many situations where it was like "oh fuck, lemme back my ass up outta this firefight." Just blam blam, dead.
You... you DO realize that in actual tank combat, even getting hit was usually grounds enough for a crew to abandon their tank. If a critical component gets damaged, guess what? You ain't fixing that in battle. It's one of the things I dislike about WT. In the middle of a firefight, no tank crew is going to have the tools or time to remove the entire turret of the tank, pop out, and replace a shot-out turret drive, then re-attach the turret, and they certainly aren't doing that in fourteen seconds even if they had the parts to do so.

And you made a point about damaged ammo racks as well. If your ammunition stores have been damaged or sparked at all, there IS no backing out of that firefight, because the huge-ass shell that just went right through your ammunition stores has most likely detonated them as well, killing everyone inside the tank and likely severely damaging the superstructure as well. And all of this is irrelevant anyway because the tanks in WoT have FUCKING HP BARS.

WoT and WT are not even in the same league. One is a shitty 3rd person CoD clone with tanks instead of infantry, and a development company whose politics and policies go right up with EA as textbook examples of "how not to run a successful PR and development operation". The game barely works, the company behind it is somehow worse at their jobs than Gaijin is, and any claims of historical accuracy the devs ever could have made went out the window the minute the decided to give tanks HP bars.

Whether or not you personally enjoy a game is irrelevant to the quality of said game. Many people enjoy Big Macs and Whoppers. Many of those people also won't argue when you say that Big Macs and Whoppers taste like shit compared to a nice Beef Wellington.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Yeah put me down for Dark Souls. Whenever I see a fantasy action game I just sort of sigh and know that it likely won't be able to match Dark Souls.

FEAR, that game ruined FPS games for me, for me the only other FPS that is at all close to it is Wolfenstein The New Order.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
War Thunder's flying. War Thunder hit the nail on the head when it came to dogfighting, and I have yet to play another game that felt that good. Going from War Thunder to something like Battlefield 4 is like night and day. In BF the planes handle like ass and feel like you are never going to get a kill, but in WT they handle like a dream and are actually feel nice to fly.

C'mon, DICE. Overhaul the jets or drop them completely. As they stand, they are a waste of space.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
The second I saw the thread, I said to myself "Someone made this thread to talk about Dark Souls".
I giggled at this because I thought the same thing.

I mean seriously, not only is it one of the most stimulating action RPGs, it's also the sheer embodiment of RPGs. I mean, where is there another game where you can actually wield several different types of weapons and actually FEEL the weight behind them? When I equip an ultra greatsword or large hammer in any Souls game, I actually feel like an intimidating badass wielding a ridiculously sized weapon. Better yet, no other game, especially Oblivion or Skyrim, made me feel like a proper spellsword, while in Dark Souls my favorite combat approach is always any Straight Sword or Greatsword + Great Magic Weapon. Throw in the ability to heal with spells, and you got yourself a proper ROLE-PLAYING game.

Also every other game bores me as far as combat, even God of War's combat bored me in 5 minutes. Devil May Cry's combat was too fast, floaty, and uncoordianted, and Oblivion/Skyrim is so goddamn robotic and asinine when it comes to hits connecting with you from more than one foot away.

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
SantoUno said:
BloatedGuppy said:
The second I saw the thread, I said to myself "Someone made this thread to talk about Dark Souls".
Also every other game bores me as far as combat, even God of War's combat bored me in 5 minutes. Devil May Cry's combat was too fast, floaty, and uncoordianted, and Oblivion/Skyrim is so goddamn robotic and asinine when it comes to hits connecting with you from more than one foot away.
Oh, God of War and DMC don't have good combat so it's unsurprising you didn't care for them.

However, Ninja Gaiden Black's combat is on a whole other level, and is much better than Dark Souls.

I won't argue that the realistic weight and physics that Dark Souls' combat has is kinda cool, but where it falls apart imo is the enemy AI... the enemy AI barely exists. 90% of Dark Souls is circle strafing to get a backstab or exploiting the environment in some way to kill enemies cheaply. Once you understand this it's easy. Also bosses come down to circle strafing and hitting them at the end of the combo, or in cases of a big enemy, running in and out or just outright leg humping.

as far as action games go, Ninja Gaiden beats Dark Souls. And if your main complaint about it would be it's "too fast", all I can say is you are a slowpoke :p

As far as RPGs go, I feel the genre is best when it's story focused with tactical combat so Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Shadowrun are all better than Dark Souls.

tl'dr you overrate Dark Souls :p