Games that you couldn't wait to quit

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
DementedSheep said:
I had demo for Castlevania: lord of shadows because I had been considering buying it. I never even finished that and was wanting to drop it before finishing the first tutorial fight sequence. I not actually sure what turned me off this game so completely and so quickly.
you might want to give it another chance.
I done the same thing and played the tutorial and up to the first boss which was just one huge quick time event with a few 1 minuet waits for the boss to attack thrown in and then quit. recently went back to it and if you are a fan of hack and slash it's honestly one of the best in the genre.
I would probably play the first five hours before giving it up if you can.

UmberHulk

Jun 4, 2014
Runaway: A Road Adventure- It started as so bad its good type of game, but ended as a so bad its bad game.

The first two Witcher games- I've heard good things about the story, but having to slog through the awful combat system cannot be worth it. In my opinion those games would be much more fun if you could skip the game play entirely and just get to the story bits.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
lechat said:
DementedSheep said:
I had demo for Castlevania: lord of shadows because I had been considering buying it. I never even finished that and was wanting to drop it before finishing the first tutorial fight sequence. I not actually sure what turned me off this game so completely and so quickly.
you might want to give it another chance.
I done the same thing and played the tutorial and up to the first boss which was just one huge quick time event with a few 1 minuet waits for the boss to attack thrown in and then quit. recently went back to it and if you are a fan of hack and slash it's honestly one of the best in the genre.
I would probably play the first five hours before giving it up if you can.
Maybe when it's cheap. I'm losing patience for the it will be good in a few hours games. I already don't have to time to play all the games I want without investing time into one I'm not sure is going to be worth it.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
I got the Witcher 2 free on Xbox Games with Gold promotion, and had never played the first game. Don't know if that gives it enough context to give a shit about what you're doing in the beginning of W2, but I really couldn't be bothered to give a shit.

Borderlands, the original, I found dull and repetitive. The "NPCs" were stock stereotypes with nothing interesting about them to me, though I was assured by the friend who suggested I get it that some get more interesting with DLC. It's not my humor style, or interesting gameplay for me. The only thing I liked was the overall art style, and that was made mediocre and mundane by the lack of anything interesting to look at during play.

I think I've got 3 hours logged, and 2.5 of that were playing with the friend who absolute KNEW I'd love it.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Playing Witcher 3 calcified my Inquisition hate, but didn't ignite it. It's a pretty bad sign when I finish a game and the first post-ending impressions I have to share with the GF is a torrent of scorn.
Heh, you've reminded me of FF XIII. I was at the in-laws when that game came out, and I was a huge fan of the SNES/PS1 FF games so I figured I might as well check another one off the "finished" list. My wife got sick to death of hearing me complain during the entire duration of the playtime: "Is this really a series of long and narrow hallways"? "Is there ever going to be an actual town to visit"? "Is the combat going to ask more of me than 'mash X, switch to different paradigm when staggered"? "What the actual fuck is even happening? Half the vocabulary isn't even words, and I'm apparently supposed to read through walls of text that actually explain what the cutscenes were supposed to".

I finished it, but I still find it amusing that it might be my only 60-hour largely negative gaming experience. My wife didn't after awhile.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Metro Redux. Egh. Fine I'll just plug in the 360 and pretend that Redux never happened.
I was hoping you could enlighten me about this. Metro 2033 is literally the only game in my Steam library with terrible framerates, no matter what I do. It's my understanding that the Redux version is better optimized, but you aren't the first person to lament some changes it made. When I look through the Steam forums, there's a lot of people complaining that they've been asked to buy the game twice, and some people didn't like that 2033 had been "Last Light-ified".

I guess what I'm asking is: What is it about the Redux versions that make them inferior to the original releases, so much so that you would play it on a 360 instead?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dragon Age origins. Hated the story. Hated the characters. Hated the gameplay. I can't figure out why I stuck with it so long. It's not even that it was awful. It was just the most painfully average thing I'd ever played in my life. Which is worse.

As I've said before, half life 2. It hasn't aged well at all, and it's not really that old. I can't for the life of me see the excitement for HL3. I don't even consider it a good shooter for its time. I'd rather deal with Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or Halo.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Splatterhouse, RAGE, and currently Metro: Last Light. I have no idea why Metro 2033 had so much popularity. It's about on-par with Singularity. Alice: Madness Returns is a great game overall, but the last level dragged the motherfuck on.

Dead Space 3 keeps pushing me, but then some of Dead Space 2 comes back and pulls me in again.

