Games with a truly compelling storyline

NXMT

Jan 29, 2009
Crazzee said:
I mean, great gameplay to it, definitely, but story? Not so much.
There is hardly a variation for most mainstream games. It always involves X vs Y in a fight to the death/to save the world/vengeance. Now we're left with picking the one that sucks the least.

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Richard Groovy Pants said:
This is going to sound blunt but, it's not about having different tastes, it's about having lower standards. Sorry. :\
Well, if that's the case, and all games that essentially have the same story I now like, then I suddenly love every WWII game ever made even though I used to only like one Medal of Honor game which name escapes me at the moment.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
zeldakong64 said:
i'd say the jak and daxter series. It isn't the greatest i admit, but it is definitely immersive and carries you through a game of awesome mechanics and challenges. Plus, the humor is on occasion ACTUALLY FUNNY. i know right? it seems to me anyway that most humor in games hardly ever actually makes a person laugh and is just there for lack of a better way to express a lighter mood.
Holy hivemind, I was about to post the exact same thing.

I however, will admit it's the greatest.

also:
Crazzee said:
Portal Maniac said:
The best ones I've seen probably tie between the Halo series and Oblivion.
Halo? *Shudder*
I'm sorry...But Halo's story isn't compelling. Some of its gameplay can be, but the story is "Mater Chief, there's some big rings in the sky, go blow them up." "...'Kay." Then he does, and gets trapped in a space ship. The end.

You can trivialize any, any story or plot if you try. Because no matter what it will always come down to good guy, bad guy, main goal. Try harder next time. Or at least have a semi-valid argument.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
NXMT said:
Crazzee said:
There is hardly a variation for most mainstream games. It always involves X vs Y in a fight to the death/to save the world/vengeance. Now we're left with picking the one that sucks the least.
Yeah, I really agree. Killing tons and tons of guys isn't exactly my thing, but Halo did an alright job at that. They also did an amazing job at establishing a fanbase that is way too big and obsessive.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
also:
Crazzee said:
Portal Maniac said:
The best ones I've seen probably tie between the Halo series and Oblivion.
Halo? *Shudder*
I'm sorry...But Halo's story isn't compelling. Some of its gameplay can be, but the story is "Mater Chief, there's some big rings in the sky, go blow them up." "...'Kay." Then he does, and gets trapped in a space ship. The end.

You can trivialize any, any story or plot if you try. Because no matter what it will always come down to good guy, bad guy, main goal. Try harder next time. Or at least have a semi-valid argument.
Oof, I have so much I can say, but I would rather not start an argument.
So I'll just make a final statement and be done on the subject: Like I said, it's a good game, but the story could use some work, the same way, say...Twilight could. I know it's a crude comparison, but just go with it for a moment. It's got a good concept, albeit a little generic. Granted that Twilight would still be not so good if it WAS fixed, whereas Halo would remain pretty awesome/get better.

42manZ

Jun 7, 2008
I was actually surprised to not see Final Fantasy 7, which is the game that comes to at first, second and third thought. Many people consider it overrated, and I agree, but it's still a great game, or at least great story ,even if the spin offs are terrible.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Crazzee said:
CmdrGoob said:
Good lord, some people have low standards for storylines!
Care to elaborate upon that?
Halo - the standard cliched action stuff with cliched action characters is a compelling storyline? Oblivion - bland fantasy stuff with bland characters is a compelling storyline? Fallout 3 - terrible ending, plenty of crappy writing, plot holes makes for a compelling storyline? Low standards.

ChaosTheory3133

Jan 13, 2009
I appreciate unique story lines.
Tim Shafer Games (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts), Persona 4 (I like the more upbeat attitude of this one compared to its predecessor, and the story itself was an engrossing mystery that kept me guessing to the end), Beyond Good and Evil, Parasite Eve just to name a few.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Half-life 2 IMO, Bioshock, FF6 (so underrated), Starcraft

