Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Aeriath said:
Sacman said:
Mirror's Edge...
Darkness62 said:
Mirror's Edge
As I quite enjoyed it on the console, I'd be interested to hear why you thought it was better on the PC. I haven't played it on the PC mind, but I still think I'd prefer it on console.

I think Fallout 3 is the only game I own that I have played on both, and I have to say I prefer the PC version. I assume TF2 is also better on the PC, if only for the updates. I couldn't live without airblast =(.
The control setup was a lot smoother and made the gameplay a lot more fluent, which was one of my big problems with the console version, because of the controls it felt very start and stop on the console version, they also fixed a lot of the collision detection too so you aren't stuck jumping up and down in place while armed guards put holes in your back... not to mention it looked prettier...

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
The analog sensitivity for movement is a big deal as well, you'd need a joystick to be able to do that on a PC.
...? Erm, mouse has always been faster and more accurate than analog stick - that's just one of those fundamentals in arguments between the two systems. Not really sure what that comment was aimed at, but I would think that you've got it backwards :/[/quote]

The mouse is better for aiming, but I was talking about movement. You don't have a gun most of the time in Mirror's Edge so aiming isn't a big deal, and the closer you are to your target, as is the case in Mirror's Edge, the less important the accuracy is. The effective attacks are the jump attacks and sliding attacks, followed by moving around behind the target to disarm them. That's not an area that the mouse offers an advantage. If you're planning on hanging around and sniping the game engine cheats by sending in enemies that don't drop weapons meaning you eventually are forced to run.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
migo said:
The mouse is better for aiming, but I was talking about movement. You don't have a gun most of the time in Mirror's Edge so aiming isn't a big deal, and the closer you are to your target, as is the case in Mirror's Edge, the less important the accuracy is. The effective attacks are the jump attacks and sliding attacks, followed by moving around behind the target to disarm them. That's not an area that the mouse offers an advantage. If you're planning on hanging around and sniping the game engine cheats by sending in enemies that don't drop weapons meaning you eventually are forced to run.
Ah, yes - I completely forgot about the whole moving thing (ironic for a free-running game, lol). Yeah, I'd have to say that a joystick for movement direction is more intuitive, and makes fine adjustments and moving at different speeds MUCH easier. It might not have the responsiveness of a simple key press, but there is much better fine control. However, using a mouse to turn and make other adjustments to direction is superior to using a joy stick :/ Looks like you can't really win, lol.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Only game that I've played on both that I genuinely thought was better on PC is Mass Effect. I never could get into it when played on a console, but it just felt much more "natural" on PC.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
migo said:
Ah, yes - I completely forgot about the whole moving thing (ironic for a free-running game, lol). Yeah, I'd have to say that a joystick for movement direction is more intuitive, and makes fine adjustments and moving at different speeds MUCH easier. It might not have the responsiveness of a simple key press, but there is much better fine control. However, using a mouse to turn and make other adjustments to direction is superior to using a joy stick :/ Looks like you can't really win, lol.
That's why I suggested a joystick. With joystick & mouse you could pretty much eliminate any advantage that the Move brings in for FPS games - movement to the stick, look to the hat switch, aiming to the mouse and have the screen stay the same even as the hand moves around. It probably wouldn't take off, but right now that's what makes me think the PS3 might suddenly become the best system for FPS. The other thing they could do is build a controller with a left analog stick (GameCube C-Stick style) and a trackball where the right analog stick would go.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Aeriath said:
bam13302 said:
better question would be what game has a better console version over PC, and i can not think of a single one
the only thing that even slight approaches this is maybe the force unleashed, and thats just because the controls lend themselves more towards the controller, hook up a controller to the PC, and PC wins
Well, I've never finished the mission in GTA: Vice City where you control a remote control helicopter and place charges around a building on the PC. The controls were horrific on the PC. I much preferred the PS2 version, although I am aware that people may disagree with my assessment that the PS2 version was better.
Ahh memories. I plugged a controller in for just that one bit of the game. It was all pageup and insert and shitty keys like that by default wasn't it.
The force unleashed doesn't allow you to change resolutions or graphics settings from what I've read, in that way it beats Saints Row 2 and GTA IV easily. Oh and Arkham Asylum works perfectly on PC, the mouse controls are even good for a brawler. Who said that it was a bad port? Nonsense.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
migo said:
Wicky_42 said:
migo said:

That's why I suggested a joystick. With joystick & mouse you could pretty much eliminate any advantage that the Move brings in for FPS games - movement to the stick, look to the hat switch, aiming to the mouse and have the screen stay the same even as the hand moves around. It probably wouldn't take off, but right now that's what makes me think the PS3 might suddenly become the best system for FPS. The other thing they could do is build a controller with a left analog stick (GameCube C-Stick style) and a trackball where the right analog stick would go.
Thing with a joystick is that they're big, cluncky, and your hand position on them isn't like any other control out there. I'd rather duel-wield a gamepad and mouse, to be honest XD
That little analogue stick beneath the thumb, taking movements of up to 1 cm or so to control max-min responses, is much better than a full joystick, where you need to twist your whole hand through a good 5cm or so, for quick, responsive control. But I see where you're coming from.

