Games with great story but bad gameplay

Nomadiac

Jan 11, 2013
Sixcess said:
Oh hi, every-Bioware-game-ever.

Oh alright, that's a little bit unkind, but with the exception of Mass Effect 2, where I rather enjoyed the combat as well, I've almost always viewed Bioware's actual gameplay as something to get through so I can enjoy the next conversation scene.
Damn, I was about to post just this.

imahobbit4062 said:
Almost every RPG ever.
And this!

In particular amongst RPGs I'd single out Planescape: Torment - I got a few hours into that game and found the narrative, setting and characters really interesting, but I couldn't deal with the combat. I am not mourning the loss of AD&D rules from wRPGs.

Also, The Walking Dead has an amazing story, but the gameplay is terrible, both in QTE and point-and-click form.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
Soulbringer had some really really cool ideas in its setting but was let down by absolutely miserable gameplay. Fighting from the lower ground gave you tactical advantage, no way to restore magic except via potions (except for precisely one time really early on, early enough to make you think that inns exist in this game), a busted-ass proficiency system, a really weird herb-gathering system (IIRC, you had to eat an herb to identify it, and would automatically identify any copies you picked up, but if you ran out of that particular herb you had to eat a new one to identify it again.)

Siege of Avalon was a little-known Diablo-esque game that I only found out about because my dad used to work with its art director. Setting-wise it was pretty cool; I liked that the enemy army was composed of unified humans, orcs, and half-orcs, and the part where you infiltrate their camp and get to meet them personally wasn't something I had seen before. Broken gameplay, though; too easy to magic-spam enemies or get your Stealth so high you were just invisible all the time; bugs would sometimes make me invincible forever, and the companion AI was literally the worst I have ever seen. I eventually started using them to store my excess loot and leaving them at home because I was sick of them getting caught on stairs.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll use the wayback machine and suggest Police Quest 4: Open Season. Neat adventure game, but with really gimmicky, bad, gameplay elements. But the story itself and the attention to detail was seriously well done.

However, I prefer games where the gameplay is fun and the story is best skipped and forgotten. Like Tecmo's Deception series or Painkiller.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Point-and-click games like Monkey Island, because... C'mon. Don't get me wrong, the story, characters + jokes were awesome, specially in the example given, but the game-play of "Randomly click on crap hoping to hop on the train of logic needed"? Awful, and not a little frustrating, too, particularly if you don't think laterally enough.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
daveman247 said:
both KOTOR games
See, now for me this is a weird one. I'd agree that KotOR 1's gameplay is a bit of a chore. Indeed, when I first got it, I hated the initial combat on the Endar Spire that I almost gave up then and there. But I came back a few days later, persevered and ended up loving the game. Of course, it was pretty much my first 'proper' RPG, and the way I specced my first character was just a mess. Admittedly, I hadn't learned all that much even by my first playthrough of KotOR 2, but damn I love the gameplay in that. Always have too.

I'm not sure whether it's the new animations, or the new feats and powers that give you a worthwhile sense of progression, or for that matter the fact that guns were now a viable alternative. Maybe it's the skills being useful in the dialogue segments too, it sort of blurs the lines between where 'gameplay' ends and 'story' begins. That line gets even fuzzier with certain plot developments. Either way, with the exception of the Citadel/Telos/Telos military base (those sections are such a chore, even the d20 random damage, turn based combat is fun, IMO.

I also don't really agree with the comments so far on Mass Effect 1. Sure, I'd agree that ME2 and moreso ME3 were an improvement on gameplay (apart from ME3's 'press a to do everything'), but I really don't think there was much to dislike about ME1. There's maybe a lack of diversity in enemies, and certainly a lack of weapon diversity but if you picked the right class, it was a ton of fun. Infiltrator was a blast with a few points in sniper rifles, because unlike the sequels there were environments big enough that you could actually snipe from range with impunity. I also prefer how some of the biotics work - I still don't get why biotics don't work on enemies with shields or armour in 2 and 3, doesn't make any reasonable sense. For that matter, I prefer the enemies' health system in 1. While I'm at it, I really don't like what they did with Vanguards. In ME1, they were simply about trading a few higher end powers for better survivability and slightly better weapon diversity. ME2 made them all about close-quarters for some reason, but sacrificed the whole damage resistance idea to give it to the Sentinel, a class they obviously had no idea what to do with. So now you have a class meant to get in close - risking taking a lot of damage out of cover - yet you're just as vulnerable as an Adept, without any of the cooler powers. And I still think that 'charge' was hilariously lore breaking. Ah well, enough ranting.

