Games we want but aren't holding our breath for

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
A Spyro the Dragon game with the spirit of the original three. It wouldn't even necessarily have to be made by Insomniac; I thought A Hero's Tail was a pretty decent attempt on the PS2. Not perfect, but a lot better than anything else Spyro-related that's seen the light of day in roughly a decade. Heck, even Enter the Dragonfly could have been okay if it wasn't rushed out for Christmas and buggier than a Florida picnic. I guess all I'm saying is return Spyro to his platforming roots with a developer that gives even a teensy-tiny bit of a shit.

I was never much of a fan of Crash Bandicoot, but the same idea would be great for him too. More platformers in general is what I want. Aside from Mario, the industry has been painfully barren of good 3D platformers since the end of the sixth gen.

The recent release of The Sims 4 has made me wish for an improved and more "intense" version of The Sims 2. I found TS3 to be lacking and I'm not going to touch TS4 with a ten-foot pole, but there's something so intriguing and, dare I say, indefinable to me about The Sims 2. I know that there are so many mods for the game that I can pretty much reshape it however I want, but technology has advanced so much since 2005. I can only imagine what a new Sims game would be like today if EA hadn't completely lost their shit and Maxis wasn't but a shell of its former glory.

Final Fantasy XV...might as well be in the same realm of fantasy as the rest of these. If I ever see the day when it gets released, I will know not what to do but weep.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Hairless Mammoth said:
Danny Dowling said:
A Sonic game like Sonic 3:
Everything was perfect in that game for me, Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles is the greatest game of all time for me. If Sega did something similar to what Capcom did with Megaman 9 and 10 but with Sonic (specifically 3), I'd be all over it like flies round manure.

Ecco the Dolphin revival:
2.5D please if you're going to give it the modern look. The old Ecco games were fantastic, classics, and there needs to be some more of that IP now.

Jak & Daxter revival but like the old ones:
Open world go-around-collecting-stuff-whilst-discovering-a-beautiful-and-mysterious-world brilliance. Guns? No way. Jak being all Christian Bale? Get out.
Are you reading my mind? That been my creed for all three franchises for years. Sega dropped the ball(after years of outright popping it using a needle with the Sonic IP) so hard it wiped out the dinosaurs with Sonic 4 and practically forgot Ecco exists after the 3D Dreamcast game. And Naughty Dog, in less that 2 games, had to unnecessarily add Ratchet and Clank and GTA into the mix of other games that they were inspired by to create the Jak and Daxter world. I want true entries in these games' respective franchises.
Always good to find someone that feels the same about these things as i do.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Danny Dowling said:
there are 2 clear cut splits in Pokemon; the multiplayer and the single player. Travelling around beating gyms and stuff is its own thing and the battle competitive is its own thing. I don't really mind that they're so different.
I don't mind that they're separate, what I mind is that there's so little effort involved to make single player good on it's own, and that with the single player they act like it's supposed to be something to prepare for the multiplayer portion but doesn't do that in the least. I mean, at least 9/10ths of the dialog in the game involves trying to teach some sort of strategy to the player while with the actual gameplay utilizing said strategies are completely pointless and in fact are a waste of time.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
Danny Dowling said:
there are 2 clear cut splits in Pokemon; the multiplayer and the single player. Travelling around beating gyms and stuff is its own thing and the battle competitive is its own thing. I don't really mind that they're so different.
I don't mind that they're separate, what I mind is that there's so little effort involved to make single player good on it's own, and that with the single player they act like it's supposed to be something to prepare for the multiplayer portion but doesn't do that in the least. I mean, at least 9/10ths of the dialog in the game involves trying to teach some sort of strategy to the player while with the actual gameplay utilizing said strategies are completely pointless and in fact are a waste of time.
I find the single player experience in Pokemon decent tbh

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Danny Dowling said:
I find the single player experience in Pokemon decent tbh
So do I, but there's only so long that you can live with a game series being just "decent" and having to basically play the same game over and over again with all the same glaringly obvious problems with no real attempts made to fix them before you get bored and fed up with it.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
i dunno. there's always a new generation of kids to discover Pokemon, so i suppose they don't feel the need to. the older fans either stick or decide they've grown out of it.

Dec 10, 2012
I never got tired of Pokemon retreading similar territory. Although I've never played past the third generation, so maybe by X & Y it does get annoying. But I do like the idea of a game that involves the entire pokemon world, every region, every single pokemon, and perhaps they could hire a real writer to at least create a twist on the traditional story. I would love to spend 300 hours collecting 60 badges and 700-something Pokemon.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
TheVampwizimp said:
I never got tired of Pokemon retreading similar territory. Although I've never played past the third generation, so maybe by X & Y it does get annoying. But I do like the idea of a game that involves the entire pokemon world, every region, every single pokemon, and perhaps they could hire a real writer to at least create a twist on the traditional story. I would love to spend 300 hours collecting 60 badges and 700-something Pokemon.
not sure what i want from it story wise personally. i kind of like the idea of being a wordless pokemon trainer just out there to be a pokemon master.

obviously certain things would need to be done about things like whether you'd need to beat Team Rocket in Kanto again or what generation of gym leaders/elite 4 you fight, but I think it could work really well. if they created some "your pokemon can't travel from one region to the next yet [beat the region then your past team is available or beat all regions and unlock it]" would really make the game work long term.

In fact I'm good for it to look pixel style, actually tbh I preferred it to what they did with X/Y, the grid based movement was just better.

But it'd also be nice to see Orange Islands in there as well as I don't think they're really explored outside the anime.

so many options...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I still want a spiritual successor to Skies of Arcadia. Prequel, sequel, sidequal, somethingquel, as long as it's not NyQuil.

