Games that you hate but everyone else seems to ape-shit about it?

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Eddie the head said:
joest01 said:
To those of you citing Borderlands I realize it's an acquired taste. I would be interested if you guys have played any of the DLC and specifically the Tiny Tina DLC. I thought it was the best riff on the *.souls theme since Demon's :)
Dose it significantly change the game play? Like not everything is a bullet sponge? And the guns don't feel like they're made by NERF? A better art style? If it did that maybe I could enjoy it.

But based on that last sentence, witch is a little confusing, I'm guessing you mean the writing or something will sustain it? If that's the case I'm going to go with an emphatic no. That's not going to help me like it any more. The few hours I did play I turned off the dialogue sound. The jokes don't land and the voices are annoying. Unless it somehow turns into Farscape I'm not interested.
There are some changes to the loot mechanic. THey introduce a lottery of sorts. Trying to think if there is other changes to the gameplay...

But honestly, besides the obvious emphasis on style and loot, the gameplay in Borderlands is actually pretty darn deep. Almost in a Disgaea kind of way. The weapons power and accuracy combined with your shield and your specific build makes all the difference. Check out some of Bahroo's vids where he solos entire raids. But I will admit it takes a good many hours to get to a point where you can take full advantage of the various stats. At that point bullet sponges suddenly lose their terror.

The last sentence is in reference to the setting, tone, and actually level of challenge (at least on UVHM) of the DLC. They have Tina moderate the game like a D&D Dungeon Master. With Dragons, giant skeletons, and all kinds of other fantasy creatures. Plus an actual little Dark Souls easter egg.

All that said, I fully accept if somebody isn't into the series. The entire Giantbomb crew for example have decided that Borderlands is the devil. It's divisive. The humor isn't for everyone. And the grinding, oh the grinding.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Lightspeaker said:
Joccaren said:
I can understand not enjoying the much slower pacing of DA:O, and the greater focus on slower tactics than faster player-skill gameplay... But I cannot understand making these complaints, and then saying DA2 did it better.

Etc etc
In your opinion.

In my experience through both games frankly I had zero problems with the difficulty curve in DA2. DAO forced most fights to be fundamentally unfair and over in seconds before you could react, one way or another. Either my mage main character (because pretty much all the other characters in the party were useless for anything other than being a distraction and soaking up damage) blew every enemy up instantly and near-simultaneously with huge AoE attacks or my entire party was downed in three and a half seconds tops. DA2 was massively better paced and much fairer, with my rogue being able to systematically work through a battle and fights actually taking time to play out.

It had its downsides. The "wave" based system was very silly for one. But compared to the dull, poorly balanced mess that was DAO I'm absolutely mindblown that you don't think its an improvement. The fact that you say its a "slower style of combat" is outright laughable to me, because in DAO for me fights ended quicker than most Counter Strike pistol rounds one way or the other. Either I'd be dead or the enemy would. I've always been a huge fan of slow-paced games, especially down to the turn based level and DAO is NOT a slow game by any stretch of the imagination, it just pretends to be because you can pause. If anything its all about "setting up a trap" before the fight, which then gets finished in three or four seconds. But doesn't have anything like the fun of something like Deception IV which is the same idea of preparing a trap and executing it, because it lacks THAT game's intricacy and humour.

Frankly I don't know what game you're describing in your post because that was NOT how DAO played out to me.
Honestly, I had the exact opposite experience. In DA:O I could drag fights on if I was losing and utilise revives and heals to stand a chance. Few fights were over instantly, except right at the end where you were facing hundreds of lvl 1 mooks and you were end-game level. The toughest fights, I found, were the first few Revanents that you had to fight before you were a high enough level to really be able to deal with them, but even then it wasn't an instant death roulette.
In DA2, either it'd be a case of a lot of 'non-lieutenant' rank mooks, that got mowed down in seconds, or a large number of lieutenant+ ranks that were the equivalent of Final Fantasy health sponges, and had ministuns such that you wouldn't dent their health, but your whole party would be disabled within seconds. Boss fights were also over very quickly when I ran through. Rock Golem thing, Arishok, and the Abomination all went down in seconds. Meredith just dragged on from summoning statues, but even then wasn't actually a challenge.

