Games that you were hyped for in the past and the games you are hyped for today?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There were a lot of games that got hypes from many people in the past. Whether due to excellent marketing and ads, reveal game plays, or being part of beloved franchise, we all had a game we were excited about. Some of them was disappointing or bad, some of them met our expectations, and others went above and beyond.

What were the games that you hyped for turned out to be disappointing/bad, met your expectation, went above and beyond? And what games are you excited for in the future?

For me;
Disappointing: Destiny,
Met my expectation: Halo Reach
Above and beyond: Batman Arkham City
Hyped for: SW Battlefront, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Kingdom Hearts 3

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Well, I'll keep it recent. :p

Disappointing: The Order 1886. Been a long time in development and while I was never hyped for it I also didn't expect it to turn into a short, boring slog through QTE's and tedious cutscenes.
Met my expectation: Batman Arkham Knight.
Above and beyond: Bloodborne.
Hyped for: Dark Souls 3. Really the only game at the moment. I just love those games. Sorry! :p
Mildly hyped for: MGS5, Fallout 4.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Huh...Okay I'll give it a try.

Severely Disappointing: Alien Isolation
Sorta' Disappointing: Divinity: Original Sin
Mildly Disappointing: Outlast
Met My Expectations: Bioshock: Infinite, Rage, Dawn of War series, Shadows of Mordor, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Above and Beyond: South Park Stick of True, State of Decay, Space Marine

Hyped for: Star Wars Battlefront, South Park: The Fractured but Whole, Resident Evil 0
Mildly Hyped: Fallout 4, and maybe Left 4 Dead 3 if it exists

100% Indifferent to: Dark Souls 3, Half Life 3, Shenmue 3, FF7 Remake

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The first game that I remember being really hyped up for was Pokemon Gold/Silver and I remember it being a whole lot better than Red. After that I got hyped up for Halo 2 which was broken more than the original, I didn't enjoy the multiplayer as much (I miss Warthog jousting) and, it had a shitty ending. I was hyped up for Dragon Age 1 and 2; the first of which was satisfying if huge but the second one absolutely blew goats (opinion).

Right now I'm really hyped up for Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden. I may even pre-order that which will make it the first game I pre-order this fucking decade. I'm also hyped for Yokai Watch, Fallout 4, Final Fantasys XV & VII-R and, South Park the next game. Doom also looks great but I wouldn't say I'm hyped about it and I don't know enough about Zelda U to be too hyped. I'm too worried about Devil's Third to have hype for it and while I'm sure Nintendo is developing a Wii U Metroid, I can't be hyped for something I don't know exists. Then there's Genei Ibun Roku #FE which is a game I am interested in but hate the title of.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Above and Beyond: The Witcher 3. I literally don't have a SFW picture for how I feel about this game.

I wasn't expecting much and bought it as a donation to CDPR for fighting the good fight.

Above and Beyond: Tiberian Sun. I loved the original C&C and Red Alert when they released so I was hyped to fuck for Tiberian Sun. I couldn't afford it for a long time but read loads of reviews about how disappointing it was. I finally bought it plus Firestorm for a fiver and...yeah, I love it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Disappointing: Alone in the Dark
Met my expectation: Guild Wars 2 and Pokemon X
Above and beyond: Xenoblade Chronicle
Hyped for: Hyper Light Drifter and Fire Emblem: Fates

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
Disappointed: None, because the only game I've really felt hyped about in the past was...

Above and Beyond: Dishonored. First and only game I pre-ordered because the preview stuff seemed cool, the setting looked right up my alley, and the promise of a good stealth game (that I might not suck at) got me hyped.

Met my expectation: Dawn of War. I went in expecting colour scheme customization and a cool RTS set in a universe I love. Got exactly that.

Hyped for: Dishonored 2. YOU GET TO PLAY AS EMILY! AND CORVO! AND SEE SERKONNOS! WITH NEW POWERS! FUCK YES I AM SO READY FOR MORE DISHONORED! ALSO CORVO'S GONNA TALK! HINTS OF DAUD/BILLIE LURK RETURNING! SO HYPED MY MIND IS MELTING! I'M NOT EVEN USING CAPS-LOCK I'M HOLDING DOWN SHIFT!

