Games you consider 10/10.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I tend to put Personas 3 and 4 in this category. It's a pair of RPGs that's got their pacing done right.

I may have to put Fallout 4 in there too.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Naraku578 said:
Xenoblade Chronicles for the wii.

I cannot describe how good everything is in this game. Wonderful story,world characters. A fast paced combat system, where playing as different characters feel unique yet smooth. (Having visions about an enemy about to use an attack that will wreck your party but having time to counter it is awesome) Tons of content, the standalone story is 50-60 hours if you rush through the game, but it has an mmo sized level of quests and exploration to do. My first playthrough clocked at 120+ hours and my second/third playthrough were 80 hours+ as well. Geneuinely, I was sad when the game ended because I did not want to leave this world.

God bless operation downfall.
Um, what does the planned US invasion of Japan in WWII have to do with Xenoblade? (Edit: Think you mean Operation Rainfall).

Still, having recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles on my 3DS recently, I'll give it a shotout. It took a spot in my top 10 RPGs, but not quite my top 10 games. It would probably make it into a top 20 list though. Honestly, I wanted to say in the world, but having played the game since around May of last year, I figured it was time to move on to different pastures.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
There are a few games for me even with their flaws.

Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime 1
Pokemon Soul Silver (and by extension, Heart Gold)
The Witcher 2 (I havn't had a chance to play 3 yet)

and my absolute favourite game of all time....

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 The Sith Lords

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
B-Cell said:
elvor0 said:
You...but...people recommend that game for its story, not because it pushes the gameplay envelope. Having unique gameplay would actually be to the detriment of the game.
but who play games just for story??
There are games that I would otherwise not have played were it not for the story gripping me.

Because the story of Spec Ops is what makes that game special. Everyone gushes about the story in Spec Ops, noone mentions the gameplay, if you went in expecting something revolutionary there, that's because of a self inflicted expectation.

The game play being fairly interchangeable with any cover shooter is actually quite important to the meta-narrative, as is the fact that it is a game. The narrative themes depend heavily on it being a game.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Saelune said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
I don't really like using a numerical scale when talking about games. I typically give games the following scores: It's Great! (CoD 4: Modern Warfare, The Witcher 3, The Last Of Us, Half-Life 2, Portal), It's good! (Mass Effect series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls), It's meh... (Valkyria Chronicles, CoD: Advanced Warfare, Watch_Dogs, Final Fantasy X), and It's Shit (Ride to Hell: Retribution, Deus Ex: The Fall, Aliens: Colonial Marines).

Games that are Great are modern classics that no one should miss; these are the very best games that we have to offer. Games that are good stand head and shoulders above their competition, and are games that any self-respecting gamer should play. Games that are meh... aren't necessarily bad games, they are just badly flawed in some way or have limited appeal. And games that are Shit are self-explanatory.

I say this because there isn't a game I've played that I can't criticize in some way. No 10/10s in my game collection, but there are still games I think that everyone, gamers and non-gamers alike, should play.

A perfect score should be exactly that: perfect. Giving a perfect score to something that isn't perfect defeats the point of having that rating.
Not gonna disagree with you outright, but I generally accept that a "perfect game" will have flaws but so few and insignifigant and easily outshone by the positive. My two examples...for example, collecting things in ACII was lame, and well, Pok?mon Black and White created the -worst- pokemon ever, Trubbish. But every pokemon game has dumb pokemon (Mr.Mime, Shuckle, Nosepass, lots of them, Trubbish, Klefki) so one or two aweful ones are bound to happen. But Id still give them an otherwise perfect rating if I was in such a position.
trubish is a pretty horrid design but considering the fact that most of the rest made one of the most well designed generations ever (on an aesthetic level). technical perfection is impossible on a purely imperical level and there will allways be someone who don't like even the most acclaimed games. for example i find the last of us to be kind of meh. to me "perfect game" means a game so good that any flaw it may have seems completely irrellevant. for me that would be skyrim. on a technical level it is quite shallow compared to previous TES games but i tried oblivion and while it was certinly deeper it failed to immerse me, in part because of technical depth that was to my mind unnecessary to make a greatly atmospheric and engrossing experience