Makes me kind of interested in what builds you were running for each, as if there's one thing that's very true about the entire Dragon Age series, is that the balance and pacing is ridiculously dependent on your party and main character. None of them have been remotely well balanced in those regards.

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
I'm surprised Dark Souls isn't getting a lot more hate (I love Dark Souls).

- MOBA's, LOL, DOTA II whatever.

Why play these things? Where is the fun? In fact, any games that seem tailored to be eSports look boring as sin.

- Brown military shooters. I enjoyed them a bit at first but that was around 2008-2009. It's been a long time. Industry, please move on already.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
For the record: I don't 'hate' the following stuff, it just leaves me with a giant *meh*.

The Last of Us
I don't get why this game is regarded as highly as it is. And as i write this, I think I finally get why: I don't like children. The game's plot depends on feeling protective of Ellie and identifying with Joel's loss at the beginning. Which in both cases is something I am completely uninterested in, just because it's about children/young teenagers.

Fallout 3
While I put about 80 hours in the campaign and addons, I never 'got' it. For me, the wasteland looked incredibly boring with nothing really happening. Even when there was some action going on it never sucked me in as the first and second did. Wonder if I should

There are also three genres that I typically stay away from: Sandbox/Open World Games (though I own quite a few), sport/racing and MOBAs.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Final Fantasy 7
I think this was just a case of me playing it well after its "best before" date.

The last of us
To me, mechanics trump story. Naughty Dog has always had awful feeling shooting mechanics, even in the Uncharted series. It's such a rub for me I just don't enjoy their games.

Any of them "survive on a server where other players are assholes" games.
I just don't have the patience. Everyone has all these awesome stories, but when I play it it's just me wandering around in a world of nothing for 3 hours then when I meet someone they kill me. That's not fun.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Any MMO - just don't like games which revolve around making the player play for all eternity with no actual goal.

Skyrim - I found the art design to be ugly and off putting, which is something I can sometimes stand but the gameplay wasn't anything special either

Mass Effect (1 & 2, haven't played the 3rd one) - the characters are what makes this game bearable, other than that it's a below average cover based shooter with some of the most boring minigames ever (scanning the planets in 2 is the most tedious and repetitive thing I've ever done in a game)

GTA San Andreas - maybe for it's time it was amazing but it didn't age well at all, it's ugly, the controls are awful (especially the gunplay) and I couldn't stand the walking cliches that were the characters

Sonic games - you're technically supposed to go very fast but the enemy/obstacle placement makes that close to impossible

Final Fantasy 8 - I actually don't mind the story or the characters and the game still looks good but the gameplay is what kills it - drawing magic, unskippable GF animations that go on forever, powerful spells you will never use because it's better to stockpile them and link them to your attributes (why even have them?)

God of War - QTE: the game

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
I found Half-life 2 to be a somewhat bad game. I think not having played the first one and playing it years after the release severely diminished the enjoyment I could get out of that game.

Oh and fuck the bullet sponges in Borderlands. That shit gets boring really fast and it just gets worse with friends since the all the enemies get more HP turning all the mooks into semi bulletssponges as well and amplify the already existing bulletsponges.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Finally there's classic first person shooters like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Not because they're bad games per se, but because they give me motion sickness.
Have you tried Doom with a source port? Doom has many visual problems, specifically the extremely low resolution, framerate capped at 35fps, inability to look up and down, and the use of sprites rather than true 3D models. All of these might cause motion sickness, and are corrected in source ports. If you can play Quake, your problem can probably be fixed with the right source port.

Try Risen3D
http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

Risen 3D supports 3D models which you can also download, in case the 2D sprites are giving you motion sickness. Unfortunately, they do look rather bad. If you can play without the 3D models, you might want to try PrBoom+, which is a lot more accurate to vanilla Doom, but offers high resolutions, uncapped framerate and if you run the GLBoom+ executable that is in the archive you can look up and down.