Also, I think it'd be pretty cool to have a Dynasty Warriors inspired Power Rangers/Super Sentai game, especially given the Legend Wars/199 Great Hero Battle that came from the recent anniversary. Decades of heroes to include.

Aaaaand, finally...Burnout. I think this is what I want most. A return to form from a company that's no longer really out there. Something similar to Burnout 3, and definitely something with crash junctions. Multiplayer crash mode was the best.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
I still want a spiritual successor to Skies of Arcadia. Prequel, sequel, sidequal, somethingquel, as long as it's not NyQuil.

Also, I think it'd be pretty cool to have a Dynasty Warriors inspired Power Rangers/Super Sentai game, especially given the Legend Wars/199 Great Hero Battle that came from the recent anniversary. Decades of heroes to include.

Aaaaand, finally...Burnout. I think this is what I want most. A return to form from a company that's no longer really out there. Something similar to Burnout 3, and definitely something with crash junctions. Multiplayer crash mode was the best.
I was always up for a decent Power Rangers game myself. Personally I was thinking more a 1v1 fighting game (imagine the greatest fighting game of all time turns out to be Power Rangers), I mean I've never been a fan of the Dynasty Warriors style games or those one piece games that, I presume, is what you're describing here. But yeah, some kind of Power Ranger love that goes back to Might Morphin, definitely.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Danny Dowling said:
I was always up for a decent Power Rangers game myself. Personally I was thinking more a 1v1 fighting game (imagine the greatest fighting game of all time turns out to be Power Rangers), I mean I've never been a fan of the Dynasty Warriors style games or those one piece games that, I presume, is what you're describing here. But yeah, some kind of Power Ranger love that goes back to Might Morphin, definitely.
There actually have been several fighting games based on MMPR, though most of them I know of come from the earlier seasons. I would probably still play one if it was expansive enough, but I haven't been a big fighting game fan since the late 90s. Dynasty Warriors came in mind because of their action focus, their large rosters (and I really would like to be able to play as dozens of Power Rangers), and their history of licensing games from popular Japanese properties (The new Zelda one, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, etc).

When talking about their Korra game, someone at Platinum expressed an interest, so maybe that would work?

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Danny Dowling said:
There actually have been several fighting games based on MMPR, though most of them I know of come from the earlier seasons. I would probably still play one if it was expansive enough, but I haven't been a big fighting game fan since the late 90s. Dynasty Warriors came in mind because of their action focus, their large rosters (and I really would like to be able to play as dozens of Power Rangers), and their history of licensing games from popular Japanese properties (The new Zelda one, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, etc).

When talking about their Korra game, someone at Platinum expressed an interest, so maybe that would work?
kill a battalion of Putty's, Lord Zed boss battle... yeah, I can see it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I would like to see Final Fantasy V, VI and, VII with updated visuals AND NOTHING ELSE and see them released on the 3DS, similar to how we got the FFIII & FFIV remakes on the DS.

I'd like another Bishoujou Castlevania.

I'd like a Pokemon RPG on the Wii U...one where I can play by myself and catch-em-all. I don't mind if I have to play for X hours, I don't care if I have to beat every gym leader 10 times, I don't care if the entire Pokemon World is represented and I have to beat all of the Pokemon Leagues...I want to catch em all without resorting to a cheat device or, buying two versions of what is essentially the same game.

Otogi 3

Wacked! Season 2...or...Episode 2...I dunno.

Skyward Sword on the Wii U...or just an update that lets me play Skyward Sword with a classic controller.

Another DC comics fighting game

A new Marvel Comics fighting game

A Marvel vs DC comics fighting game

A Marvel vs DC comics fighting game with Darkhorse and, Image comics characters as special, hidden, playable characters

ROCK BAND JAPAN! ROCK BAND JAPAN DAMMIT, ROCK BAND JAPAN!! I NEED SEIKIMA II AND, GACKT AND, I DON'T CARE, I NEEDA...YOU TEASEAH!!!

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
A new Phantom Crash game. That game was pure gold, Steel Lancer Arena International probably killed the series though. It wasn't bad but a sequel to an xbox game released on the Playstation 2, how could they not know that just wasn't going to work out well.

Also a proper turn based Shining Force sequel, come on Sega get ya head outa your arse's. See that fire emblem game that?s selling like hotcakes, Shining force could totally do that too. Just make the damn game already :(

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'll make it easy for myself and just say "Any of the great old Playstation titles"
A new Crash Bandicoot, a new Spyro (Skylanders doesn't count), a new Parappa, a new Medievil... ooh, and a new Oddworld.

Also I want a Poke-Warriors, League of Legends warriors, and a Paper Mario game better than Thousand Year Door.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Well, I'd love to see a sequel to Beyond Good & Evil, but Ubisoft apparently derives some kind of perverse, fucked-up pleasure from dangling the prospect of just considering making the game in front of the fans. They've even used it as a selling point for some of their games. "Oh, you want BG&E 2? Well, if you buy these games from us we might just think about making it! Maybe."
And the teaser trailers with no follow-up are just cruel.

Nor am I holding my breath for a Psychnauts sequel. Especially after Notch's unbelievably brash dick move in hyping up the fans, promising funds and collaboration with Tim Schafer, and culminating it all by saying, "Egh, I'm bored. Don't wanna do it anymore." just as the deals were set to be signed.
I'd do dark things for Psychonauts 2... It's one of those innovative ideas that can still go in so many different directions.

I know it's practically been a decade, but the fact that Shafer continues to say that he's willing to work on it if he just had the resources gives me a painful little glimmer of hope.