Games with great story but bad gameplay

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Sixcess said:
Personally I'd define most Bioware titles as 'entertainingly written' rather than 'good stories.' I look on the Mass Effect series as a fun and flashy space opera, more akin to Flash Gordon than anything more meaningful. I've even been drawn back to TOR now and again - as an MMO it's seriously lacking, but the class stories are fun, even if the Sith are so over-the-top evil it's impossible to take seriously.

Conversation option : "Unleash me, Lord."
What's actually said: "I can't wait to start the killing."

The fact that the line is delivered in a posh british accent (yay for all the Sith being evil Brits!) just makes it even more hilarious.
Ah! Yes! Spot on, that's pretty much exactly what made me wary and very unhappy whenever 'dialogue' sequences popped up. At first, I thought I just misread due to some momentary lapse or a fit of ADHD.

I even replayed some sequences because of it, but, as it turned out, the options I took either made me look like a complete jerk (which was not what I went for) or they made me hop into bed or onto the kitchen table to get down and dirty and have recreational intercourse (again, not what I went for). That sure as hell stopped me from being nice to people.

A Red Robot

Oct 26, 2011
Deadly Premonition. I mean, everything aside from the story is bad, but I still found the game to be strangely enjoyable

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
daveman247 said:
Maybe in the way the game plays... but i have yet to see a shooter with better enemy AI, even if they screwed it up a bit in the latest halo :)
I remember being VERY surprised with the A.I. in the first "F.E.A.R." game. I'd say it's better than the one in "Halo".

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Mr Dizazta said:
Mr F. said:
Gears of War 3.

Seriously, that story made me cry.
Gears of War 3 had bad gameplay? Since when?
Will snip this one in the bud, I dont think much of Gears at all and I think the plot is a pile of hilarious wank. But the gameplay is fine. Fun, to a degree. I was making a joke to try and cause mild irritation.

Bahahaha

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
AD-Stu said:
I'll show my age and nominate the "good" Ultima games (IV through VII - the gameplay of the others was definitely bad too, but so were their stories :p) Ditto the first couple of Fallout games.

And then yeah, I'd agree with a lot of the modern stuff above (ME1, Spec Ops, Alpha Protocol, etc)
I'l raise you ultima 8 Pagan. I first played it 15 years after release, so I diddn't play the completely broken version and found the story really interesting and different from the other games i'v played from the series (IX,IIX part one and 2). The game play however, OH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. From broken platforming (WTF), randomly exploding chests, bland boxish world, Awful UI and constant crashing made the thing almost unplayable. See THE Spoony one's review to see just how bad it is.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I'll put a vote in for Too Human. The premise was interesting and I liked a lot of the story, but that horrible, horrible gameplay...

Oh and a vote for Dark Souls. Love the story, atmosphere and everything. But having a character who wields a dagger likes it's 50 lbs killed me... literally.

Dec 26, 2010
I would like to elect Soul Reaver from the Legacy of Kain series. I don't know about the rest of the series, but man, those were some weird control issues restricting the gameplay.

Mycroftian

The Mildly Enchanting
Aug 20, 2008
Even though I love the game to death, I'd say Persona 4. One of the most engaging narratives I've ever seen, some of the deepest and most likeable characters in gaming, and a cool, unique aesthetic puts this game pretty high on my favorites list. Unfortunately it has a boring turn based combat system and visual novel style dialogue scenes.

I'm also going to put out Asura's Wrath. While I wouldn't call the story "good", I found it laughably entertaining. The issue is the game essentially plays itself, being a 8 hour long anime that occasionally remembers it was supposed to be a game and lets you do a few quick time events that have literally no consequences for failure. I'm reasonably sure there was less than an hour of actual gameplay in the whole thing

Nonomori

Nov 20, 2012
Planescape: Torment, Psychonauts and Rule of Rose. Good games to watch.

In my opinion, Bioware isn't that bad. I'm having fun with Baldur's Gate again, and I don't even like turn-based combat. The first Mass Effect is clunky and imbalanced, but more or less fun when you get used to it.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Dragon Age. I've only played the first one and the story is maybe a little cliché "oh look we need to kill a dragon". But I think some of the characterization was brilliant.

Utterly hated the gameplay though

Semcat

May 14, 2012
Xenosaga 2 - I loved the first game, the story was amazing but it seemed that in the second one they tried to change everything and it just didn't sit right with me

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Iwata said:
daveman247 said:
Maybe in the way the game plays... but i have yet to see a shooter with better enemy AI, even if they screwed it up a bit in the latest halo :)
I remember being VERY surprised with the A.I. in the first "F.E.A.R." game. I'd say it's better than the one in "Halo".
Yeah fears good too, but halo's better. Theres a command structure in halo (all the grunts panicking once you take out an elite.)

Its surprising how few shooters have good enemy AI :/

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
UrinalDook said:
Yeah the powers were fun in kotor, but the act of using them was still boring - choose from menu and watch. Same problem with the combat. Its definiteley the story/ characters/ choices you play for :p

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
A Red Robot said:
Deadly Premonition. I mean, everything aside from the story is bad, but I still found the game to be strangely enjoyable
I was going to mention Deadly premonition, but it is my favourite game and I can't wait for the director's cut to come out on the PS3 *waits impatiently*.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
sextus the crazy said:
Spec Ops: the Line.
While the gameplay isn't terrible, it's rather bland, playing like gears of call of duty.
Have to agree. The shooting isn't in any stretch of imagination, but it's nowhere near spectacular or unique. Uncharted, a similar game (in fact, both protagonists are voiced by the same person) has this beautiful climbing mechanic, good melee use, and okay stealth. What does Spec Ops have? Sand. And sand is not even a gameplay feature, it's more of a scripted event that you can avoid entirely.