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
HardkorSB said:
joest01 said:
HardkorSB said:
God of War - QTE: the game
Do yourself a favor and never ever play the first Bayonetta!
Already finished it a few years ago :D
It was decent, I won't replay it but kept me entertained enough.
the qte's in that game are way worse than in gow, and missing them throws you back a bunch too. just one of the reasons 2 is such a step up :)

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I will never understand how people can find the Uncharted series entertaining. Completely average gameplay with one of the least likeable casts I've seen in a long time. Plot is a mess. etc.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Hmmm. Let's see.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Worst Call of Duty to date. PC port - largely nonfunctional. To put things in perspective; MW2 has a better steam review score.

Portal 2
A decent sequel but instantly forgettable compared to the original.

Bioshock
Just endless grinding. Loved Infinite though.

Payday
Just don't get what people love about this franchise. Shooting feels odd; gameplay is repetitive.

Sleeping Dogs
Driving feels odd. The story is mostly uninteresting. The world, although beautiful, offers little to nothing to do (aside from fighting). Just don't see why this game is so great.

Team Fortress
Even in the free-to-play scene, there are better shooters.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Mario, in pretty much all its iterations. When it went 3D it improved a little but then back to the 2D boring bullshit. Never liked Mario Kart either.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Lufia Erim said:
Deus Ex Human revolution. I think Alpha protocol did a better job at being a deus ex game. I didn't hate it, but i had a lot more fun with AP.
i love them both but can easiely understand why you prefer Ap. its a buggy mess but ive never played a rpg with as much choice that actually matters

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
anything made by nintendo. ive been gaming for 35 years and ive never touched a single nintendo game. i hate platformers and cutsey games

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
pookie101 said:
anything made by nintendo. ive been gaming for 35 years and ive never touched a single nintendo game. i hate platformers and cutsey games
F Zero GX, Metroid Prime, and Sin and Punishment are cutsey?

Boy has my decade of gaming been such a lie.

OT:
Shadow of Mordor: Can the nemesis system be in a different game because good lord, THIS? is considered a better action game than Bayonetta 2? A game set in Tolkeins canon that barely uses it, while having the same combat that every game seems to be ripping from Arkham games? Well god damn to each their own because I have never been so turned off by a rental.

Bioshock Infinite: Just read back this thread. The second game certainly deserves more love. Why? Weapon wheel.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
AAA ARGPs like DA: I or the like just stick in my craw, I much prefer older CRPGs or games made in that style like Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall / Hong Kong. The AAA nonsense tends to make the game shallow and Bioware have shown they no longer know how to write characters more complex or well developed than cardboard cutouts.

Skyrim, too trimmed down. Give me Morrowind any day even with the slightly jankey combat and dated graphics.

Fez, It's a boring, generic platformer. Nuff Said.

Burgers2013

Nov 3, 2013
Barda236 said:
Final Fantasy 8, and 10. I hate the stories and protagonists of both games. 10 is definitely the worse of the two though. Frickin Tidus....
Seriously. Frickin' Tidus and his stupid pants of differing leg lengths. I had a real serious problem with that. I also didn't like his annoying character, the romance with Yuna, and I found that the pacing ground to a halt at some point (never beat it), but Tidus' horrifyingly uneven shorts is what stands out in my mind about this game to this day.

OT: I couldn't get into Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins. I thought the premises for both sounded interesting, but from the get-go I was not a fan of the combat mechanics for either. I didn't make it more than a few hours in for either game. I have not touched them since. I guess I wouldn't say I "hate" them. I don't think I played them enough to have that negative of an opinion.

Halo: The first one had some really cool, tense moments, especially toward the beginning of the game. The combat was fun and functional. None of the other ones seemed to add anything interesting to the series except for...dual wielding I guess? I played some of 2 and 3. Then again, I'm not a huge shooter fan, so maybe I just can't appreciate subtle mechanic improvements.

The only widely popular games I can think of that I really "hate" are sports games, which I hate on principle rather than any individual game. They invented that "yearly release with little-to-no changes to the game" bullshit that has seeped into other franchises. That and it was a pain in the ass to find places to shove the 8 million traded in copies of Madden 2006 that no one wanted, just as we were selling brand new copies Madden 20## for $60 a pop to the same people who traded in their 2006 copies for like $0.95 store credit. Why do they buy so many copies every single year?? They're making it worse! Ugh...Super frustrating.