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
Games that are 10/10 for all intents and purposes:

Little King's Story: An impressive game with plenty of challenge, subtle themes, exciting action and lots of variety. There are a few annoyances, but nothing significant.
Mario: Most games would be absolutely perfect if not for those fucking Toads, the most annoying, retarded characters in gaming. This series is otherwise a masterpiece.
Metal Gear Solid, except for number 2: There are some annoying parts and the last third of the last game is disappointing, but everything until that last part of that game is virtually perfect, with careful design, complex programming, very strange cutscenes and lots of fun. I think the ending of number 2 is perfect, but the rest is boring.
Jet Set Radio: The controls and hit detection are a little problematic, but otherwise the game is ideal: An unique, incredibly fun trip through a strange, surreal city.
Chrono Trigger and Final fantasy 7: Classic RPGs that present surreal worlds in near perfect fashion. They are just as riveting today as they were at the time.
Prince of Persia series: A game series so awesome that it manages to make survival horror-style controls in the early games seem good, overcome annoying button mashing sequences in the later games, and manage to be nearly perfect.

True perfection:

Tetris: The definitive puzzle game, so simple yet infinitely replayable, never becoming tedious. This is perfection.
Bionic Commando and Rearmed: Swinging around on a grappling hook is so exhilarating, and the games are so perfectly designed, with great level design, challenge and endings. Rearmed has an annoying button mashing sequences, but is otherwise just as perfect.
Zelda 2: Best game in the series and one of my favorites. A perfect update to the classic gameplay of Zelda, with every moment elegantly designed with the care of a master. Truly a grandmaster of games.
Truxton 2: Fast, challenging shooter with a rocking soundtrack and lots of colorful enemies.
Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac: Merciless indie games that are quite satisfying to beat.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Games I consider 10/10 eh? Well, I don't presume 10/10 means the game is perfect but that it has reached a level of achievement that at the time could be considered the pinnacle of what could be created. I do think there are perfect games but a game can be imperfect and still be 10/10. A perfect game to me is one which the addition or subtraction of anything major would only serve to make the game worse.

NES:

Tetris - This is one of the games I consider to be perfect. You could not add nor subtract anything from the game and make it a better experience when it was released.

SMB3: Not a perfect game but it was the perfect distillation of the SMB formula, a formula that was itself triumphant.

Final Fantasy 2/4 and 3/6: Both games polished their mechanics while putting story at the forefront, like any great RPG. I would consider 6 a possibly perfect game; one could argue that the random encounter formula could be improved by the point at which 6 came out. (I know 6 was on SNES)

Megaman 2: The inclusion of new elements that built on the formula from Megaman 1 along with one of the greatest soundtracks ever put to a video game earns Megaman 2 a 10/10 for me.

SNES/Genesis:

Legend of Zelda 3: The perfect distillation of the action RPG game at that time. It was massive, engaging, challenging, visually and musically triumphant.

Super Metroid: While I am always tempted to put Metroid as 10/10 there are a few things about the original that hamper it, like events to help mark your real progress through the world. Super Metroid fixed this problem by having some astounding mini boss fights. All the original had was Ridley and Kraid.

Chrono Trigger: Another RPG that I would consider perfect.

Castlevania 4: IMO best Castlevania ever made, though it doesn't have a speech about what comprises a man.

Super Mario RPG: Yes, I really like this genre, hence so many inclusions but Super Mario RPG is damned near perfect.

Streetfight 2: Blank Edition: The game that basically single-handedly created the tournament fighter scene.

Playstation/Gamecube:

Silenthill: How do you get a 10/10? Be one of the best games ever made in your genre and make the drawbacks of your platform strengths instead of weaknesses.

Twisted Metal 2: Action racing battle arena fighter with a silly premise to match the crazy game play. When a game is better than the next 3 iterations of itself, you've outdone yourself.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Took the amazing formula put forth in Ogre Battle and combined it with a compelling (if poorly localized) final fantasy story. This is the second best Final Fantasy game IMO.