I really like Dishonored is what I'm saying...

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Disappointing: Destiny, I know, I've mentioned it in almost every thread I post in, it's like a bad break up you just can't get over.

Met My Expectations: Bloodborne, playing in the Alpha gave me a good idea what to expect and it was a pretty solid experience.

Above and Beyond: Final Fantasy XIV (I've never liked sub based crap, this is the first game I've ever paid a sub fee for and it's almost worth every penny), The Witcher 3.

Hyped For: MGSV, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Slightly Hyped For: Mad Max, Deep Down (if it ever freaking comes out!)

I'm going to add a section for games I would be hyped for if they were announced just because.
Dragon's Dogma 2 (The Japanese only MMO obviously doesn't count), a new Berserk game...it just needs to happen already. At the very least the golden age arc would make for a great Dynasty Warriors style game like Dragon Quest Heroes and Hyrule Warriors did.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...I think the most recent game that I was hyped for and am now disappointed in would be Batman: Arkham Knight. I'm still having fun playing it, but City and Asylum did things so much better that this...this is just underwhelming by comparison. I just realized last night that I haven't had a single boss fight in this game, and I'm at the end.
No, fighting another tank in the Batmobile, or sneaking around dodging the Knight's sniper rifle is not a boss fight. I'm talking Poison Ivy, Solomon Grundy, Bane, and even/especially Deathstroke from Origins. Where are those battles?
Honorable mention to Colonial Marines as well.

Live up to: Hm...I guess if I still have the game, it lived up to what I expected. Which makes the list far, far, far too long to even touch here.

Above and beyond: Another hm...I guess The Last of Us comes to mind. That is the most recent game I can think of that just had me going, "Oh wow...I need more!"

Currently hyped for: Dark Souls 3, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Black Ops III. Lots of 3s in there. Yes, I am excited about a Call of Duty game. Treyarch seems to still remember how to make their campaigns fun, and full co op for the entire thing is amazing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I don't get hyped much but like... Love in Space have officially started working on the newest Sunrider game and it looks amazing. I knew Sunrider Academy was in part made to practise their art in a low pressure environment. A Waifu Simulator alternate universe game was kind of ballsy though since they had to have faith that their characters are decent waifu material for your average anime fan. I guess since the kickstarter got funded that answers that question. Icari Based Girl, why was she not included? Ava fills the tsundere role nicely enough so the proper tsundere Icari gets shouldered out you say? Nonsense, the more tsunderes the better. In fact there should be a VN where it's just 5 different variations of the tsundere archetype as characters, where the fuck is that game? Hold on let me write this down, I may be onto something here...

Hopefully they stop making the combat about speculating on how many enemy reinforcements are going to show up this turn every single battle.

Yes the gaming industry has gotten so fucking stupid that an indie game is the only thing that gets my hype sensors going, granted it's an indie game where you play the captain of a prototype military spaceship with a load of high power weapons and hot anime chicks onboard. In space!

Though Dishonoured 2 should be pretty good. Maybe they'll even learn to spell the title properly this time.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I can't think of too many things from the past, because when I was younger I was hyped for everything and rarely (if ever) though a game was bad. Though over the last few years, I can definitely think of some things.

Disappointing: BioShock Infinite. I wanted more BioShock, but all I got was Call of Duty with pretty colors. And a more predictable story.

Met My Expectations: Watch_Dogs. I figured it would be an amusing but not too deep open world game with lots of piddly shit to do (like all Ubisoft games), and that's what I got.

Above and Beyond: The Last Of Us. I knew I'd like the game from the demo, but words cannot describe my love for it now.

Hyped For: The Last Guardian. Even more than the fact I want to play this game so bad, I want to know what the backflipping fuck happened after Ico! Just give me answers!

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Disappointing: Mortal Kombat Armageddon ? Fuck this game and fuck all the laziness and lying PR behind it!

Met my expectation: Bioshock Infinite ? I knew I would love it, and maaaan did I ever!

