Games you accidentally learned from

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
revenge6000 said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons
The eleventh world war was by far the most tragic.
Oh GOD. That war was terrible. I'm really surprised that the solar system, let alone humanity survived that one.
Yeah, the Zorlaks really pulled our asses out of the fire on that one. It's gonna take forever to build that statue with seventeen torsos, though.
Are... Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to rebuild it with ONLY SEVENTEEN TORSOS?
I mean, we could do the outside of one tentacle, but that isn't nearly enough to satisfy the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons
Oh GOD. That war was terrible. I'm really surprised that the solar system, let alone humanity survived that one.
Yeah, the Zorlaks really pulled our asses out of the fire on that one. It's gonna take forever to build that statue with seventeen torsos, though.
Are... Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to rebuild it with ONLY SEVENTEEN TORSOS?
I mean, we could do the outside of one tentacle, but that isn't nearly enough to satisfy the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Obviously you guys are taking the piss. It was very clear that the zorlaks were only with us IN THEORY! Recent evidence and unclassified files seem to suggest that the Zorlaks had plans to attack us and enslave us. But as soon as they realised the Fongustumstas would probably not let them and they probably couldn't fight them on their own, they made a deal with us and a sort of truce came out of it, combining forces to defeat the Fongustumstas, but ofcourse the Zorlaks had the most losses. Relations between us and the Zorlaks are still very fragile, but for now the truce seems to work and they don't seem to be willing the risk to fight us.

And even if they still plan to attack us, we will get our cane out of the cupboard and give them a damn good thrashing.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Age of Empires 2 with it's campaigns taught me a bit about history, I actually got to the point where I'd cheat to win so I could watch the talking cinematics that bookended each level. Bear in mind I was like like 12 or something. My dad says he was really amazed/proud when I asked him "Dad Reynald de Chatillon wasn't a nice person was he?", as my Dad's a big history buff.

I also learnt how to dance as a teenager from VTM: Bloodlines. I'm not joking.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Of course, the Total War games and Age of Empire games taught me a lot about history. Age of Mythology taught me most of what I know about Egyptian and Norse mythology. The Assassin's Creed series were also a great look at society at the time. And I must laud the historical accuracy of the earlier Call of Duty games.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
English, and a lot of it, from all sorts of games. It has helped me A LOT during school, now I'm probably one of the best, if not THE best, at English in my school. All those words and expressions come in very handy. Of course I've learned other things too, but English is the big one.

Counterwise

May 1, 2010
My Grandma once gave me a game called Master of Olympus: Zeus. Most of my intrest and early knowlege about the English language and Greek mythology comes from that game.
I still have the game in the original box, I break it out once in a while, and every time it's still as good as the day I first played it. I regard it as one of the best city building games to date.
Monkey Island shape my sense of humour to that which it is today.

Every game other than those I've played has been purely recreational(except than honing my English).

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
As someone who has english as a secondary language, I was capable of speaking it half-decently at the age of 9. The reason? Being determined to be able to read all the text in my N64 games. =p

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Ghostwise said:
Civilization learned me good! Albeit somewhat rough truthful knowledge but it does a fine job of teaching economics, politics and history. I also learned how to control immense rage through countless hours of frustrating platformers on the NES. :D
Civilization taught me that Gandhi was the Indian Avatar of War, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Mario Bros. taught me that mushrooms give you super powers.
Final Fight taught me that, if Hulk Hogan wanted to, he could probably be the Mayor of the city he's living in right now. Also, dumpster food is delicious.
Castlevania taught me that food found in walls is delicious, and that night is a terrible time to have a curse.
Duck Tales: The Video Game taught me that ducks don't need space suits to survive on the moon.
The Legend of Zelda taught me that smashing pots and destroying hedges is the quickest way to amass wealth.
Of course, the number one thing video games have taught me is to be a kleptomaniac. Regardless of how useless those 20 plastic pizza box inserts might seem, they could save your life some day.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Napoleon: Total War and Empire: Total War taught me an absolute shit-ton about the 18th century and the Napoleonic age. I'm hoping Shogun 2 will teach me as much about Feudal Japan, as its an area that my knowledge is rather sketchy on.

EDIT: Call of Duty: Finest Hour (the first one for the consoles) taught me a lot about the Eastern Front of WW2. I knew next to nothing about the Eastern Front, other than a cursory mention of "the Russian victory on the Eastern front" in Medal of Honour: Frontline. Speaking of MoH, that taught me a fair bit about WW2 as well.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I know the rules to a lot of American sports that I would otherwise have no clue about. Not really all that useful though... I've also learned how to play Shogi, Suduko, Mah Jong and Othello.