Oh yeah, and Anarchy Reigns. I don't know why I pushed myself to finish that.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Borderlands 2...

Everyone kept going on about how great this game was. How funny the world is, how deep the classes are, and how many ridiculous guns you can get. Holy hell this game is boring. Sure there are some funny characters, but the combat is INCREDIBLY repetitive, the guns feel like peashooters, they're not fun to use, they have no impact, the loots crap, the environments are INCREDIBLY generic, bosses are all bullet spongey with monotonous movesets and attack patterns, the game has no flow since you have to stop every 5 seconds to loot enemies and chests, and manage your incredibly limited inventory, and leveling up is BORING. All of the upgrades are flat stat bonuses and passes that have fuck all impact and all of the classes feel exactly the same outside of their special abilities that you can use maybe once per battle, while they last long enough for maybe 2 enemies to go down, and then disappear and go on cooldown for the next five minutes.

I was told its better with friends, so I played with some friends and if anything the game got WORSE. The combat was just as boring and repetitive, but now the monsters and enemies became even MORE bullet spongey and the guns felt even shittier because of this, and we had to juggle loot between all of us making the inventory management even MORE of a hassle.

The combat and inventory management in the original Mass Effect was better than this.

Thank god I got this on a sale or I would be VERY angry at being annoyed into getting this game by my friends.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Saints Row 3. I found everything about it just obnoxious. After the opening sequence (after the airplane) I gave it up.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I gotta say that's almost never happened to me.

The son of a family friend forcibly dragged me into Sacred 2, acting as though having an intro and a joke level starring Blind Guardian (and their actual band members) would suffice. The critics varied between being lukewarm and praising the game as being the oft-promised Diablo III, seeing as the real thing hadn't come out yet.

Nothing in Sacred 2 did it for me. Nothing at all. The lore and level design felt derivative, the adaptation was godawful, the UI was probably the busiest and most insultingly, well, European design ever committed to digital download - it was awful. End of.

As to why I'm bashing a game for having a "European" UI design, I've noticed that a lot of studios from across the pond enjoy creating nauseatingly busy interfaces. You'd figure an ARPG would shoot for some sort of design clarity, but in Sacred 2's case, you had to dig through menu after menu to get a sense of how the game worked. Everything essential was buried under layer after layer of cruft. Pair a static font size that got teeny-tiny in big resolutions on top of that, and you get something that's begging to be liked, but that's ticking all the wrong boxes.

Otherwise? I quit Global Agenda not because of the game proper, but because my only semi-regular Real Life fellow MMO player ended up being a massive git whenever we ended up paired with unknowns. I'm there trying to be approachable, and he goes and insults the other guy. Newbie obviously leaves the party, I ask Real Life Buddy what the flying fuck that was about, and he tells me the dude deserved it...

That only reaffirmed my preference for Single Player stuff. Toxic gits need not apply.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
0takuMetalhead said:
Blame Burch for the writing. Anthony that is. As for Tina, have to agree on that part, but only if we talk about the base game. Ine the DLC's she appeared in she had her character toned down to bearable standards. But I can't blame you for giving up on the game. The writing is just wack. Handsome Jack killed any reason to make new characters for me (quite an achievement that I have 4).
It's not even that Tiny Tina is written that badly. It's just that she's essentially an underage Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She's a walking, small-sized embodiment of the trope, and just as predictable.

Which truly fascinates me considering I've seen people talk very negatively about that trope, yet they go on and on about how much they love Tiny Tina.

OT:
That honour goes to Bioshock actually.
Combat is bland, story didn't grab me (if it had any) and as a spiritual sequel to System Shock it misses everything that made both SS games so fun.

Only game that I had in my collection that ended in the garbage bin.
The original Bioshock never 'grabbed' me either, but I still feel like it was a finely crafted gaming experience.

Though, the gunplay was pretty clunky (and a bit dull), even with the plasmids.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Zen Bard said:
Brutal Legend

I barely made it to the second chapter. The game was basically a long series of cut scenes with some basic button mashing wedged between.

Shame really, because it was such a great concept. Especially to a metal head/RPG fan like me.

Sadly, it went back to the bargain bin from whence it came.
I've finished Brutal Legend. I liked it and it to this day has a special day in my heart because it introduced me to, well, rock.
However, I cannot disagree with you. I mean, you are a tad bit wrong, it wasn't just a button masher, it was mostly a, um, tower-capture RTS, but you are still mostly right. The RTS battles were really uncomfortable to play and it was also not what I wanted from the game. I would've preffered if it was actual hack'n'slash and all those units you acquired you could summon to aid you during certain moments.
But hey, the characters, story and most importantly atmosphere were great.