A dirty pile of secrets: Amazing game that evolved the Castlevania format, though I still consider it second to IV because of how easy it was to overlevel yourself and defeat the difficulty curve. I won't hold its Resident Evil level of voice acting against it.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Pure fighting game enthusiasts may hate this but SSB:M is by far the most fun and entertaining (though not balanced) fighting game ever made.

PS2:

Psychonauts - One of those unique games that's so good people who paid 0 attention to it when it came out talk about it with a nostalgic gleam. Not like me, I'm totally OG here.

Soulcalibur 2: It beats the pants off of Tekken, Virtua Fighter and any other 3d fighter I ever played. Music, mechanics, characters, and the frame story all work together to create an amazing fighting game that surpassed anything else I played to that point. Tekken fans can fight me over this.

GTA Vice City: It's being considered for the video game hall of fame for a reason. Or was that GTA III? Eitehr way, Vice City is better than III.

Shadow of the Colossus: Another game few played but everyone remembers fondly. The word for this game is "striking" in every detail.

SSX Tricky: First "racing" game on my list but my favorite "racing" game of all time. There was no part of this game I didn't enjoy and there was a reason everyone and their sister walked around singing It's Tricky.

Silent Hill 2: Silent Hill 2 built on what made silent hill 1 great.

That's enough for now I think. I'll finish my list later!

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
I gotta say Dark Cloud 2 or Dark Chronicle for them Europeans. If you don't know, let me tell you:

*Randomly generated dungeons with each dungeon set having a theme
*sim city style city generation
*time travel based story
*invention system
*giant robot fighting
*RPG elements
*lots of the old school collectibles
*dual weapon combat and multiple playable characters

It's pretty grand. It's not turn based, it's all actiony and you can go from melee to ranged attacks pretty nicely. It's not the greatest story ever but it's a really fun game and I just love playing it so it's got my 10/10.

Have some sources:
http://www.gamespot.com/dark-cloud-2/
http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/21/10806718/dark-cloud-2-ps4-overview-gameplay

Apparently it's on the PS4 now? This is glorious news.

Second best (as in the second game that I consider one of the best) is Castlevania Symphony of the Night

*ACTION RPG
*SPOOPY SKELETONS
*you play as --- who is actually the --- of ---
*Large layout with various weapons and equipment
*inspired a whole genre of games all of which I consider grand

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I have yet to encounter a "10 out of 10" game. As others have said, there's always room for some type of improvement.

Even with truly awesome games, I've come away thinking "Man! That would have been completely amazing if it weren't for..."

But, games that came close for me are those that I still get a ton of enjoyment out of after successive replays. Games like:

Diablo II - Hopelessly addictive game that's fun to play in a fantasy setting that's a blast to visit.

Assassin's Creed II - Took the genre-busting ideas of its predecessor, ramped them up, improved the gameplay and added a compelling story with a fun protagonist.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Simple but challenging game mechanics, great story and characters and breathtaking graphics (for its day)

Elder Scroll:Oblivion - This is the closest thing to the pen and paper RPGs of my youth. There are almost an unlimited variety of ways to play.

Fallout: New Vegas - As with the newer Elder Scrolls games, it's just a great role playing game. I've played it three times and never approached a quest the same way twice.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (Firaxis/Atari 2004 version) - The fact that it's a string of mini-games strung together makes it east to create your own narrative while playing it.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Arina Love said:
B-Cell said:
Arina Love said:
Metal Gear Solid 4
never played it my friend but im pretty sure it cant be worse than MGS5. that is the most boring and repetetive game i have played. so much potential that wasted.
MGS 5 betrays everything good about MGS, in my opinion. Instead of interesting locations/levels they put in a absolutely boring open word x2 full of emptiness. They absolutely destroyed cinematic feel and the story delivery MGS is known for. Got rid of awesome boss fights , new crazy characters and talkative Snake. I play and love MGS for a story, batsh*t crazy characters and it's cinematic feel. As a long time fan of the series i never wanted open world MGS...especially if it's done like MGS5.....bleh...
Ah, MGSV.

