Games that you've abandoned playing

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
In the last month I've abandoned playthroughs of both Xenonauts (after 16 hours) and Divinity Original Sin (after 37 hours). I don't want this to be a rant thread, so all I'm going to really say is that I thought their difficulties were unbalanced and frustrating, I wasn't enjoying playing, and I lacked motivation to continue.

I guess I feel kinda guilty on some level. Even though I know ultimately I made the right decision because I'll have more fun with the next game, I don't like wasting money and I don't like being a quitter. Its actually quite rare for me to just stop playing a single player campaign. I've finished some really bad games over the years solely on the basis that "I bought it so I'm going to finish it".

So I was hoping to read about some of the games you guys have abandoned, recently or otherwise, and then I can feel better, knowing this happens to other players :)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I abandon probably a good majority of the games I start playing, to be honest.

Most recently was Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It's a squad-based tactical-lite FPS, and I was quite enjoying it up until I got to the beginning of Act 6, where you're sent into a mission without any squad. At that point, big problems I had with the game and its predecessor (namely the sheer volume of enemies in levels and how they were often simply spawned in rather than having deliberate placements on the map from the start of the level) basically killed the fun I was having, because without the moderately-competent AI to help me out I was just dying over and over again.

I don't mind a rock-hard FPS, but the Vegas games tried to straddle the line between tactical FPS and CoD FPS too finely, and I don't think the mechanics really meshed together all that well. It's a shame, too, because I quite like the actual gameplay itself and the character progression mechanics they added in to Vegas 2.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Final Fantasy 13 is just sitting in my game rack. Haven't put it in my PS3 for ages, I'm just stuck in this hellish part. I play for five minutes and just scream "done!". No other game really comes to mind at the moment.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Who needs the campaign when you've got Terrorist Mode to get split in half by five seconds in?

I've got a few games that I've been meaning to get through but I've left them by the first few missions. Metro 2033 most recently as I ended up going to bed due to stomach bug, and I've yet to return to it.

This is not helped by me currently playing through my GOTYs for the seventh generation on a back up 360 profile (currently at 2012, woo!) so when I should be focusing on finishing Alan Wake I just want to play Spec Ops: The Line, Rayman Origins or Dead Rising 2 (take your pick).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
GTA San Andreas. Nothing against it, I felt it was too much like previous GTA games and probably got bored/distracted because of that.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I abandoned playing Witcher 2 only 6 hours in according to Steam, so probably even less than that since Steam counts leaving it open when doing something else as play time. I don't "abandon" many games at all, anything I stop playing is classed as on the backburner and i'll pick up again later. Only a few games have earned the Oh Fuck This Award.

I just got sick of the endlessly repeated lines, the fact that it was trying to be overly grimdark and just makes itself look childish with every other random NPC going "look at us, we're swearing and/or, murdering and/or raping people! Are we cool and mature yet?" the combat was poorly explained and messy and while having no obvious quest markers sounds like a good idea, they seem to have forgotten to provide an alternative so the game is obtuse as fuck for no good reason.

I also abandoned Skyrim just as I got to the final boss. I got to the exit of that Valhalla-esque place where you fight the main boss dragon, saved before opening the door and promptly never touched the game again. Interest just disappeared entirely.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
- Witcher 1. GERALT IS A FUCKING IDIOT. You can't hold your sword high and stare your opponent to death.

- Tomb Raider 2013. Lara Croft is THE Antagonist, since she seems more interested in undoing everything I did with a cutscene. Why the fuck am I here anyway if you are just going to do that.

- Falskaar for Skyrim. Dear big bad guy (can't remember his name), I have 2 dragons, your troops standing in a perfect place for my shout, and a pair of war glaives that does 300 sweeping damage, but NOOOOO, plot armor and cutscene demands I stand there while the MacGuffin is handed over to him. I promptly ride my arse outta there, since the Jarl and his friends are clearly too stupid to rule.

- State of Decay main game: the only way I'll ever return is if I can cap Ed Jones in the head. No reason to stay in a game where the game forces me to like a guy I absolutely despise.

- Dark Souls. The PC version is a mess.

That's about it really, all the others I plan on playing.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Elfgore said:
Final Fantasy 13 is just sitting in my game rack. Haven't put it in my PS3 for ages, I'm just stuck in this hellish part. I play for five minutes and just scream "done!". No other game really comes to mind at the moment.
I got to Chapter 11 but couldn't get past the opening-chapter boss...It was the third or fourth boss that I got stuck on and even though I COULD continue grinding I've just had enough with the game. This was a few years ago though...

