Games to buy before you die

Sefa Lagaaia

Jul 23, 2010
Just sort of a list of games that you think everyone should play because they were truly a shinning example of gaming brilliance,they can be recent releases, they could've come out before the dinosaurs were around, it doesn't matter. I'll start,
- Jak and Daxter 1-3
- Ratchet and Clank 1-3

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I don't know about buy, because I don?t think I can buy it anymore, but I certainly want to play System Shock before I am served up on a golden platter for the worms.

And that's about it I pretty much almost own every game I was ever curious about or wanted to play.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Sefa Lagaaia said:
- Ratchet and Clank 1-3
What was wrong with 4?
TitusGroan said:
Timesplitters 2
Why not future perfect?

As for myself I'll go for;
Ratchet & Clank 1-4
Bastion
Guacamelee
Total war (any, except Rome 2 which supposedly still sucks)
Dark/Demons Souls
Starcraft 2
FTL
God of War 1-2
Dragon age origins
Bioshock

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Top 10 I'd recommend to anyone to at least try off the top of my head:

-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
-Sly 2: Band of Thieves
-Chrono Trigger
-Final Fantasy 6
-Final Fantasy 9
-Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (With necessary fan patches to get it running. It's totally worth the trouble.)
-Doom 2
-Serious Sam Gold (The First and Second Encounter)
-Portal

PS - If we were to throw in multiplayer games, I'd say Killing Floor definitely.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
TitusGroan said:
Why Ratchet and Clank 1-4, but no Mario 64? While we're talking about preferences here...
When Mario 64 came out I was very young and didn't get far so can't really comment about it that well, but I did enjoy it. Although as I see it they are rather different games, I remember Mario being mainly a platformer while R&C is more about comedy and shooting.

Edit;
I was just interested as I preferred Future Perfect due to the gameplay, despite the more silly characterization of Cortez.
Edit;

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
JoshGod said:
I was just interested as I preferred Future Perfect due to the gameplay, despite the more silly characterization of Cortez.
Edit;
In this sort of thing I would also recommend TS2 over Future Perfect mostly because TS2 ends up having a more unique design overall (and since this thread is about trying games before dying giving a unique experience is rather important).

Future Perfect is still a great sequel for TS2 and the story is awesome but TS2 really handled the "random missions through time" perfectly as each level simply was something completely new filled with interesting objectives (and the fact that harder difficulties added more objectives was amazing).

A cool thing about FP is that even though they changed the controls for something closer to Halo they still let you tweak stuff in the options menu to have it like it was in TS2, that was very cool.

For me Timesplitters will always be something closer to TS2 then FP (more frantic and more about memorization of a level), the multiplayer of both games is rather similar though, I guess TS2 does manage to be somewhat faster with small details like incredibly quick reloads but its still mostly the same.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
josemlopes said:
In this sort of thing I would also recommend TS2 over Future Perfect mostly because TS2 ends up having a more unique design overall (and since this thread is about trying games before dying giving a unique experience is rather important).

Future Perfect is still a great sequel for TS2 and the story is awesome but TS2 really handled the "random missions through time" perfectly as each level simply was something completely new filled with interesting objectives (and the fact that harder difficulties added more objectives was amazing).

A cool thing about FP is that even though they changed the controls for something closer to Halo they still let you tweak stuff in the options menu to have it like it was in TS2, that was very cool.

For me Timesplitters will always be something closer to TS2 then FP (more frantic and more about memorization of a level), the multiplayer of both games is rather similar though, I guess TS2 does manage to be somewhat faster with small details like incredibly quick reloads but its still mostly the same.
I agree that the whole tone of TS2 was better the levels, characters and the story, but I still preferred FP's guns mechanics and level design from a shooter perspective more.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Chester Rabbit said:
I don't know about buy, because I don?t think I can buy it anymore, but I certainly want to play System Shock before I am served up on a golden platter for the worms.

And that's about it I pretty much almost own every game I was ever curious about or wanted to play.
Have fun.

OT: I dunno, there's shitloads, man. Half Life, Bioshock, Portal, Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Resident Evil, Pong. All seem like games that are good to play just to get an idea of all of the roots of things in games nowadays.

Sefa Lagaaia

Jul 23, 2010
JoshGod said:
Sefa Lagaaia said:
- Ratchet and Clank 1-3
What was wrong with 4?

I like gladiator/deadlocked and all the PS3 ones as well, it's just, I grew up with 1-3 and I've beaten them enough times to know everything in the game back to front

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Super Metroid,
Another World/Out of This World,
Chrono Trigger,
The Mass Effect Trilogy,
The Last of Us,
The Sly Cooper games
(I don't remember how many now).
Half-Life,
Halo,
Deus Ex,
Dragon Age,
Max Paine,
Splinter Cell,
Goof Troop,
Kirby Super Star,
Mario 64,
Mario All-stars,
TLOZ The Wind Waker,
TLOZ Ocarina of Time,
Portal.

Just to name a few.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Oh god this is difficult...
I want boxed copies of...
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Phantasmagoria
and System Shock 2

But games I just want to play?
Prey 2
Kingdom Hearts III
and inFamous Second Son.

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
Sweet Jesus. Y u do dis

Bioshock (all of them)
Legend of Zelda series (most specifically Wind Waker, Link to the Past, the original one, Majoria's Mask, and Ocarina of Time)
Max Payne 1,2, and 3
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
Every single Super Mario game. Just pick one. You'll have fun.
Monkey Island 1 and 2
CHRONO TRIGGER
Final Fantasy VII
Punch Out and Super Punch Out

This list is going to get crazy if I keep going, really.