DementedSheep said:
Overlord. Don't like the controls, was occasionally funny but mostly not to my taste. I gave it 10 hours before dropping it. It's a shame because playing an evil overlord with army of minions in game taking the piss sounds like something I would like, I just don't really like this one.
Overlord for me too. I was also looking forward to playing a big bad guy that was aiming for world conquest, but controls were TERRIBLE. I had this game for both PS3 and PC and both Gamepad and M+KB didn't allow me to properly control my minions.

May 28, 2009
Dead Island

I got it a little bit after launch because I had 3 friends who played it and highly recommended it. My first half hour-ish of the game was great, very atmospheric. But the more I played the worse the game got. It became increasingly bland and generic, imbalances in the games mechanics became increasingly glaring. Oh and the bugs, so many bugs, and not little ones either ones that made the game basically unplayable.

I finished the game out of a strange sense of pride and a hope that this game could not be that bad. Long story short I finished it and was never happier.... because it was over.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a rant, but this game was just plain awful. If I went into detail about how bad my experience with this game was I would need to start a whole new thread.

The moral of the story don't pay full price for games and don't trust your friends stupid opinions.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
Dynasty Warriors 7.

As soon as I got the platinum I took the disc out and never played it again. The grinding required for it is obscene.

Another big flaw with the game is that your characters can get really buffed up in the story missions, with no way of transferring those stats over to Conquest Mode.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Agree on Dark Souls, I hated the almost instadeath about every 10 feet. I know hardcore gamers love that shit but even set on the lowest setting I couldn't do it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dragon Age Inquisition.

I couldn't wait to just grind through the game and finish it. Oh, I searched for fun stuff. I did all the side activities I could, I got all the best endings and still I was left bored and unsatisfied.

The best part of the game were the three Dragons in Emprise du Lion. That was a pretty cool boss rush and actually required strategic thinking. They also made Vivian extremely useful and were just generally fun. They felt like mini-bosses from Dark Souls, which was a refreshing change to all the other enemies just being giant sponges.

But everything else was disappointing. The story was underwhelming, the Mage/Templar war was put aside in favour of a generic villain, who despite being somewhat interesting due to Hawke having met him in the Legacy DLC of DA:II and due to the Architect being an interesting character as well in Dragon Age Awakening, was left to the sidelines until the final boss battle.

Then there were the characters, the writing, the set pieces...just ugh.

Can't believe I spent £40 on that. I vowed to never buy into week-1 hype ever again and to never trust Bioware's marketing again either. Those halcion days of KoTOR I and Jade Empire are long gone.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Buckets said:
Agree on Dark Souls, I hated the almost instadeath about every 10 feet. I know hardcore gamers love that shit but even set on the lowest setting I couldn't do it.
Yeah, especially considering there are no difficulty settings in DS.

Is hating on Dark Souls difficulty so popular novadays that even people who didn't play it jump on a bandwagon?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
The Evil Within

I don't know what the hell went on behind the scenes of that production, but Shinji Mikami making a game this shit still boggles my mind. Literally every aspect of this game is garbage. The shooting mechanics, the running animation, the visual design, the rendering, the framerate, the fucking letterboxing, the enemy placements...

Thankfully I quickly decided to spare myself the agony of seeing whether anything good might actually emerge from this pile of vomit and I simply stopped playing it after two hours and returned it to the store. No more Max Payne 3-levels of anguish for me.
You are lucky. I played it almost to the end, it never got any better but I decided that I had got so far I might as well finish it. And I would of done too if it wasn't for the bit just before the end. Basically, there is a ammo sapping arena bit where you have to kill a load of enemies for some reason and this in a game which is really stingy with its ammo drops. Then shortly after that you go into a room with two 'Safehead' enemies, but unlike previous areas with these enemies, they were very very hard to kill.

Seriously, there was nothing, no combination of ammo, no bolts, nothing I could do or use to kill these fucking enemies. Occasionally I could kill one of them by using up all my ammo, but that just made the second one harder to kill. It soon dawned on me that I had not saved enough ammo to kill these enemies. To beat them, I would have to restart the game and I just could not be arsed to do that after I had slogged through it once. So I quit, if you are going to throw that bullshit at me game, then don't expect me to finish you after the rest of the game had been mediocre at best.