Games you consider overrated

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Something being overrated doesn't exist. It isn't a thing. You don't say that other peoples opinion are wrong.
krazykidd said:
Bioshock . I mean really , people talk about story and atmosphere . I just don't see it , i must not be hipster enough ( yeah i went there).
Yes, you are if you are calling something overrated. Using the word "Overrated" means you're in fact being a hipster.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Beyond Good & Evil. Before you get out your pitchforks and whatnot, let me say that I did like the game, just not as much as everyone else. All the talk about how BG&E is amazing and deserves a sequel got me to buy it. I played it maybe 60-80% through, I'm not sure, and stopped, because:
1) I don't like sneaking
2) The combat was pretty easy
3) I didn't care for the story
As I said, the game isn't bad. It's just that I don't think it's as godly as so many say it is.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
GTA San Andreas and IV
Halo series (How much that I like CE, 2, ODST and Reach, i still think that)
Half Life 2 (It's a great shooter which i actually played dozen of times but still)
CoD (after 2 minus BlOps)

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
To me it's Skyward Sword, never been more frustrated playing a Zelda game in my life, motion controls are from hell.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Modern Warfare 2: I played the PS3 campaign from start to finish on my brothers PS3 and oh dear god whats up with that difficulty curve. The favela level was the hardest level of the entire game in my opinion

Maplestory: Loads of people still like it but I will gladly smack the shit out of simply because the god-awful community in it are a bunch of mugs

Vindictus EU: Played it quite a bit then just decided to stop playing because of how bored I was after 15 minutes.

Sonic Generations: Good for a sonic game. Not good by any other standards. Music was nice though

Saints Row 2: The pc version ran incredibly badly on my PC and this thing can handle it perfectly well.
So yeah pc ports :<

Oh and of course I have to put this game on my list: Mabinogi. Mabinogi you fucking waste of time. Your gameplay is awful. Seriously Nexon, I would like you guys never to try this sort of combat system again.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Hm. I've got a bunch. Here goes:

GTA4: the vehicles are terribly unresponsive and Niko walks like a tank. Any kind of immersion or social satire the game would like me to think it has are lost underneath my trying to *operate* this clunky mess. Slap me GTA4 in my Xbox, give me a controller and voilà, you'll get me to comment on how I'm starting to feel like a forklift operator or some other joystick-wielding heavy machinery guy.

The Need for Speed series: yep, all of them. Rubberbanding AI wrapped up in increasing amounts of Homie G nonsense, then followed with a Dude-Bro aesthetic, then followed with the neutrality of the pro racing circuit. Even with cheats up the wazoo, I had the hardest time imaginable keeping my meager point-five seconds into second place. These aren't games, they're torture devices.

The Witcher 1 & 2: poorly optimized games that get unreal amounts of praise because they're not dull btown and have at least *some* level of soul and investment placed in the combat system. Otherwise? Yeah, Geralt of Rivia moves like a tank, and it feels like the only true purpose of the two games is to indulge in fan service.

If I want tits, I'll go buy a Playboy. I came here looking for a character I could somewhat identify with and what do I get? Some guy with an implausible haircut and the most droning voice imaginable.

Everything by ExoSyphen Studios: they make text-based hacking sims that come as close to the real deal as humanly possible - but this involves you developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome thanks to the utterly inhuman speeds you have to reach in order to get anything done. If you can't type so fast that your word processor's buffer can't keep up, don't bother playing anything like Hacker Evolution.

Modern Warfare in general: oh, look. Another military sim that glorifies the US, paints the UK forces out to be only good at sneaking around, and sets its sights on some sort of Middle-Eastern and/or Russian EEEEEVIL. How very contemporary. Good job, Activision, you've made yet another bland franchise turn even blander.

To be fair, though, I hate military shooters in general. It just feels like pointless historical dick-stroking to me. Especially when you consider that when and if the whole Modern Warfare psychosis will end, what will we see produced again? WORLD WAR II SHOOTERS, OF COURSE! Because we need to be constantly reminded that we were the good guys and that the Nazis were evil! Yes, always and forever!

The last two Final Fantasy titles: oh, wow. Here comes another round of implausibly-dressed not-Japanese supermodel people with contrived plots, murky philosophical discourses and the most cluttered interface I've ever seen. I just can't wrap my head around Paradigm shifts and battles that play out on their own. Not to mention that they're basically corridor-crawlers disguised with a lot of purdy lights.

Plus - *motherfucking* Vanille. When will the Japs understand that girly girls do *not* appeal to everyone?!

I know, I know. Misplaced fury and all that, but it's my opinion.

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
None.

I've never liked the term "overrated" or "underrated" as it is used with media. To me, it says that someone is wrong for liking or not liking something because you or I do or don't see the appeal. I will bash something for a day and a half straight if I hate it, but I'm never going to tell someone they are wrong for not liking something.

What are some games that I don't like that are popular?

Metal Gear Solid: I've played every entry in the main series to fruition with the exception of 4 ( couldn't take it anymore and turned it off), and I just can't stomach Hideo Kojima's love affair with exposition. There's complete narrative/gameplay breaks, and the story and gameplay are convoluted and extremely unfriendly.

Call of Duty: Black Ops onward: I just find the games to be a total slog. I enjoyed Call of Duty 4 (not as much as other people did), but afterward everything just became tedious for me to play. I stopped playing after Modern Warefar 2's terrible storyline.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
You know what? No. I had previously written what I thought was overrated, But after reading other post and thinking about it I've changed my mind. I really do hate the word overrated, It pretty means getting upset because others really liked something. Can you dislike Skyrim? Sure. Go right ahead. But please, don't act superior because you have a different opinion. Meaning, please do not scream that everyone who adored skyrim is a "raving fanboy." Whether or not you enjoyed skyrim (I'm just using it as an example, works with pretty much any other game) does not somehow make you better than everyone else intellectually.

