Games with lots of plot?

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Hey guys! I've had a hankering for games with heavy plot. I don't mind movie-games (Xenosaga, etc.). But I've noticed a lot of the popular games lately seem to focus more on gameplay and less on plot (Vanquish, Call of Duty, etc.). Those are nice, but I'm missing my plot.

I've played Metal Gear (all of it), Xenosaga, and Persona, to name some high-plot games.

Can people throw out some lists for me? What are good games with heavy plot? (Or character development :) )

Fiery Killer

Dec 25, 2010
I am proud to be the first one to post a reccomendation for Heavy Rain in this thread.

Also any games from the Final Fantasy series.

silentbob0000

Nov 14, 2009
The Kingdom Heart series for sure.I personally like the plot to the old tony hawk games, like THUG 1 and 2, and american wasteland

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Bioshock is an interesting example, it is fairly light on showing much plot, but you can feel it in the world around you and find remnants of it if you look hard enough. It's quite effective as a storytelling mechanism.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Bioshock revolves a lot around plot, although I haven't played it myself. Same with 999 [http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors] for the DS. NieR is a game that I have played that focuses a lot on story, and everyone agrees that the story is top notch, just the execution is where the opinions are mixed.

Final Fantasy focuses on plot too I suppose, but it focuses much more on character and character development than plot.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Played Heavy Rain. Don't like Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, although I've played them. Played Bioshock 1 and 2.

I'll look into Fire Emblem.

Character development is also awesome!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'd say start the Final Fantasy series with VI and stop whenever you get bored. So, probably at XIII.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I don't know how heavily you're into JRPGs and such, but you can find alot of depthy and excellent games made by Atlus Software, the people responsible for Persona among other things.

davidofdoom

Apr 14, 2010
Planescape: Torment for the PC. An amazing RPG. I've never seen a game with such strong character development and story. If you like that stuff, you'll love PS:T.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
*looks at avatar*

You know what game I'm going to suggest, so why should I even bother...okay, fine.

Red Dead Redemption!

Oh, and the Mass Effect games are pretty plot and character development heavy, too

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Aurora Firestorm said:
Played Heavy Rain. Don't like Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, although I've played them. Played Bioshock 1 and 2.

I'll look into Fire Emblem.

Character development is also awesome!
I'd definitely suggest NieR then. And Lost Odyssey, but the best part of the game is the Thousand Years of Dreams sequences. If you haven't played it before though, you may want to watch out because it has turn based combat and random battles.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I don't mind turn-based games or JRPGs. I love JPRGs. However, I don't like the Tales of Symphonia series -- too "cute" in style.

SirNerd

May 3, 2010
Half Life 1 and 2 also has some mods that are insanely good. For HL1, there's They Hunger, Afraid of Monsters, and several other single player mods. For HL2, there's Dear Esther, Minerva, and the upcoming Black Mesa mod.

VladimirSirin

Jul 8, 2010
Alpha Protocol.

I've done three separate playthroughs, and each time some new crazy thing happened. In fact, it's the only game that ever made me re-think who the villains were after playing a second time, taking a different path, and learning what their motivations were. Pretty ridiculous.

It's kind of got a Metal Gear Solid meets Mass Effect meets every single 3rd person shooter ever. And the story, again, is INTENSE.