Above and beyond: Mass Effect 3 ? with all the negativity buzzing around this game and all the shit I sort of saw hurled at this things ending (I stayed away from all topics for fear of spoilers and absorbing the negativity) I was so scared about what my experience would be with this game. Then I ended up absolutely loving it. And I mean absolutely loving it. None of the negativity had effected me it turns out. What I took away from this game was just as good as if I had not known a thing about it.

Hyped for: Yoshi?s Woolly World, Doom 4.

Curious: Gear of War 4 ? This looks...so different from the shitty Michael Bay rides that were the last three. This actually looks like it has more to it than grimacing ugly burly men viciously killing and cursing every step of the way.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm pretty good at keeping my expectations fairly realistic. Just as a recent example, Watch Dogs I enjoyed it. It wasn't a great game, it didn't deliver on half of what the hype was selling. But even after that early (like 2 years early) "gameplay trailer" I wasn't expecting it to. Instead, it was a decent Ubi openworlder. Kind of a nice cross of Farcry (but worse weapons and way better vehicles) and Assassin's Creed with new toys and abilities. Kind of weak writing, bad characters, and a story that just goes nowhere... you know, like MOST Ubi openworlders.

However, I fell bigtime for Masters of Orion 3. Considering how 2 makes my top 10 of all time list, I was hyped for 3 and seriously let down by what 3 turned out to be. As far as right now. I took a week off for the Fallout 4 release. With everything else hitting stores this year... that's all I can say I'm "hyped" for.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Pretty rare that games will match your hype. That's part of the problem with it.

Most met my expectation: Xenoblade Chronicles. I knew from the second I saw it this game was made with me in mind! And I was right. Except for the slightly crap ending, a nearly perfect game.

Most disappointing: Super Mario 3D World. This is kinda harsh cos it is an incredibly good game. But I'd just come from playing the Galaxy games and bought a Wii U especially to play this. It was ONLY excellent. Rather than being a masterpiece like Galaxy

Most hyped for today: FF7 Remake, Zelda U.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Fell really, really, really short of expectations: Resident Evil 6.

Fell way short of expectations: Any Final Fantasy post 7, Red Dead Redemption, Dawn of War 2, Diablo 3, Duke Nukem Forever (duh), Resident Evil 5.

Fell kinda short of my expectations: RAGE. I still like this game a lot, but I think people tend to hype up any game from ID Software way too much. God of War 3. Dark Souls 2.

Met my expectations: Arkham Knight, Dishonored, Shadow Warrior.

Went above and beyond my expectations: Bioshock, Mark of the Ninja, X-Com EU, Witcher 3, Arkham City, Shadow of Mordor. I honestly hadn't even heard of Shadow of Mordor, and I initially just dismissed it as another cheap cash-in on LOTR. Man was I wrong.

Looking forward to: X-Com 2, Shadow Warrior 2 (I think it looks better than Doom 4 does).

Feb 28, 2008
Rare that I look forward to games nowadays, since it's so seldom that I buy and play a new one. Nevertheless, I was highly disappointed by Dark Souls 2. A great game, no doubt, and initially it looked as if it might match the first; but as you play it this sense of growing deflation occurs, as you realise that the pieces aren't coming together as they were in the first one. Despite this, I am still absolutely hyped for the third installment, on account of Miyazaki's involvement (and I have heard rumours of developmental problems with #2, that hopefully can be avoided this time).

As an example of one that exceeded my expectations, definitely Dynasty Warriors 6. I expect incremental, barely noticeable changes in that series, but that entry changed quite a bit; subsequent games kind of rescinded a lot of what it introduced (sieges, rolls, breaking enemy blocks, etc.), and that for me is a real shame.

Trude

Nov 26, 2012
Waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2 English localization because faffing about with the fan translation is a massive pain and I don't know if it even works any more.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I was pretty hyped to finish the fight in Halo 3, and that game certainly met my expectations. Halo 4, not so much. I was kind of let down by that game, despite having low expectations in the first place. Chief's story was done, but MS wanted more of that sweet Halo cash. Not really hyped for all that much lately, except for Star Fox Zero and Metal Gear Solid V.