I really hate the term fanboy now to think of it. I have to agree with moviebob. Calling some one a fanboy is once again degrading and insulting someone simply because they enjoyed something.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Halo 3 and on, I don't think they're bad by any stretch of the word, on a good day I might even say I ENJOY Halo 3, but good god they're just so average.

Ocarina of Time STOP, WAIT, LISTEN, I love this game, easily in my top 10 of all time, but, listening to fellow fans go on, and on, and on, and on about this game as if it's some kind of gift directly form the hands of God get kinda irritating after 15 fucking years.

GTA4: Same thing as above, love the game, hate the tidal wave of overhyped praise it constantly gets.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Not sure if this was mentioned but Saint's Row the Third.

I was very disappointed in this game. The single player aspect had missions that were not as fun as the 2nd or first.

The music selection was poor. I really wanted to see some good oldies like you hear in Saint's row 2.

It is a fun game for the most part, just not up to the awesomeness of 2 from my perspective.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
All halo games, all dragon age games, all calls of dutie, the list goes on and on.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
There are quite a few, really, but the ones that come to mind first are:

Call of Duty - I mean, really? The best selling game franchise in history? That's just depressing.

Mass Effect - Might just be me, but I've always found the game-play to be a bit clunky and the narrative a bit pedantic.

Skyrim - I understand people wanting to like it, what with it being something different in a sea of rehashes and shooters that flooded the industry the past year or so, but come on people. This game is literally a mostly empty sandbox built on an engine seemingly designed to create bugs. Remember when we used to complain and despise games that were filled to the brim with game-breaking bugs instead of praising them as if they're some shining beacon of perfect game design?

Zydrate said:
Halo. I enjoyed the first, had some fun with ODST.

They're enjoyable, but not sure why they're so well regarded in their fandom.
Oh wow. Someone else who actually has the same opinion of the Halo series as I do. That's actually more rare than you think.

I loved Halo: CE as well as ODST. Both had their flaws, but they mixed things up and brought something interesting to the table. (not to mention having better stories that the others) But, 2, 3, and Reach were just underwhelming at best and down right mediocre at worst.

I also liked Wars. I know a lot of gamers bemoan the game because "hurr durr you can't do RTS on console". No, you can't do great RTS games on a console. But Halo Wars is about as close to a good RTS game you'll ever get on a console.

daveman247 said:
EDIT: Oh, and minecraft. Its cool you can build stuff but i just dont like playing aimless games... What do you do once you have finished your safe fortress of doom?
You realize you're playing the wrong game and go load up Terraria, spawn a goblin army, Snow Legion, blood moon, or one of the many bosses, and have WAY more fun than you ever will with Minecraft.

Just sayin'.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Imbechile said:
Don Savik said:
xSKULLY said:
all retro games the escapist community makes them out to be amazing and better than todays games and perfect in every way and they are shit as a younger gamer used to higher standard games (my first console was a PS2) retro games are terrible and many times worse than games of today
Yea, I think its called like The Golden Age Syndrome or something.
Care to explain how I think the older Fallouts are better that Fallout 3 despite playing Fallout 3 FIRST?
Care to explain how I think System shock 2 is better than Bioshock despite playing Bioshock FIRST?
Care to explain how I think Daggerfall is better than Skyrim despite playing Skyrim FIRST?
Care to explain how I think Planescape Torment has better writing then all the Bioware drivel despite playing the Bioware drivel FIRST?

You can keep yourself in denial with the whole "rose tinted nostalgic glasses" thing as much you like, but there is no denying that games are getting shorter and shallower.

PS: Try not to use the "well that's just your opinion" argument, nor the "many people don't agree with you".
"Try not to use the "well that's just your opinion" argument"?

That's like saying "Explain to me why drinking and driving is bad without using the argument it will cause you to crash your car and injure/kill multiple people." That IS the reason you enjoyed those games, because you enjoyed those early games more than others. What, am I suppose to say that you enjoy the early games because an alien spacecraft warped your mind into liking them?

I mean, I think your main problem is that your expecting the newer games to be good for the same reasons the older games are. Fallout 3 and the old fallouts are COMPLETELY different gameplay wise, you can't just blindly compare them. The old fallouts did somethings better than fallout 3, but fallout 3 did somethings better than the older fallouts (IMO). It's the exact same thing with System shock vs. Bioshock. They both did different things well. As for the daggerfall vs. skyrim, I have no Idea why you liked daggerfall better, as apparently I'm not allowed to say that you just like it more. And planescape was masterly crafted and written, probably the best writing in gaming to this day, it's better than games from it's time and present day. Just because it has better writing then bioware games doesn't mean that bioware games have bad writing. That's all I'm going to say.

LK9988

Jan 3, 2011
These aren't really greatly "overrated" games, but these two games seem to be enjoyed by a lot of people, and I just can't really get engrossed in them.

Saints Row the Third: A lot of my friends seem to praise this game as the most quirky and fun sandbox game this generation, although I personally do not think much of it. One of the game's main premises is to simply mess around and cause havoc and mayhem for little reason excluding your own entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I often love messing around in games, but most instances in which I get a rush from messing around in a game is caused by the fact that I'm not going by the objectives of the game, and I'm creating my own means of entertainment. Because of this, when Saints Row the Third gives me a load of crazy weapons and taunts and tells me to mess around to my heart's content, I get bored fairly quickly.

Battlefield 3: To be completely honest, I don't really see how this game excels so much over the recent installments of the Call of Duty franchise, as many of the game's fans seem to claim in my experience. Although I consider it to be superior over the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare titles, I just think of Battlefield 3 as another modern military shooter, with an average online multiplayer component and a lackluster single player campaign.