Games that you will never play. Ever.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Zeren said:
I won't play the half life games. I missed them when they were new and innovative, so now they have nothing to offer me.
Since you haven't actually played them, isn't that a bit presumptuous?

I mean, unless you only play new, innovative games. Then I see where you're coming from.

Though to be fair, I suppose I could say the same thing about Mass Effect 2 and 3. I played a bit of the first one and was bored to tears. The story just did nothing for me and the characters and universe didn't draw me in.
I would say give number 2 another shot it's much better. But If that doesn't make you like Mass effect nothing will.

as for the question. umm *scratches chin in thought*

All sports games they are worthless and boring.
And R.T.S games never liked them really.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
League of Legends.

I admit, I tried it once, but I got scared 'cause people started yelling at me. It doesn't seem like what I'd call a "fun" game, since the experience largely consists of people telling you you're doing something the wrong way.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
1. I'll play multiplayer games, just not ones where the only thing to do is multiplayer. I found it impossible to "try something new" without being given brilliant titles by teammates. That said, I'll play it if all teammates are RL friends.

2. Any games where the player is essentially transit service for the main character. I played Tomb Raider for about 6 hours before giving up on Lara "tard" Croft. eg. Uncharted, The Last of Us, most Anime-RPGs.

BloatedGuppy said:
1. Console exclusives for consoles I do not own. $500+ is too steep for a single title, no matter how brilliant.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
World of Warcraft. Never once tried it, not even a trial. It just doesn't appeal. It's... How do I say this? It looks like the "grey paste" of MMORPGs. Also I've always hated Blizzard because everything in their catalogue of IPs are poorly veiled Games Workshop ripoffs (hell, even Warcraft was meant to be a licensed Warhammer game but Games Workshop said no. So they changed all the names and shipped it anyway.)

I have, however, played almost literally every other MMO on the planet, so I don't actually have a thing against the technology in general.

I also am currently enjoying a 9 year long boycott of Ubisoft.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
MOBAs. In particular LoL. I really didn't enjoy the community and grew to resent them and playing that crappy game was just stressful. You don't play a game to get stressed out.

Apr 5, 2008
themutantlizard said:
any Call of Duty game and anything with microtrasactions or DRM
The DRM thing is patently untrue. It is not possible for you to play a game you bought today on any platform (except GoG) without DRM. Every game on Steam, XBox and PlayStation have DRM without exception. The consoles themselves have built in technology to check that discs are genuine. Every digital store bought game is tied to an account.

Except for MMOs and browser/mobile games (most of which have microtransactions) and GoG titles there are almost no games available that can be bought DRM free.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
MOBAs, and I'm done with diablo-clones as well, I hate the controls, passionately. Tired of the RTS, point&click and puzzle genres as well, and anything in the Zynga/King/etc style, if it looks like a facebook game, count me out. Same with pretty much everything labeled free to play, it's become a curse phrase.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Command and Conquer 4, because it's just objectively wrong in it's mechanics for a C&C game.

Asides from that I can't really think of any abominations. I have a strong dislike for horror, so if it had to be any genre I would happily abstain from that.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Wow. Reading the thread I'm surprised by the amount of actual nevers given.

I've dabbled in every genre and subtype out there when it comes to games, so the OT is a moot point anyway, well where the never is concerned.

but games/types I wouldn't actively seek out would be

Sports Games: They just don't do anything for me. I'm not a fan of the sports they're emulating and the concept behind them just doesn't spark any enthusiasm from me. Though on occasion I have had fun with it. Ex: Boxing, mma, goofy sports games.

Racing Games: urrrgh. These are so dull, doesn't help my bias that most of my friends are dudebros and aside from their yearly cod/sports they play racing games to maintain their macho street cred. The kart games are fun though.

That's about it. Gems stem out from all of the genres so I'd rather not close the door on some potentially awesome experiences.

like Dark Souls to name one. I heard all the same BS most of the peeps above mentioned about difficulty and pvp blah blah and I still decided to give it a shot. It's a fun game. NO where near as hard as it's lauded to be either, so don't let that stop you.

EDIT: Guess I'll throw in League in there too. I never thought I would play that game in fact I shunned it lol. but when I moved into a place with roommates, all they did is play league and the environment got to me. IT CAN BE A LOT OF FUN. My advice to those that dabbled and left, keep your kid mentality and it will be a blast.

