Games you are just plain terrible at?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
shrekfan246 said:
Pretty much the entirety of the fighting game and real-time strategy genres.
Same. I like both genres, but I'll never pretend to be any good at them. Turn based strategy games I'm okay at, but I'm too much of a slow turtler to play RTS games decently.
Yep. It's why, while I enjoy Starcraft, the only 'RTS' I'd even say I'm approaching halfway decent in is Sins of a Solar Empire, and really I'm not sure it's fair to even count that because it's a 4X RTS game. But the pace of the game is slow enough that I can actually tackle things at my own leisure.

Course, I still get flattened if the AI isn't on a relatively low difficulty... I like building massive fleets and moving them all at once, which becomes a problem when the home worlds aren't defended well enough, because it takes too long to get back there. D:

OneCatch said:
Surprisingly, I'm actually pretty good at racing games, but I think that's partly because of the dozens of hours spent on Episode One Racer back in the day. A game which is downright ridiculous in terms of twitch reflexes and optimal placement.
This isn't even the worst track:

(Sorry about the LP-ness of the vid)
I want another one of those so badly.

"Abyss" was always the bane of my existence.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I'd forgotten that one! I was thinking of one of the tracks that's partly set in a jungle/forest/swamp.
But yeah, Abyss was horrendous too.
That soul destroying moment when one engine tipped over the edge, then the rest of the pod toppled after it, losing you that first place position.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
OneCatch said:
shrekfan246 said:
I'd forgotten that one! I was thinking of one of the tracks that's partly set in a jungle/forest/swamp.
But yeah, Abyss was horrendous too.
That soul destroying moment when one engine tipped over the edge, then the rest of the pod toppled after it, losing you that first place position.
Yeah, Anakin's "Grabvine Gateway" is probably tied with "Abyss" for the most horrifying track in the game. The computer can pull off turns that no human would ever be able to make.

I remember eventually I just began restarting "Abyss" every time I couldn't stay on the top level. It especially sucked because Bozzie Baranta's racer was my favorite design in the entire game, and you couldn't unlock him without beating the track.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Anything with pvp. I just can't keep myself motivated or care enough to win anymore despite me being quite good at single player and co op. It just came with age I suppose, I prefer to wind down in games now then be competitive.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
RTS'. I love them but god damn, I just suck at them. In most RTS games AI on easy is a challenge in itself for me.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Fighting games would be my ultimate weakness since I can't properly chain combos in the right manner and I've even used all sorts of different pads and joysticks.

Stealth games however I would be good at.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
Regarding the OP question:
Shooters. Oh god, I play Bioshock, which isn't even a plain and classical shooter, I know, but even then I suck big time.
I am just so happy nobody sees me shooting in games. Perhaps I shouldn't have skipped military service back then after school.

But even in general: I am never bad at the games I like, but I never seem to pass the a-bit-above-mediocre level. Especially seeing my brother playing all the games I like and always being better at them (by of course putting much more effort into playing and practising). What's worse is that he mostly plays everything I played or play some time after I started playing it and then surpasses me in weeks. With Dark Souls and League of Legends that was very annoying for me.
But then I work full time, he half time. It might make a difference, too.

The one and only thing which brings my brother to his knees are overly extreme quick time event games like Indigo Prophecy. He couldn't finish it, for me it was - after 5 mins of getting used to - like directing a concert of some sort and i finished that with no effort.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Pretty much every fighting game such as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and the like. Mostly because I struggle when it comes to learning the combos so It just results in pressing one button until my fingers bleed, or smashing random buttons and just hope to god that something fancy happens.

Not too great at conventional racing games either, games like Forza or GT, as my logic in these games breaks down to a simple "Breaks are for the weak". So I just go full throttle until I get across the finish line, or smash my car into the nearest solid object. I much prefer racing games such as Burnout or MarioKart, as then I can at least fight for first by slamming my opponent into a rock or shooting some kind of fast moving object at him.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I can't say I'm very good at fighting games in general. Probably the only exception would be Skullgirls, but even then, that's only after hours of practice. And I'm really only decent with two of the characters.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
I'm awful at Street Fighter. I can't seem to get the simplest combos down that involve basic canceling. Yet, I'm very good at Mortal Kombat and decent at other fighting games, so it doesn't make sense.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Shooters with a kill/rank systemwith rewards.

2nd day after it came out, I tried space marine multiplayer.
Only been on day, it cant be too bad.

Wrong, im level 1 with pistol/rifle/sword
Everyone elsevi played against?

...level 30+, with sniper rifles, rocket launchers, jetpacks, power swords

Aw Hell No!

I dont even understajd ehy people like that sysgem so much.
That's the game being bad, not you.

Sam Lowry

Aug 26, 2013
Puzzles, terrible memories from that tower puzzle in Mass Effect or those mathematical puzzles in KOTOR.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Hearthstone. Tried it a few nights, and after about 20 hours and 20 bucks spent, I must cede that it is not something I am good at.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Stealth games. Though I should damn myself by playing Splinter Cell and Dishonored..I love them too much not to, even if I suck at them.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I suck at strategy games although I really enjoy playing them. Recently I've been trying to figure out Europa Universalis IV with very little success. I'm basically terrible at both real-time and turn-based games. Real time because my brain can't process that many things at once so my micro and economy are terrible.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. When I started, it took everything just to figure out the mechanics behind basic movements (no, I'm normally not that bad at fighting games). Now, I just get completely decimated by anyone I play while everyone else looks on and asks, "Why didn't you [insert combo potential here]?" My answer is generally, "I can't even get [insert move here] down! How the hell do you expect me to do that combo?" I may be just as bad at Mortal Kombat, but given that I've successfully done moves in reverse order of how they should be performed (i.e rotate left to down when it should be down to left), I'm not entirely sure that is only due to my lack of skill. At least with UMVC3, I know it is just that I completely suck.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm incredible at everything I attempt.

Oh, except for the bits in Spirit Tracks when you have to play the flute, I was awful at those.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I suck... SUCK... at micromanaging.

RTS isn't a problem when there's low micromanagement (with the exception of Multiwinia, which runs on magic).

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
That new Divinity game. I didn't think I was bad at strategy games, per say, just that I didn't have the patience it took to really get into them. Dragon Commander, though, suggests that I actually suck at them. I've yet to win a battle. My generals don't seem to have a problem when I put them on the field, but whenever I send my dragon to a fight, I get wiped out really badly.

sigh