Games you accidentally learned from

Vanilla_Druid

Feb 14, 2012
Kitsuna10060 said:
because of Castlevania SotN and Soul Reaver, i had to hit a dictionary to find out the meanings of a few words
I had the same thing happen to me while playing Fire Emblem.

Jan 13, 2012
I learned alot from most ww2 games (like weapons, battles and geography)

Also from the total war series (like weapons, battles and geography)

I learned about artificial intelligence and science from mass effect

Oddly enough I also learned political structure and culture from all three of these games.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
Learned to touch type from typing cheat codes in starcraft when I was a kid :-D also learned my directions from a random pinball game when I was REALLY young.

Yep, started out nerdy and never really stopped...

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
The Legend of Zelda (NES) taught me that there is ALWAYS hidden stuff in game, if you just know where to look. Also some critical thinking under pressure (but really, who uses that?)

The Illusion of Gaia (SNES) unknowingly taught me advanced reading and comprehension, both were required to understand and, by extention, play the game.

Super Bomberman (SNES) multiplayer taught me how to outsmart an AI who knows more about game mechanics than I do.

Parasite Eve (PS1) taught me about Mitochondria and how other cells function in certain ways.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete (PC) taught me about strategy and not just rolling around a map with one guy who holds me entire army.

World of Warcraft (PC) taught me that neverending games do exist and are pretty fun if you have the time and effort to play.

edit:
rednose1 said:
Orgen Trail taught me everyone, EVERYONE dies from dysentery.
Grandma dies of dysentery, cousin Joe gets hit be EVERY stray bullet fired, and everyone else gets scurvy because no one taught me to YAR HAR PIRATE-- I mean eat oranges and make it k.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Enough basic Latin to help a friend studying the subject (at an introductory level) from old-school RPGs.

And Sim City taught me just how long the fallout from a nuclear "meltdown" takes to clean up.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
TephlonPrice said:
Assassin's Creed games.

Believe it or not, it's like playing a history lesson where you can kill people in a variety of interesting ways. I really think Assassin's Creed is one of the most educational games I've played - and that's saying something.
YES

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
Medieval Total War 2 taught me geography. Perhaps I should update it. Constantinople for example.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Civilization taught me a lot too.

Early history, famous leaders, and what surprised my geography teacher one day early settlements needs and why they were placed where they were and developed into the towns they are today

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
Age of Empires taught me a lot of history, especially AoE3, where you could find information on units and people in those slow times in each match, especially treaty games.

Fire Emblem and other games helped me score a 750 on the Verbal portion of the SAT... We would do SAT prep in class and I already knew most of the words' meanings because I had encountered them in-game.

The articles the World of Tanks guys put out every so often has deepened my knowledge of tank warfare from the WWII era. Interesting stuff right there.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Welcome to the Escapist!

Well I learned English from games to a large extent, also from movies, series, book, internet and from school of course but games most I think.
Then from Mario games I learned that eating mushrooms makes you go down pipes...

ToAzT

Mar 14, 2011
Age of Empires, man. It was the thing that got me interested in history in the first place.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons
The eleventh world war was by far the most tragic.
Oh GOD. That war was terrible. I'm really surprised that the solar system, let alone humanity survived that one.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Oregon Trail taught me that if you ever need to cross a river, have a bunch of people you don't like with you because nine times out of ten somebody is going to die.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
I'm not sure what game it was, but over the years, games are what thought me to speak English.
Besides that, Assasins Creed's got quite a bit of educational value, I think.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
2 people ninja'd me on oregan trail, so.... ummmm... I guess Too Human taught me some about norse gods. I knew most of it already, but at least I won't be ninja'ing anyone.

Nydestroyer

Jun 12, 2011
Well games have taught me a lot Xenogears helped me pass spelling tests oddly enough XD back when I couldn't spell the word "Gear" XD the final fantasy games helped me learn to read better. Pokemon did the same. Lets not forget strategy games that help you tune your mind without you realizing it till you read somewhere that it does somewhere down the road. Assassins creed is a more recent example where I learned about historical figures and bits of culture from a team of people who are quite good at there job putting everything into a period. Ceaser taught me that more plebs where needed... XD was too young to understand that game when I played it.