Chrono Trigger for sure. If you love video games, but never played it, fix this immediatly. It got me interested in JRPGs, RPGs, and classics on the SNES. One of the best stories ever.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Its kinda hard as some of the games im going to list really made its mark for me for the online multiplayer part. But had great single player also.

1)Total Annihilation 1997( was an RTS way ahead of its time,, downloadedable units for one, 3d terrain, being able to set units to patrol area's. Its universe worked well for multiplayer which is a detail that always bugs me, its never ending war, so makes sense for online gameplay. keep an eye on Planetary Annihilation, same guys)

2)Dungeon Keeper 2 1999 (being bad is good i think was the phrase they used. It was great playing the bad guy taking care of your creatures and deamons like little evil cyberpets before you go and invade the goody goody dungeon, had a great sense of humour)

3)Half-Life series (just still a great fps, i know its overstated but prob set the standard for FPS today, and single player story great, just STILL waiting for a conclusion almost a fucking decade on)

4)Counter-Strike 1.6/CS:S&CS:GO (there is a reason why its still one of the most played fps games ever to this day and it first came out in 1999, so much fun and satisfaction, some great fire fights and endless user created content)

5)Dawn of War series (One of the only games to do the warhammer 40k universe justice in a video game, capturing the atmosphere best ive seen, and a kick ass RTS with a new spin, no more base building and more focus on getting in the action. Its hard to master but when you do, its epic.sadly not as popular as the likes of StarCraft)

6)Doom 2 (every gamer should play single as, or hand in your gamer card, if for nothing else to see how it all started)

7)Portal 1&2 (just really surprisingly fun and funny puzzle game, with links to the Half-life universe)

8) MetalSlug series (all round best fun side shooter ever for me)

9)Zelda Link to the past/Ocarina of time (to me they are the same game just one is in 3d. Both have 3 main dungeons/temples to deal with before getting the mastersword and the dark world :) either way both legends)

10)super mario allstars+mario world (simply unbeatable classics)

11) Left 4 Dead (just great co-op zombies, hordes of them plus the other infected it really gets the panic factor going alot of fun. I still find this alot of fun as you cant be a hero and solo, you need teamwork)

12)Aliens vs Predator 1999 (the sounds, the looks, the feel, they got it perfect. The marine felt perfect, the guns all sounded and felt powerful the motion tracker added the sense of unease if your team of marines were facing a really good alien hangin from the ceiling or walls waiting to jump on ya or pred player all invisable picking you off one by one. the last thing i heard alot of the whine of the disc before i died. Or the last stand AI aliens vs marines fun fun fun)

13) TeamFortress Classic & 2 ( TFC satisfied the itch of more explosions and heavier guns that CS 1.6 at the time did not fill, boy was that crazy with the nades every class had. While they took out the nades for TF2 the lovable art style and gameplay is pure fun, like being in your own violent pixar movie with body parts flying about. And the MANN VS MACHINE mode is also sooooo much fun)

Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn,Sun. Red Alert 1( classics, it all went abit silly after EA took over WEstwood and i myself lost interest but i always had fun tank rushing)

StarCraft ( while i hate the series now as SC2 feels just like the SC i used ti play non stop back in the day just with a new lick of paint. SC1 was alot of fun and perfectly balanced. Just get ready to click click click click as fast as you can if you wanna win on multiplayer)

The Sims (really not a game i would play but.....it drags you in, you start off with a power trip being an evil god to your sims, then you find yourself giving a dam about them, then you get the money cheat, then you buy a bunch of shit and kit out a house, then you build a huge house, then you gotta make yourself as a sim and then your friends and then build all your friends homes and kit them out, and then you start trying to get your Sim version of you to WHOO HOO in the hottub the chick friend or girl your know that you semi creeply made into a sim. And then you look at the time and its fucking 3am WTF !?!!?!?! lol

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Super Metroid
Minecraft
Tomb Raider (all of them, even Angel of Darkness)
LA Noire
Super Mario World + Super Mario Land 1&2 + Super Mario 3D Land
The Walking Dead Season 1
Civilization IV
Crusader Kings II

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
JoshGod said:
Sefa Lagaaia said:
- Ratchet and Clank 1-3
What was wrong with 4?
TitusGroan said:
Timesplitters 2
Why not future perfect?

As for myself I'll go for;
Ratchet & Clank 1-4
Bastion
Guacamelee
Total war (any, except Rome 2 which supposedly still sucks)
Dark/Demons Souls
Starcraft 2
FTL
God of War 1-2
Dragon age origins
Bioshock
Just purchased dark souls any advice to a noob who is new to this type of game?

OT: Time splitters 1-3, shadow of the colossus, ico, jak & Daxter trilogy, even though i only got half way through it i'd say spec ops:the line and there's many many more

stromjob

Jan 28, 2014
Sefa Lagaaia said:
Just sort of a list of games that you think everyone should play because they were truly a shinning example of gaming brilliance,they can be recent releases, they could've come out before the dinosaurs were around, it doesn't matter. I'll start,
- Jak and Daxter 1-3
- Ratchet and Clank 1-3
Jak and Daxter trilogy is hands down something you must play before you die!

Im gonna suggest current games that I loved to play:

I found Limbo and Braid to be pretty cool games to play and wonderful time wasters