Games that you hate but everyone else seems to ape-shit about it?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There are loads of games out there where majority of players seems to love. Bur sometimes, you are the only one that seems to hate the game. What are some of these games?

For me;
Any MOBA games
Hearthstone
Terraria
Sonic Adventures 2
Luigi's Mansion 2
Any Racing Game
Any Sports Game

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile: I don't like these games. They're boring to play and way to dull/depressing in their artstyle (well, except Torchlight). I enjoyed Borderlands, so it's not like I dislike the hunt for items in games. It's rather everything else in those games.

MOBA: I'd love these games if it wouldn't be for the bad community. Seriously: how can you play a game with people that insult you without a break? I want to play games because I want to escape from every day life where I have to deal with jerks - why should I willingly deal with those people in my freetime? (admittingly, I had some fun with HotS when playing solely with friends)

Every survival game ever: I played the original Day Z-Arma 2 mod for a while. It was fun, but didn't last long. Now, years later, people still play those games and I don't get it.

The Witcher 3: I don't get it, this game is just boring and... nah, just kidding, this game is great. But too long. God, that game is way too huge. I just can't finish it!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
MOBAs remain the only games I just do not understand the appeal of at all. That's basically it. The Last of Us is a bit dull, but that's not hate, more indifference.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
GTA 4 - At it's release was not a good game IMO. Over the years people have started to view it as a slightly weaker entry but at the time it was given Game of the Year title with so many 10/10's.

World of Warcraft - I don't know if I could truly say I hate the game but I found the trial version of it tedious and absolutely nothing hooked me. Never opted to get a subscription or buy the game. I've enjoyed other MMO's but not many...the two standouts being Guild Wars 1 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Skyrim - Another game that I don't truly HATE but I really didn't care for. As a HUGE fan of Oblivion I was ready for something that pushed the forumala. What we got was the same game with a better coat of paint with many elements that felt truly dated to me (combat, having little to no lasting impact by your actions). I put way more time into Skyrim than it deserved from me (60 hours) in hopes that there was lasting fun to be had but it never came. The game is objectively speaking quite good but I never got hooked.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
'Realistic' shooters - AKA Spunk Gargle Wee-wee. For reasons described by a far greater man than I.

Also getting hard for me to be a fan of RPGs these days. For every Dragon Age, there are around twenty Diablo/Torchlight dungeon crawls. And as much as I love Skyrim, I have to admit it is no longer as fresh as Morrowind or Morrowind 2... Er... Oblivion.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
LeathermanKick25 said:
Anyone who thinks Bioshock or Infinite is genuinely a good game I refuse to take seriously.
I get why a lot of people dislike Infinite (it's my least favourite Bioshock game) but what did you dislike about the original? (Not trying to start an argument, just want to hear another's opinions.)

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Anything David Cage makes. I seriously do not get why people have anything but scorn and derision for his schlock.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Rave reviews, but the general mechanics of movement and combat bored me to tears about two hours in. I'm glad I got it on sale.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Mass Effect 2.

Loved the first game, went on to the second, and couldn't stand it. I tried replaying it yesterday, and had to turn it off in the first cutscene because it was pissing me off so much.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Maphysto said:
Anything David Cage makes. I seriously do not get why people have anything but scorn and derision for his schlock.
At least it's fun to laugh at them and play "spot the plot hole" :p

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
LeathermanKick25 said:
step1999 said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
Anyone who thinks Bioshock or Infinite is genuinely a good game I refuse to take seriously.
I get why a lot of people dislike Infinite (it's my least favourite Bioshock game) but what did you dislike about the original? (Not trying to start an argument, just want to hear another's opinions.)
It's one of the most painfully average games I've ever played. The gameplay itself is pretty piss poor for a shooter, either the firearms are too underpowered or the gunplay for the useful weapons is pretty awful. Not to mention the small amount of ammo you can carry. Plasmids were a neat idea but I still feel weren't utilized as best they could, it was just a way to show off the engine they had "If you shock the water it electrocutes them! Guess what happens when there's oil around!". They weren't needed to complete the game and were more of a hassle to use than something of use.

The story is just downright shit. Everyone went bananas over the "twist". Gamers everywhere tried to give it so much more meaning than it was. "A man chooses, a slave obeys", like it was this big deconstruction of how players act whilst playing games. Which may of had some weight if there was literally anything else one could do to continue the game. Not to mention 80% of the story relied on listening to audio logs. The ending of finally escaping rapture boiled down to three 2 minute long cutscenes depending on how many sisters you did or didn't save.

There's only two good things I can say about that game. The world of Rapture itself is definitely interesting visually, and the upgraded guns did look pretty cool. Other than that the game was just utterly average rubbish. Bioshock 2 was a bit better in that you had more to go on story wise then "You take this weird submarine you found in a lighthouse down to this underwater city because reasons". Had somewhat functioning and not shit shooting mechanics and a decent twist on the player character being a big daddy and all.

Infinite had good gunplay, that was it. 2's the only one I can stomach and would actually consider replaying. Infinite I got for free through PS Plus and still feel like it was a waste.
First of all, the point of not letting you carry much ammo was to make you use the plasmids more. I'll admit that the plasmids were really unbalanced though (telekinesis + trash can = super OP one hit kills for very little EVE) and a lot of them were fairly useless. Bioshock 2 definitely had better gameplay.

IMO the story is a lot more meaningful as a criticism of objectivism than as a commentary on games. The devs were clearly trying to do both but were much better at the former. We'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to the audio logs, I find exploring for and listening to them a fairly engaging way of presenting narrative without dirupting the gameplay flow if you just want to get on with it. The endings were terrible though, and the last third of the game after the twist was pretty poor in general.

I presume you say "because reasons" because you don't want to spoil the twist, because the twist makes it pretty obvious what the reasons were. Having the PC be a prototype Big Daddy in 2 was an interesting concept that didn't quite work IMO, but that's another discussion.

Lastly, I have to disagree with you about Infinite's gunplay. The Skyrails were a good idea but for the most part you spent way too long in that game behind cover, and the 2 weapon limit was an idiotic idea. (speaking as someone who like classic shooters like Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem, so I'm a bit biased against cover and 2 weapon limits. Even ironsights annoy me depending on how innaccurate you are without them) 2's gunplay is much better IMO.

TL;DR We'll have to agree to disagree for the most part (also sorry for rambling a bit and double posting, I assumed someone else would have posted by the time I finished typing this)

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Sonic Adventure and 2 yeah definitely

The biggest one for me is Smash Bros., it's so shit I just can't even believe it.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Bioshock Infinite, I wouldn't say that I "hate" the game since "hate" is a rather strong word, but I was certainly disappointed with that game, I can see why reviewers loved it so much because it had an amazing storyline and was relatively short, but therein lies the problem, personally I don't like dropping 60$ on a story, no matter how good, because ultimately the game was far too short and wasn't worth a second playthrough...*sigh* Yeah that's a game I regret buying near launch for full price

and before you ask I enjoyed Bioshock 1 and 2 Immensely, probably because I bought them at a much cheaper price, and yes I'm one of those blasphemers that thinks Bioshock 2 is the best in the series

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Deus Ex Human revolution. I think Alpha protocol did a better job at being a deus ex game. I didn't hate it, but i had a lot more fun with AP.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dark Souls.
I've argued this a hundred and one times on this forum, so I won't be doing it again. But I hate this game and if you enjoy it, then you have my sympathies.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I've said it a million times and I've actually grown tired of saying it, but fine. I didn't find The Last of Us to be engaging in the slightest.