I learned how to drift from Indy 500 (Arcade). And I improved my driving slightly from Sega Rally learning to control skids.

When I went to San Fransisco I realised I already knew my way around thanks to Super Runabout on Dreamcast.

I learned a little bit more about the crusades through Age of Empires II and Assassin's Creed.

I learned how to shoot from Shooting Gallery (Master System) and how to check my targets before I shoot from House of the Dead (Arcade).

I learned not to completely trust the historical accuracy of games after traveling to Peleliu and then playing the Peleliu level in Call of Duty World at War.

I learned to drum from Rock Band.

I learned a lot from Ultima IV.

And I've been taught patience and persistence from many 8-bit games.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Off the top of my head, I never knew that ancient doctors in Europe would wear large beak-like gas-masks.

World of Warcraft (despite claiming 2 years of my life) taught me to touch type, because it's rather difficult to warn your friends about incoming tauren armies when you type with 2 fingers.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
RustlessPotato said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons
Obviously you guys are taking the piss. It was very clear that the zorlaks were only with us IN THEORY! Recent evidence and unclassified files seem to suggest that the Zorlaks had plans to attack us and enslave us. But as soon as they realised the Fongustumstas would probably not let them and they probably couldn't fight them on their own, they made a deal with us and a sort of truce came out of it, combining forces to defeat the Fongustumstas, but ofcourse the Zorlaks had the most losses. Relations between us and the Zorlaks are still very fragile, but for now the truce seems to work and they don't seem to be willing the risk to fight us.

And even if they still plan to attack us, we will get our cane out of the cupboard and give them a damn good thrashing.
HA HA, OH YOU. I'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL SAY NEXT, YOU RASCAL.
DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT THAT KIND OF SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR WILL GET US?? We're at a unstable peace with the Zorlaks, and they have technology FAR beyond ours. We were only enlisted to stop the Fongustumstas so we could serve as cannon fodder. We need to make them believe that we're weak and submissive, and never knew of their plans. That way, when they eventually do strike, we'll be able to fight back, and with Cthulhu on our side, we might just be able to take THEM out. We can't let them see that we actually have a fighting chance. Cause if they see that, we'll all be dead before we have a chance to fight back.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
.No. said:
RustlessPotato said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons

DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT THAT KIND OF SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR WILL GET US?? We're at a unstable peace with the Zorlaks, and they have technology FAR beyond ours. We were only enlisted to stop the Fongustumstas so we could serve as cannon fodder. We need to make them believe that we're weak and submissive, and never knew of their plans. That way, when they eventually do strike, we'll be able to fight back, and with Cthulhu on our side, we might just be able to take THEM out. We can't let them see that we actually have a fighting chance. Cause if they see that, we'll all be dead before we have a chance to fight back.
To be honest i'm not sure that humanity can count on Cthulhu. He's too reckless and always has an agenda. He might be on our side, but that's probably so he can advance his own plans. No, Cthulhu should be dealt with.

I think the best way to deal with the Zorlaks is to maintain peaceful relationships, at least until humanity has rebuild its army, but even then. I'm not sure what we'll fight with if it comes to WW12, but WW13 will then be fought with mere gauss rifles.

We should als try to contact Beebleboxers relations between us have always been good. Perhaps we could deal with the Hommstersflosters. They're a savage bunch, but perfect for psychological warfare.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Battlefield 1942. I was playing it right around the time I was learning about WWII in history. I could memorize all the main battles and general places that we're fought over at each one.

What was the only battle that was fought using only aircraft?

Oh of course "Coral Sea"

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
RustlessPotato said:
.No. said:
RustlessPotato said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons

To be honest i'm not sure that humanity can count on Cthulhu. He's too reckless and always has an agenda. He might be on our side, but that's probably so he can advance his own plans. No, Cthulhu should be dealt with.

I think the best way to deal with the Zorlaks is to maintain peaceful relationships, at least until humanity has rebuild its army, but even then. I'm not sure what we'll fight with if it comes to WW12, but WW13 will then be fought with mere gauss rifles.

We should als try to contact Beebleboxers relations between us have always been good. Perhaps we could deal with the Hommstersflosters. They're a savage bunch, but perfect for psychological warfare.
But... If not Cthulhu, who can we trust? JUST WHO CAN WE TRUST?
We MIGHT be able to trust Odin, if we convince him that every human genetically has some Norse in them. Because we'll need the help of at least one deity helping us if we're going to have any chance.
Oh, and world war could never be had with mere Gauss rifles.