OT: My vote would probably be the Witcher 2. I picked it up cheap in the winter Steam sale, and while I'm really enjoying the swearing, characters and story (to a lesser extent, I'm not at all versed in the lore, and I'm still too early in the game to work out what I should be caring about), I just can't wrap my head around the gameplay.

People are probably going to tell me I'm just doing it wrong. Fair enough. But I still think it has some genuine issues. For one, there seems to be a fair bit of delay between hitting a sign button and Geralt actually casting it, even before he has to go through the long animations. Blocking either doesn't seem to do anything, or I don't understand the timing of it. But what I think I find most frustrating is the game's weird insistence on preparing for fights. Part of me likes that you can't drink potions in the middle of combat, it adds a nice challenge and it makes sense. But how the hell am I meant to psychically know what's round the corner? The bit I'm on a the moment, I got told to go and meet a certain character. Now, he'd already tried to lead me into a trap, so I wasn't expecting it to necessarily go smoothly, but after a quick cutscene, I got literally dropped into a boss fight against a character who, from a story point of view, I wasn't expecting to see this early in the game, let alone fight. How was I supposed to know I'd need to drink a potion/wipe my sword with stuff to deal damage against humans ten minutes before the fact, when the game led me to believe I was going for a chat with a bunch of elves, FFS?

And it's ridiculously punishing for even the slightest mistake. Messed up that dodge because Geralt was faffing about laying an orange glowy trap? Tough shit, holmes, because that beefcake ************ threw a poison bomb at you and now you're down to half health with no way to get anywhere near enough of it back until you finish the goddamn fight. Manage to stun the shithead and hit in the back with your sword? Great! But you only carved out a sliver of his metre long health bar because you didn't smear the toxic blood of some random monster you killed half an hour ago onto your sword. And did you even think about barging into peoples rooms and nicking handfuls of gold so you could slowly save up to buy that pricey sword that does maybe 2 more damage than your current one? Ha, you dumbass! Go load an old save, you're not man enough for this RPG.

I wouldn't mind a tough boss fight if I only had issues there, but it seems I can deploy identical tactics against a group of, say, 3 nekkers in a couple of fights and the first time come away without a scratch, while the second time I might barely escape with my life. I don't even know why. Because random damage? I honestly don't know, and it's frustrating.

Yuck. Wall of text. TL;DR - The Witcher 2 because I'm not really a very hardcore RPGer.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Sixcess said:
Oh hi, every-Bioware-game-ever.

Oh alright, that's a little bit unkind, but with the exception of Mass Effect 2, where I rather enjoyed the combat as well, I've almost always viewed Bioware's actual gameplay as something to get through so I can enjoy the next conversation scene.
My first thought exactly.

Mind you, I've come to the conclusion that I really dislike Bioware, EA and most of the lore of Mass Effect by the first Mass Effect. Yes, I found Mass Effect 2 to be not too bad at all. I hated (still do) Mass Effect 3.

I 'liked' Dragon Age. Dragon Age II plays like some Zynga facebook game, blown up to fit the big screen. It's repetitive, clunky, bad and the bits of the story I remember of the bit I played is dominated by a dwarf with a close shave and some dominatrix that reminded me of the Russian prostitute that lived in my neighbourhood until she got deported... so, no, some of the Bioware titles don't even have such a great story, come to think of it.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Persona 1 has a good story but when it comes to gameplay,it's awful.It has a clunky combat system that you have to position everyone just right and your royally fucked if you get attacked from the back(which is often) as one party member is bound to get a status effect that won't let you reposition your characters(any of them). The conversation system is awkward and confusing and the exp system favors those who did the most in combat. Which wouldn't be bad except that sometimes enemy placement means that only one person can do damage and therefore gets the bulk of the XP. Also as a minor gripe the encounter rate is insane and the dungeons can be a tad confusing in first person.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I liked the basebuilding levels in Citizen Kabuto myself. And I found ME2 the least interesting of the bunch combat wise. Oh well, personal taste.