The one that tops them all? Tetris.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
CmdrGoob said:
Crazzee said:
CmdrGoob said:
Halo - the standard cliched action stuff with cliched action characters is a compelling storyline? Oblivion - bland fantasy stuff with bland characters is a compelling storyline? Fallout 3 - terrible ending, plenty of crappy writing, plot holes makes for a compelling storyline? Low standards.
Can agree with all three of those observations, but I actually kind of enjoyed Fallout 3, considering that I ignored the story and just went off to have fun.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Crazzee said:
CmdrGoob said:
Crazzee said:
CmdrGoob said:
Can agree with all three of those observations, but I actually kind of enjoyed Fallout 3, considering that I ignored the story and just went off to have fun.
Yeah, don't get me wrong I love Fallout 3 too, but I wasn't compelled by the storyline.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
zeldakong64 said:
i'd say the jak and daxter series. It isn't the greatest i admit, but it is definitely immersive and carries you through a game of awesome mechanics and challenges. Plus, the humor is on occasion ACTUALLY FUNNY. i know right? it seems to me anyway that most humor in games hardly ever actually makes a person laugh and is just there for lack of a better way to express a lighter mood.
I love that series. I recently replayed 3. Anyone who owns a PS2 should play these games.

mattttherman3 said:
Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia(not really that great, but excellent at leaving me wanting more.)
Tales of Symphonia is my favorite RPG. I haven't played Vesperia but ToS has such a great storyline.

I also would have to suggest Golden Sun 1 and 2. Both are amazingly good games and have very immersive storylines.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I'll say that only two story lines have really 'grabbed' me as such.

Firstly, GTAIV. Now, I know I'm a massive GTAIV cheerleader but there's a reason for that. The storyline not only manages to satisfy on a personal and emotional basis, but also satisfy the mind on an intellectual plane. I know, GTA and intellectualism don't exactly go hand in hand but I feel the examination of the follies of a life of crime through various outlets (see: Mikhail, Dwayne, Packie etc.) was just a great example of storytelling unique to video gaming.

Bioshock did satisfy on an intellectual level, and walking amongst the ruins of an objectivist philosophy was quite good (even though it's been done before), the game didn't connect with me emotionally. I mean, by god it tried (the couple who committed suicide because of their little Marscha?) but I felt all personal moments were related back to an intellectual idea rather than emotional core.

Secondly, I'd like to talk about my deep and enduring love for the Longest Journey/Dreamfall series. Longest Journey told a great story with a truly compelling protagonist, even if the whole 'my daddy doesn't love me' angle was pretty tired. I really fell in love with April Ryan, Crow and the others who help you on your way. Dreamfall I believe is the superior of the two simply because its storytelling is a lot more artful and emotional. I truly felt for Zoey and April and their struggles to find true meaning to their lives. I will say though, that the only time it strayed from this path was through the introduction of the whole Kian character. He's clearly only there to explore the invasion of an imperialistic culture upon Marcuria (Iraq War anyone?), so when the story sticks to delivering an emotional response rather than a intellectual one it's just one of those games you'll never forget.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
I guess I should stop bitching and name some actual good ones.

Planescape: Torment - the best game story ever, great writing, fantastic characters, great atmosphere, tons of interesting revelations.

Grim Fandango - Both funny and poignant with great characters and great writing.

Vampires: the Masquerade Bloodlines - great characters and dialogue, intrigue, atmosphere and humour.

Half Life series - great characters, subtle storytelling leaves intriguing details up to the player to find and work out.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
Indigo Prophecy, Shadow of the Colossus/ICO, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, X-Com: terror From the Deep, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, any Tim Schaffer game (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Psychonauts), Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, Half Life 2, KOTOR 1, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (say what you will, but this was a well written script that captured the original spirit of the trilogy), System Shock 2, Bioshock, Final Fantasy V, VI and VII, Resident Evil 4, MGS 1 and 3, The Darkness (except the final chapter), Fallout 3, Manhunt (very enjoyable story), I'm sure there's a ton I'm forgetting.

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
sheic99 said:
Madden '09
Really? I always felt that the characters from FIFA 09 were better developed.
I especially liked the believable sexual tension between Ronaldo and Rooney.

([i/]just kidding.[/i])

Washboard

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!
Dec 17, 2008
I found the Half-life 2 storyline VERY compelling, made me really care about the characters and what happens to them, emphaty is what makes a good game.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
GTA IV had a good story... but I was able to predict almost every major plot twist, so it never grabbed me like those games that do something surprising with their story twists.

Hey Joe said:
I'll say that only two story lines have really 'grabbed' me as such.

Firstly, GTAIV. Now, I know I'm a massive GTAIV cheerleader but there's a reason for that. The storyline not only manages to satisfy on a personal and emotional basis, but also satisfy the mind on an intellectual plane.