Once you open your eyes to the meta- innocence is lost man. You can never go back.
All you'll see is counter champs, fotm, cpm, tried and true builds ad nauseam. it's no longer a game but a job, you need to maintain to feed your inner elitist.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
Pretty much all horror tho i do love the dead space series. I'm just not a fan of the genre for the most part

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I'll say "Never say never" on all other games 'cept one: World of Warcraft. I've got little enough social life as it is, I don't want the rest of it to go up in flames.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
F.E.A.R. 3

F.E.A.R. 2 was already a stretch from the original F.E.A.R, but then they had to take to a whole new level. They gave the Pointman a face, a voice because modernization and people don't like silent mute characters. The god awful live action trailer. Just everything about F.E.A.R. 3 is a no. So I won't buy it.

Deadspace 3

What is up with me and 3s on my list so far? I will be that weird rare individual who thinks Deadspace 2 improved greatly on what Deadspace 1 didn't have or didn't do properly. I actually liked Deadspace 2. But all good things must come to an end. If we say in cartoons that cartoons are being Disneyfied. Then Deadspace was Residentfied and went far more actiony than its predecessors.

Resident Evil 6

Do I have to say anything else really?

alceste007

Jun 4, 2012
Humm, interesting lists. I for one tend to judge a series after playing a couple.

1. GTA (I played San Andres and can not understand the hype. Mindless violence is still mindless).
2. Dark Souls (I played Demon Souls. Boring memorization coupled with uninteresting story).
3. Metal Gear (half hour long weird non interactive videos are not for me).
4. Sports games (just not a fan so will never buy one).

Honorable mention goes to Bethesda, I really hate how they release the buggiest pieces of crap and get universal praise. So I wait a minimum of one year after release, maybe half the bugs are removed by then.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
I'll brave the dull and the repetitive, the flashy and the shouty, the empty and the linear because of quirky concepts, my nephew liking it, and good stories. I've played sports games to share an evening with a friend, partied with song games, laughed in MMOs, and enjoyed free-to-play games to relax and point out flaws in game design. And yes, I played Candy Crush. And I LIKED it!

Was it empty? Yep. Pointless? You'd better believe it. Cartoonish? Mmm-hmm, and so casual that it was lying down. And it was an untimed (for the most part) match 3, which feeds my inner desire for order, simplicity, and calm. Thirty minutes of that and I am relaxed and ready to throw myself back into the real world.

But my mind rebels at the blatantly, unrepentantly awful. The Postal series heads the list of games that I will not permit into my computer or console because they are mind-crushingly, stomach-turningly callous. Also in that steaming pile reside Duke Nuke'em Forever, School Shooter: North American Tour 2012, and The Curse of the Chocolate Fountain. I might play Ride to Hell: Retribution one day to demonstrate the level of putrid game that can actually get to market, but I'll be blessed to the highest order of celestial fire before I allow anyone to come near me with Call of Juarez: The Cartel. There are other games out there that I can reference to demonstrate flawed mechanics or crippled design. I don't need to use this tripe.

On the "love the idea, but I'll never get around to it" list, EVE Online (sorry guys, I don't have the time to invest in it), Saint's Row (looks stunning, but I know I'd get tired and drop it after a few hours. I completed GTA III once upon a time, all of it, and that was enough), and any Final Fantasy except X (which I've already played all the way through and that cured me of ever having to play a Final Fantasy game again). If I had infinite time and infinite processing power and infinite cash...well, I'd be a Bond villain and be able to play Dungeon Keeper with living minions, so I wouldn't play them then either. Oh well.

On the "you have fun with that. I'll be over here..." list, most horror games (I avoid horror movies and unless I find a story I really enjoy, I'll stay away from 'em), MOBA games (and I include run-and-gun online multiplayer games in this because I really don't see much difference. Yes, that means I don't want to play Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2. Sorry), and practically all fighting games (I grew up in arcades and I've played all the Street Fighter and Mortal Combat clones I will ever have the desire to play). I know these are all popular games and genres and I bid those of you who enjoy them happiness and fun. Just please don't ask me to play with you. Please?

Oh, and I'll never play Titanfall. Because fuck you, EA.

The Random Critic

Jul 2, 2011
In terms of genre

I also don't like playing fighting games, it's probably cause it is one of those things I'm just terrible at.

I also try to avoid MMos now a days, unless I know the game it self is worth investing my souls into.

I also dislike grand stratdgy, but that will probably change once I figure out how the fuck CK2 work. (Civ 5 is pretty sweet also)

As for games

Dear Ester, because spending 10 minutes walking and listening doesn't feel like it's worth my money investment

Along with any game made by EA expect for Battlefield and DA

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
All cartoony games which feature less culturally-influenced aesthetic designs. A Link to the Past's pink hair is probably the most "anime" thing out of any of those games.
The pink hair wasn't a design choice though. It was a technical limitation in the color palette of Link's sprite. They needed the pink for the bunny sprite when you go to the dark world without the pearl.