Games where using a shotgun feels awesome/Games where the shotgun sucks

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Shotguns, we love them, they aren't really good for long range but when you hit something there is no better feeling. So the question for this thread is what games do you think the shotgun feels awesome or what games do you think the shotgun sucks

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
games it is awesome:

counterstrike
halflife 2
borderlands series (seriouslly, there is a shotgun which shoots swords that then EXPLODE)
halo series
left for dead
payday 2

games where the shotgun sucks:

Fallout
dead rising
Deus Ex
far cry
mass effect

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Awesome shotguns:
Mass Effect 3: Claymore, Wraith, Crusader. I LOOOVVVEEE being a Krogan Vanguard with a Claymore, you're a one-shot wonder! Also, Crusader = sniper shotgun, and it's GLORIOUS!

Tomb Raider 2013: The combat shotgun especially. It does so much damage and feels and sounds so weighty, love it!

Terrible shotguns:
Dead Space 3: So many awesome weapons, but then we get to the shotgun and while it looks beastly, it fires tissue paper.

Any shotgun in Mass Effect 1: Well, all guns in ME1 were limp, but shotguns were especially sad.

Mass Effect 3: Geth Plasma Shotgun, Scimitar, Graal

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
The ones that immediately stick out as the most satisfying are the shotguns in the Soldier of Fortune games, FEAR, and Wolfenstein: The New Order \ The Old Blood, simply because they all make such a satisfying mess of enemies. I'm sure there are many more, though.

The worst ones are pump-action shotguns that don't kill standard unarmored enemies in a single blast at a somewhat reasonable close range. Especialy when the enemies don't flinch when shot, it makes the shotgun practically useless. One example is the original Perfect Dark, where you can drop standard enemies with three SMG rounds to the chest, but you need to hit them with the slow-firing shotgun twice unless you get right up to them or it's a headshot. 2016 Doom could also have been an example, but since the standard shotgun at least puts weaker enemies into glory kill mode, it gets a pass.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Awesome:
Far Cry 3's M133 pump-action shotgun (ESPECIALLY with Ziggy's Mod.)
Project Brutality
Halo: CE
Halo 4
Soldier of Fortune
Painkiller
Doom 3 (I swear, you could finish at least half the game using only super close range shotgun blasts. It was awesome and hilarious.)
Does UT99's Flak Cannon count?

Lamest:
Halo Reach
Quake 2 (Double Shotty sounded and looked soooo nice and meaty though even if it still needs a buff. All the weapons in Quake 2 are in sore need of a buff though honestly except maybe the BFG. It was kind of ridiculous.)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
AWESOME

-Doom
-Halo
-GoldenEye
-Resident Evil

LAME

-Gears of War
-Killzone
-Paladins

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Shotguns in real life are actually pretty impressive: they're versatile weapons that are effective at much longer ranges than video games and movies would have you believe. They feed easy, almost never jam, are cheap and easy to use, and come with a wide array of ammunition types. Plus, you have to admit there's something impressive about a weapon that's lingered into the twenty-first century with the attitude "rifling is for wimps". Do note that in World War one, the German government complained about the use of Winchester trench guns- the same government that had no problem with mustard gas.

Of course, that's violence in the real world, which is horrible (if impressive), and we're discussing violence in video games, which is awesome. I'll mention Doom (no, not ZCC, the original), which I'm surprised no one but Hawki brought up before me; the shotgun was that game's bread-and-butter weapon, and surprisingly effective, even at range. The super shotgun from Doom 2 worked more like a standard video game shotgun, but it was very satisfying when used correctly. Also the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which let you do things like modify a "hunting rifle" and use exclusively dart rounds to make a sniper shotgun.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Doom (the original) was the bar to compare awesome shotguns for years, so I guess it is only appropriate that Doom (2016) is a fair competitor.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Awesome: Gears of War 1

Lame: Gears of War 4

Not bothering with obvious ones already said.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
skywolfblue said:
Awesome shotguns:
Mass Effect 3: Claymore, Wraith, Crusader. I LOOOVVVEEE being a Krogan Vanguard with a Claymore, you're a one-shot wonder! Also, Crusader = sniper shotgun, and it's GLORIOUS!

Tomb Raider 2013: The combat shotgun especially. It does so much damage and feels and sounds so weighty, love it!

Terrible shotguns:
Dead Space 3: So many awesome weapons, but then we get to the shotgun and while it looks beastly, it fires tissue paper.

Any shotgun in Mass Effect 1: Well, all guns in ME1 were limp, but shotguns were especially sad.

Mass Effect 3: Geth Plasma Shotgun, Scimitar, Graal
i second the comment about the me3 crusader.. you add an armour piercing mod to it and then laugh as people approach you carrying ballistic shields and you shoot through it.. oh how cute they took cover behind a concrete wall.. BOOM

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 remain my benchmarks for awesome shotguns, but I'm giving a special shoutout to Alien vs. Predator 2 and the Primal Hunt expansion for featuring a shotgun that let you swap buckshot for slugs if you wanted to.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Crap shotgun: Metro 2033. You could blast a monster at point blank and it would be less effective than using a sidearm.
Good shotgun: Hitman: Absolution. Kind of a waste since the game exactly doesn't focus on combat and gunplay.

skywolfblue said:
Terrible shotguns:... Graal
Ohhh, you did not just talk shit about mah beloved Graal.

That thing is a beast.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Brutal Doom, specifically Project Brutality has the most satisfying shotguns by far. Loud, meaty, and wrecks enemies. The pump has a satisfying pumping noise, the double barrel just gibs enemies, and the auto shottie just wrecks everything.

Another Doom mod, Guncaster, has an 8 barrelled shotgun that sends you back a few metres with every shot. That thing is damn fun to use.

For a good shotgun the main thread things are good animations, good sound and good visual power.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:

What do you not like about the shotgun in Gears 4? I find it pretty satisfying to use.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JUMBO PALACE said:
Saelune said:

What do you not like about the shotgun in Gears 4? I find it pretty satisfying to use.
I remember everyone complaining about the shotgun being OP in Gears 1. I was one of the people making people say that.

Ok, it "feels good" when it works, but I think it doesnt work right anymore and thus rarely feels good.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Great in RE4, lame in RDR. You can blast a random civilian NPC at point blank and sometimes they'll get up unscathed.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Saelune said:

I remember everyone complaining about the shotgun being OP in Gears 1. I was one of the people making people say that.

Ok, it "feels good" when it works, but I think it doesnt work right anymore and thus rarely feels good.
Haha you and me both. I got quite good at the fist game.

I've had the opposite experience so far in Gears 4. Sometimes I'm surprised at the range and damage from my gnasher. I like that the game seems to revolve around the shotgun again, I missed that from Gears 1. Anyway, fair enough. You know what works really well 100% of the time? The retro lancer. That shit is low-key the best gun in the game.

Oh and I guess I should get OT: A lot of my favorites have been mentioned already but I remember disliking the shotguns in COD 4 pretty much universally. Seemed to weightless. A good one would be the shotgun from The Darkness.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
The shotgun in Battlefield: Bad company 2 was awsome. If you aimed it correctly you could almost snipe people with it.

The Argus from CoD: Blops 3 was also really satisfying.