Never have I played a game with such potential, nor one so contradictory. I genuinely believe that that game could've been one of the greatest ever, as it stands, it's probably the weakest Metal Gear for me. Yet I've put 120 hours into it and counting. Mechanically it's damn near-perfect, yet it gets boring. The story is excellent, yet it's barely there and unfinished. The characters are terrific, yet underdeveloped and underused. The game itself is polished and detailed to an unnerving level, yet it's incomplete and feels rushed. I honestly don't think I could give that game a rating, as no rating feels correct.

That said, Ground Zeroes was terrific overall.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to pick Tetris.

Super Metroid
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

That is about all I can think of.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Games I consider 10/10, I will put one per franchise if there is more than one:
Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow and Metroid: Zero Mission - Metroidvania on a portable game with mechanics deep enough for the few ammount of buttons, it definitely blew me away.
To The Moon - Do I have to say anything?
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Yes, I know it has flaws (handholding, the graphics that aren't as timeless as other Zeldas) but it simply works for me the atmosphere that's not trying to be angsty or needlessly dark, yet it remains loyal to the style.
Top Gear - I am Brazillian, and this game is the childhood of many here, a SNES game with Pit Stop is just realistic enough and the multiplayer is just so good.
Captain Claw - A game not many people know because of the developers weren't well known at the time (here's a hint, they recently made Shadows of Mordor), it's action platforming at its finest.
Chibi-Robo! - Yet another underrated GameCube game with good gameplay, great story and characters as intersting to match.

That's the ones at the top of my head, there are many others.

SixMaJin

Oct 8, 2014
Viewtiful Joe. Beautiful cel-shaded fighting chaos, almost impossible to understand just by watching, clever and satisfying fighting mechanics, which make the most of the 2-dimensional room, and it is the only game ever that made me quit on normal and restart on easy. I simply couldn't get beyond the very first miniboss. Besides being in love with the game, i would argument that it objectively has the most creative and unique 2d fighting mechanics ever.

Killer 7. Since this is essentially a favorite games compilation, and since i haven't seen it being mentioned earlier, i take the chance to make a point for this flawed and ingenious masterpiece. Suda51s first and best game in my opinion.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I define a 10/10 as a game that is one of my personal favorites, and a game that I would not change anything about, or cannot point to a single, glaring flaw. I'm also only choosing games that are at least a few years old, as much as I want to put Undertale on here. Starting with ones that may not already be on a thousand lists already:

Yume Nikki - It's almost difficult to call it a game, but I'm going to include it. Horror in general is hard, as different things are scary to different people. For me, I loathe much of the horror genre, especially when applied to video games. I also have vivid dreams, making it an especially impactful game for me, and the only story/game that actually managed to scare or horrify me on some deep level. I don't want to say too much about it for those that wish to play it (it is free), but my opinion may also be influenced by the fact that I triggered a certain event without really trying to.

Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio) - Unique, innovative, and fun most of all, it has a vision for what it wants to be and executes pretty much flawlessly. It's uncompromising, challenging, but keeping things fun, while also having interesting subtexts about self-expression, taking out military helicopters and dodging police bullets all by tagging. I also don't know if another video game's soundtrack has ever been built around trip-hop.

Seiken Densetsu 3 - Way ahead of its time and the epitome of its series, it uses a real-time battle system along with non-linear paths and stories. The characters are all unique and interesting, and the story is good enough to keep you interested. Only a shame it's never gotten a proper western release.

Megaman Legends/64 - I'm sure this selection will anger some Megaman purists. Legends/64 was never really Megaman, but that's primarily why I loved it. I kept trying to come up with criticisms or ways to push it off the list, but I couldn't think of any. It was a free-roam adventure game with graphics that still hold up mostly today, with expressive faces a great character designs. It's quite memorable, sure you remember the big action set-pieces, but also the small side quests, of which there are plenty. It doesn't skimp on the challenge, either, even if it's not as hard as its more "pure" siblings.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (first three?) - Since the first three games are bundled as one on the iPad app store, I'm going to count them as one. If I had to choose just one, it would likely be the first one, but to be honest I wouldn't change anything about any of them. Blending the visual novel and adventure game formats seamlessly and effectively, while maintaining a cast of characters that manage to be consistently fun, interesting, and memorable. I was considering putting it in the "almost" column due to the localization team trying to pretend it is in Los Angeles, but I'm not sure if it's totally fair to penalize it over that.