---

More recently though would be GTA-V. I need to have a character take flight lessons...two characters have done this already...I'm not going through that shit again. It sometimes feels like the GTA series has a tutorial fetish and it just really annoys the Hell out of me.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
A lot of the games in my Steam list I've played for ~30 minutes then given up on because they weren't that much fun, but to add something a bit more specific there's a couple of PS3 games I struggled with.
Yakuza 3 was a game I thought was going to be a fast paced, open world brawler kind of game. After spending hours of caring for the fucking orphans and their issues I called it quits and never bothered with it again.
Brütal Legend went from an awesome open world action game to a confusing RTS game(a genre I'm not a fan of). Really loved it until the RTS sections took over, but not even the soundtrack and humor could keep me invested afterwards.

Most recent abandonment would be Alice: Madness Returns about a month ago. Was intresting at first, though it felt very low budget. After ~90 minutes I couldn't be arsed anymore.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
The one that comes to mind is Warhammer:40k Space Marine. The game asks the question what happens if we put Gears of War and mixed it with Ratchet and Clank? The answer a boring slog. I mean it's not bad. But why would I play it?

GeneralChaos

Dec 3, 2010
Achron for me. It's a brilliant time-travel RTS that executes the promise of time travel in a game near-perfectly. Unfortunately, despite being released three years ago, its controls, pathing and AI are more like a 10-15 year old game. I really WANT to like and finish this game, but eventually gave up trying to wrestle with it.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Well after playing Mount and Blade: Warband for 100 hours and getting nowhere near the end i persisted, then i lost my save. Now i can't face starting again.

:(

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
DanielBrown said:
A lot of the games in my Steam list I've played for ~30 minutes then given up on because they weren't that much fun, but to add something a bit more specific there's a couple of PS3 games I struggled with.
Yakuza 3 was a game I thought was going to be a fast paced, open world brawler kind of game. After spending hours of caring for the fucking orphans and their issues I called it quits and never bothered with it again.
Brütal Legend went from an awesome open world action game to a confusing RTS game(a genre I'm not a fan of). Really loved it until the RTS sections took over, but not even the soundtrack and humor could keep me invested afterwards.

Most recent abandonment would be Alice: Madness Returns about a month ago. Was intresting at first, though it felt very low budget. After ~90 minutes I couldn't be arsed anymore.
Thats strange I wanted more RTS sections in Brutal Legend.

Once I start a game I play it till its finished or put off finishing it unless its Lair...... that one pretty much sucked....

Mohamed Medhat

Feb 3, 2013
Stopped playing AC II from the sheer idiocy and repetitiveness of the story and uninspired level design. I think I was in sequence 8 when I quit--of course, i went back to it a few weeks later and eventually finished it.

LA Noire--once I got to Jack Kelso, I just lost interest.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
- Bioshock: Infinite

Nothing about the game was really grabbing my attention. I got to the point with the Chinese weapon smith when I quit because I had to go eat. Then when I was considering continuing I was like 'Nah, I'm gonna do something I'll actually have fun with.'

- Final Fantasy 13

Because of obvious reasons.

- Outlast

The only thing that scared me with this game was that I was getting so frustrated I was ready to smash my TV in half.

- L.A. Noire

After that huge fucking fetch quest I was just done getting jerked around by this game. It was also so dull I can barely remember anything about.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Assasin's Creed III I played it for 3 hours and was bored out of my mind. Now AC II also had a bit slow start but unlike that game there was just nothing interesting happening.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Dragon Age Origins. I'm on the last fucking boss too, the big dragon, but I just can't kill the fucking thing with the shit I brought along.

Kingdom Hearts 1 ages back. Got destroyed by Riku as a child and just gave up.

Witcher 1. I think I just can't play single player games unless I invest a good amount of willpower into keeping my focus.

Theater of War. It's just stupid. Place units and watch. I even looked for adive via google and the forums and they said "just hope their shots don't hit you and that yours hit them". Fuck all strategy, just pretty to look at with repetition until you win.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Skyrim: Fun for a while but I couldn't care less about the plot and the combat was getting way too easy.

Fallout 3: The Fallout obsessed chick I was trying to court turned me down.

Dark Souls: Too stressful.

Deeponia: I literally fell asleep while playing this.

Half Minute Hero, Space Hulk, Hotline Miami, Papers Please, Bioshock Infinite, Torchlight, Ocarina of Time, Baldur's Gate, Valkyria Chronicles 2: All complete shit.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Well there is actually a lot of them sadly, but the first one that I thought of was actually Ni no kuni. The reason was simply that the combat aspect of it was just downright horrible. Since you can only control one at the time, your partymembers is controlled by the AI, wich is so incredibly stupid that it's not even funny. They just bumrush everything while not even trying to stay alive.

People say it's a good game, and it may be, but that combat was just not worth it.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
ps4 killzone, borderlands 2 expansions, assassins creed liberty, dragon age origins, gravity rush, dragons dogma, resident evil 5, dark siders, fallout 3, .. I'm sure theres more.

I used to feel like if I bought it I should beat it. But I got over that way back on the ps1. I've still got ps1 that I never even took out of the shrink rap. Especially now with all the ps+ games. When a game stops being fun or interesting I skip it. And even if I meant to go back too it, if I've left it too long I just never will.