As for looking around in games separately from the cross-hair, there's a TrackIR system that does that on games like ArmA2 using a sensor and a head-mounted gizmo. Looks kinda cool, but lacks support and is far too expensive. Move and stuff looks kinda neat, but there's going to be problems with the player in an FPS turning and moving through environments - is he going to be moving with a joy stick or what? Does he aim manually with the controller on the screen, as in a light-gun game, or does that turn the whole screen? How does the crosshair work with that? I dunno, it's going to be interesting to see how it all goes, lol.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
migo said:
Have to disagree with Mirror's Edge, quick turn is rather necessary and having it mapped to the shoulder buttons lets you do moves that are otherwise insanely hard with keyboard and mouse.
Yeah, pressing the 'Q' key is a total *****. You know, the one that rests right beneath your ring finger.

OT: Most games.

Some may be played better with a gamepad, so buy one of those, then all of you've got to be wary of are the few and far between ports that are sent from the devil himself. And yes, I am looking at you GTA IV.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
Sacman said:
Aeriath said:
The control setup was a lot smoother and made the gameplay a lot more fluent, which was one of my big problems with the console version, because of the controls it felt very start and stop on the console version, they also fixed a lot of the collision detection too so you aren't stuck jumping up and down in place while armed guards put holes in your back... not to mention it looked prettier...
I'd have to try it to test the controls, but collision detection issues do sound VERY familiar to me. It wouldn't look prettier on my PC, but it's about £7 so I might buy it on the PC and play it again to see how it's different.

EDIT:

octafish said:
Ahh memories. I plugged a controller in for just that one bit of the game. It was all pageup and insert and shitty keys like that by default wasn't it.
Something like that. The memory is a little fuzzy and red tinted.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Thing with a joystick is that they're big, cluncky, and your hand position on them isn't like any other control out there. I'd rather duel-wield a gamepad and mouse, to be honest XD
That little analogue stick beneath the thumb, taking movements of up to 1 cm or so to control max-min responses, is much better than a full joystick, where you need to twist your whole hand through a good 5cm or so, for quick, responsive control. But I see where you're coming from.

As for looking around in games separately from the cross-hair, there's a TrackIR system that does that on games like ArmA2 using a sensor and a head-mounted gizmo. Looks kinda cool, but lacks support and is far too expensive. Move and stuff looks kinda neat, but there's going to be problems with the player in an FPS turning and moving through environments - is he going to be moving with a joy stick or what? Does he aim manually with the controller on the screen, as in a light-gun game, or does that turn the whole screen? How does the crosshair work with that? I dunno, it's going to be interesting to see how it all goes, lol.
Yeah, the size would probably be an issue, but that's about the only way to do it with a PC right now. Unless someone makes Navcon drivers.

Where I'm thinking the Move works is you aim the cross hair without moving the screen using the Move, you control your physical movement with the analog stick on the Navcon and you tilt the Navcon to change where you're looking. The sensitivity would need to be tuned a bit though so it doesn't react to the slightest movements. I'm pretty sure it'll take a few years for the games to really figure out the best interface method using the Move, but it'll be fun to see nonetheless.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
pwnzerstick said:
Wait, didn't Counter Strike come out on Xbox at some point, I can't remeber, but just the concept of playing counter strike on console just seems retarded.
It did...but it didn't, I saw a video recently and it didn't really look like counter strike, it SOUNDED like it but the levels were different and such.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Martin Toy said:
All of them. Because Mouse and Keyboard will always be superior! Apart from GTAIV because that was the worst port in the world....
Essentially this, however as your asking a PC gamer, I'm bias.

Although, I'm not very good at FPS on the pc so I'll have to say consoles for that. And consoles aren't as expensive to upgrade, and usually cause less hardware/software problems. I just love my rig tis all.

However, I will say that MMORPGs, RTS, and Civ are better on PC due to the number of buttons and I find it just feels natural.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
smearyllama said:
Hey guys,
Within the next couple'a months, I'm gonna build a new gaming PC, and I was wondering.
Are there any games that are truly better on the PC? I know TF2 is, from reading forum posts, but I'm not sure. Also, could you give the specific reason it's better? (Gooder graphics is not an acceptable answer!)
OK, the main reason to buy a computer game now is better controls and MODS. So here are the games that I know are much better on PC
-Any game released by Valve
-Call of Duty 1,2,4
-Unreal Tournament 3
-Battlefield Bad Company 2
-Mass Effect 2
-etc.

Just check around and don't listen to fanboys. The most important thing for me though are the mods. A game can be exactly the same as its console counterpart, but if its modable, its better.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
All of them.

But that is my highly flawed opinion and I'm a horrible horrible racist against consoles.
Please note I said consoles not console players, please don't get angry =/

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I will always be a PC gamer and advocate for games designed for PC, I have to specifically note StarCraft. The port to N64 was god awful!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It's just shorter to list all the multiplatform games, where the PC version is worse.

Saints Row 2 comes to mind.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Sacman said:
Martin Toy said:
All of them. Because Mouse and Keyboard will always be superior! Apart from GTAIV because that was the worst port in the world....
Yeah actually the only game I can think of that wasn't better on the PC was Resident Evil 4... [small][sub]No mouse support? WTF!?[/sub][/small]
Also Saints Row 2 was terrible.