Chrono Trigger - Venturing into more familiar territory, it's hard to think of a linear jRPG that has this much replayability and lovability. A near-perfect execution of the time-traveling story trope, a delightfully Japanese mashup of different character designs, tech styles, and universe to explore.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - The ubiquity of OOT on best-ever lists has seemed to lead to a backlash of those who say it is overrated, A Link to the Past or Majora's Mask was better, etc. While the rest of the series is undoubtedly solid, OOT holds up on all levels. I enjoy it as much today as I did when I was a wee one, and I could also appreciate the emotional turns in the story just as much. I simply can't say the same with some of the other entries, save for maybe TWW, which was unfortunately rushed.

Pokemon X/Y - I have always liked Pokemon, but I have always lamented the fact that such a great game series could never get a true console-quality adaptation. I realize that is part of the charm, for some, but it seems the potential has been hampered by it. Well, unlike its predecessors, X/Y seemed to be the perfect compromise, a handheld game that also looks and feels more like a console game from my youth. From a pure gameplay standpoint, it is amazing how Pokemon is able to rehash the same formula every game but still somehow feel new, fresh, and improved-upon.

Portal 2 - Some might consider it sacrilege to put Portal 2 on here without Portal was its length and Portal 2 fixed that problem while also greatly improving on the overall formula.

For this section, I'll focus on some that just missed and give a short explanation as to why. Some Close Calls:
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - The graphics simply don't hold up. Even in their day, character models looked muddy, and even the cars looked flat and boring, in most cases. Introduced a cool car customization feature, but made it extremely difficult to actually hold on to modded cars.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - I have a number of small gripes, but the biggest is likely the use of the dice roll system that made it a bit more clunky than it really needed to be.

Recettear: An Item's Shop's Tale - As much as I want to give this a 10, I could never get into adventurers who were not Louis.

Fallout: New Vegas - Somewhat buggy/clunky even years later, no improvements to the fairly crappy character models, among other small gripes. Not all Obsidian's fault, but it does take from the experience.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
B-Cell said:
Stalker Shadow of chernoboyl - The most atmospheric, immersive experience and was truley unique and innovative game at that time. it was released at the time when FPS games getting stale. Zone is perfect universe. sadly sequel cancelled because of company problem. now GSC is active we might expect sequel.
<spoiler=Get out of here stalker>Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker Get out of here stalker

Ahem.

As much as I loved STALKER:SoC it was and is far too bug laden to have been perfect for me. Although some of the bugs were priceless (a Pseudogiant falling from space into the middle of the Freedom compound). In gameplay and atmostphere terms it was damn near perfect, it just fell over drunk a little too often, rather like Strelok actually.

Anway, my personal list of 'perfect' games in roughly chronological order.
Doom
Starfox 64
Super Mario 64
Mech Commander
Metal Gear Solid
Starcraft: Brood War
Mechwarrior 3
Perfect Dark
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Metroid Prime
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Gran Turismo 4
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Battlefield 2: Deluxe Edition
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Mass Effect
Metro 2033
Brothers, a tale of two sons

Not that's I'm saying any of them are objectively perfect. But they're all games I've played dozens of hours (thousands in some cases) that I wouldn't change given the option to.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Games that, to me, are perfect to me in every single way when they first came out. Note that I'm not including every game I felt was great. For it to be a 10/10 for me, it needs to succeed completely in every major category I can think of.

