Games You Didn't Expect to Be Good

iastreb93

Jul 21, 2011
I expected Bastion to be an interesting game.

It turned out a contender for GotY in my book. I was kind of shocked by this. I didn't expect it to be THAT good.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Blacksite Area 51, Clive Barker's Jericho, Timeshift, Dune 2000, Kane and Lynch 1, Dark Sector, Alpha Protocol.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Last time I was at Play-N-Trade I picked up Batman Returns on the SNES on a whim. Tried before I purchased and was surprised by it. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was like a babies-first beat-em-up on Batman Returns on easy is freakin' difficult! Made it to the last level but Catwoman takes several lives to knock out on her own. Next play-through I should make it to the last boss...hopefully. It took me too many lives to figure out Penguin's routine.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Dues Ex - not Human revolution (also very good - but I expected it to be) the original. I bought it on impulse as a youngster because the blurb sounded interesting being a mix of FPS and RPG, but I expected it might not work very well. Had my mind blown.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Fable:TLC for me. I honestly bought it just for the hell of it. Now it's one of my favorites.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
nothing really comes to mind, but i can think of two games i thought i'd hate but ended up loving. Minecraft, because i have about all the creative ability of a gnat, and Team Fortess 2 because i hate online shooters because i'm mostly terrible at them, although it turned out that i wasn't to bad at this one.

Shotgang

Jan 21, 2011
Kingdom Hearts. I was expecting to give a friend of mine an uppercut when he suggested me the game and told me what was about.

Then I played it and totally loved it. Some much that I enjoy the first one more than the so gloryfied sequel.

Another game that this happened to me was with Red Dead Redemption. I played other western games like Gun and Red Dead Revolver and I was expecting something like that, not a game that completely absorved me 3 months straight.

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box was another game that sucked me in. When you look at the clock and say "DAMN! IT WAS 22:00 a moment ago, no way it's already 4 of the morning!"

And finally, Demon's Souls. At first I was a little skeptical if I was going to enjoy that game, when I noticed that I was completely in love with it.

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
Minecraft, Dead Island, Mirror's Edge and Red Faction Guerilla
Minecraft was kinda interresting but i couldn't see how it would be all that good.
Dead Island was always a 'meh' in my book till my friend and i thought it was a good oppurtunity for some coop.
Mirrors Edge since it was kinda like minecraft in that i couldn't see how this could be interresting
and Red Faction since i've always simply overlooked the game.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
The first Modern Warfare. CoD had been old and stagnant for years before it came out, so I never expected to totally fall in love with it, but I did.

Of course, the series is old and stagnant again now.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Years ago, I played the demo of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. I was bored and in between games, so I thought a generic RTS might keep me amused for a bit. Well, it was amazing. The combination of heavy WH:40k fluff and solid gameplay made it a keeper. If you haven't tried it put it on your list.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
Sion_Barzahd said:
theres 2-3 .hack animes, a 4 part game series, a series of novels and a series of graphic novels.
The first .hack game series was mediocre, the anime is boring, the graphic novels were terrible, and I don't want to read the novels. The GU series was an anomoly of goodness in an otherwise mediocre franchise

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Richard Horvitz made the game more "Invadery" with his Zim voice, too.
I saw him in an interview video once...I think that's actually his real normal voice.

For me I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles. I read a review of it in ONM, saying how good it was, and how it's the best JRPG of the decade. Picked it up, partly to spite America and give it a try. Thought I'd have my usual syndrome of enjoying the concepts but getting bored because the story points are so far between. I expected it to be good for JRPG fans, but not for me. But I thought it was great. Haven't finished it yet. Knowing at most points where the next story element is is nice. But I actually think JRPG purists may hate it for having no consequence for death.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Fenra said:
I picked up "Jurassic Park Operation Genesis" for £5 thinking "Looks bad but its only a fiver... ah why not! Should distract me for 5 mins or be worth a laugh if its crap", ended up really enjoying it and sinking a lot of time in it.

Sure its flawed but did a decent job of simulating running a "real" Jurassic Park, was laid back enough to relax with and just challenging enough to avoid boredom, particularily once you get to higher stages and get all the toys to play with, jeeps, balloons etc.

Plus just watching your dinosaurs wander about doing thier business is strangely charming.
Dammit ninja'd! On that of all things.

The helicopter shooting was unbelievably fun, the amount of times I 'accidentally' let my dinosaurs go on a rampage....

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
I didn't really expect Alpha Protocol to be any good, having heard that it was bugged beyond repair and generally unplayable. I played through it three times before moving on to another game, and that was only so that I wouldn't get sick of it right away. Damn good fun, hope that Obsidian gets around to making a sequel, however unlikely that might be.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Another vote for Minecraft

remember when minecraft.net had that rollercoaster-video on the main page? I honestly thought it was just some sort of mining simulator with a big focus on minecarts. The name doesn't help and neither did the fact that the second vid I ever saw was some guys building a giant penis.

It took months and a youtuber I like to show me what Minecraft is really like. o_O

(why yes, captcha, it was a Brit.)

VargRaev

May 13, 2009
Arcana Heart 3, A 2D fighter i bougth, mainly because i thougth the characters looked cute, turned out to be an Awesome game.

Also, Disgaea 3, for roughly the same reason ^^