I never got passed the area before you enter the city in the Witcher. I had to completely agree with Yathzee, by the time I could enter the city, I'd completely forgotten why I was trying to, after the endless annoying sluggish fights and walking around.

MintberryCrunch

Aug 20, 2011
Spec Ops: The Li-
sextus the crazy said:
Spec Ops: the Line.
Nouw said:
Spec Ops: The Line
janjotat said:
I've been ninja'd to spec ops
AD-Stu said:
Rawne1980 said:
Spec Ops - The Line
Ah. Not that I didn't see this coming... But still.
I think the bad gameplay seemed almost deliberate. Upon first hearing this before playing I assumed it was a copout by fans who were trying to make excuses, but then I played it and suddenly it seemed a lot more clear.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think Spec Ops should count. The gameplay is intentionally that of a shitty cover shooter because of the commentary it's making about generic shooters. It'd be like calling the "Scary Movie" series terrible horror movies when they're supposed to be parodies rather than the genre they're parodying.

Anyway I'm going to say Adventure games and visual novels. Gameplay is either nonexistent or serves as barriers of access to the "real" meat, which is the story. Sometimes I wonder in those cases why they didn't just write an actual novel or make a movie or something.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The Longest Journey
GREAT story, good characters, nice music, interesting locations.
Too bad it was BORING to play, with most puzzles being 'look up the FAQ because this thing is broke yo.
-Hell, and I LIKE point-n-click adventures.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
lechat said:
walking dead
was isn't a quick time event is a generic point and click
But it wasn't meant to be more than just a point and click. I still don't get that, people say there isn't much game play to it, but there wasn't supposed to be. That's sort of like saying Fallout 3 had bad FPS gameplay or that Call of Duty (or BioShock would probably be a better example here) is a horrible RPG. Neither of those games were trying to be that. The Walking Dead was a good game, not as great as everyone says it is.

OT: I can't really think of anything. I haven't seen a game that can stand on story alone with the game play sucking. I would say Dragon Age: Origins because the "combat" in that wasn't much more than what was in The Walking Dead, but it didn't even have a good story.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Korzack said:
Point-and-click games like Monkey Island, because... C'mon. Don't get me wrong, the story, characters + jokes were awesome, specially in the example given, but the game-play of "Randomly click on crap hoping to hop on the train of logic needed"? Awful, and not a little frustrating, too, particularly if you don't think laterally enough.
Or you know, just trying to follow that train of thought and figure the out the puzzles using your head? That is the point of those games. It's a light mental exercise.

Monkey Island had good puzzles.

There are no videogames with good stories; there are videogames with good stories-for-a-videogame, which translates as nice/okay.
If you cannot make it as a novelist or a movie director, you can always impress gamers. A magnet for failures who would rather make movies, but couldn't make it; that's what the game industry is turning into.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Headdrivehardscrew said:
My first thought exactly. [snip for space]... so, no, some of the Bioware titles don't even have such a great story, come to think of it.
Personally I'd define most Bioware titles as 'entertainingly written' rather than 'good stories.' I look on the Mass Effect series as a fun and flashy space opera, more akin to Flash Gordon than anything more meaningful. I've even been drawn back to TOR now and again - as an MMO it's seriously lacking, but the class stories are fun, even if the Sith are so over-the-top evil it's impossible to take seriously.

Conversation option : "Unleash me, Lord."
What's actually said: "I can't wait to start the killing."

The fact that the line is delivered in a posh british accent (yay for all the Sith being evil Brits!) just makes it even more hilarious.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Great setting, great characters, great voice acting, shitty, SHITTY, mash-tastic, unbalanced, clumsy, floaty, toothless (Metaphorically speaking) combat.

Your enemies react to every weapon the same way, swords are hideously overpowered, and your character controls like a ton of bricks on a spring.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
Walking Dead for sure. It's always praised as a point and click adventure, but as someone who grew up on the old Sierra library, it's not really.
I dunno, I think of The Walking Dead's story and gameplay to be inseparable. The story is interactive, it's a game unto itself.