Unreal Tournament
Mechwarrior 3
The Talos Principle
Neverwinter Nights
Doom 95
Riven
World of Warcraft Classic (Before ANY expansions... OK, maybe Burning Crusade.)
Portal 2
Minecraft
-
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (You can talk about Majora's Mask all you want, but MM built off the foundation that OoT built.)
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Super Smash Bros. 64
-
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
-
Metroid Prime
-
Metal Gear Solid
-
Halo: CE
Ninja Gaiden Black
Mercenaries
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
-
Project M
-
Forza Motorsport 4
Halo 3
-
Forza Motorsport 6

Sooooo tempted to put Undertale on this list. But as much as I want to, it wasn't a complete 10/10 due to the annoying ass bullet hell combat.

fix-the-spade said:
Mechwarrior 3
OMG you remember that game too? :D

RedDeadFred said:
Skyrim -Yeah I know I just said that The Witcher 3 puts it to shame, but there's one thing Skyrim has over it, and that's an incredible modding community. I loved Skyrim without mods back when I played it on my 360, and even then, I probably would have considered it a 10/10. However, with mods, it allows the game to still stand up to my standards today. For roleplaying purposes, the only game that I'd consider to be better is Warband.
A lot of people like to talk about how bad Skyrim's quests are characters are supposedly but the thing is, well... Just watch the Skyrim part of this video. It tells you exactly why it's like that. There's actually an amazing method behind Bethesda's madness

https://youtu.be/Fo2iIwYbFO8?t=1m20s

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I can't think of many. My personal top three favorite games ever, though, might qualify, so Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy X-2, and Undertale have my votes.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
RedDeadFred said:
Skyrim -Yeah I know I just said that The Witcher 3 puts it to shame, but there's one thing Skyrim has over it, and that's an incredible modding community. I loved Skyrim without mods back when I played it on my 360, and even then, I probably would have considered it a 10/10. However, with mods, it allows the game to still stand up to my standards today. For roleplaying purposes, the only game that I'd consider to be better is Warband.
A lot of people like to talk about how bad Skyrim's quests are characters are supposedly but the thing is, well... Just watch the Skyrim part of this video. It tells you exactly why it's like that. There's actually an amazing method behind Bethesda's madness

https://youtu.be/Fo2iIwYbFO8?t=1m20s
Makes a lot of sense. While I did always consider the stories and characters to be rather shallow, that never actually mattered to me. They're set up in a way that you could be ANYONE making those ineractions. Hence why I consider it one of the best sandbox games. You can be fully immersed in YOUR character, not the character that the devs constructed for you. I think that's part of why there was a lot of backlash towards the voiced protagonist in Fallout 4.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Makes a lot of sense. While I did always consider the stories and characters to be rather shallow, that never actually mattered to me. They're set up in a way that you could be ANYONE making those ineractions. Hence why I consider it one of the best sandbox games. You can be fully immersed in YOUR character, not the character that the devs constructed for you. I think that's part of why there was a lot of backlash towards the voiced protagonist in Fallout 4.
Exactly. And that's obviously not to say story-based RPG's are inherently worse or better than Skyrim's gameplay/player-based approach, but that there's more than enough room for both. I loved the story of Dragon Age: Origins and the characters in it. But I love Skyrim's gameplay and its focus on ME as the player as well. What I want to do instead of what the story demands I do.

I also love how, in the PC version of Skyrim, with just one command in the console or the ini, you can make Skyrim even more choice-based.

[GamePlay]
bEssentialTakeNoDamage=0

or put this in the console to turn it off just temporarily,

setini "bEssentialTakeNoDamage:GamePlay" 0

And boom, ALL NPCs can now die, quest lines be damned. That is, assuming you don't mind breaking quest lines. It's really funny that with just this one command, Skyrim opens up even more.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
RedDeadFred said:
Exactly. And that's obviously not to say story-based RPG's are inherently worse or better than Skyrim's gameplay/player-based approach, but that there's more than enough room for both. I loved the story of Dragon Age: Origins and the characters in it. But I love Skyrim's gameplay and its focus on ME as the player as well. What I want to do instead of what the story demands I do.

I also love how, in the PC version of Skyrim, with just one command in the console or the ini, you can make Skyrim even more choice-based.

[GamePlay]
bEssentialTakeNoDamage=0

or put this in the console to turn it off just temporarily,

setini "bEssentialTakeNoDamage:GamePlay" 0

And boom, ALL NPCs can now die, quest lines be damned. That is, assuming you don't mind breaking quest lines. It's really funny that with just this one command, Skyrim opens up even more.
I may or may not have used this to murder Delphine and Esbern. I did not take kindly to them asking me to kill Paarthurnax. I later got the mod that let me to tell them off.