Games You Didn't Expect to Be Good

the spud

May 2, 2011
Chrono Trigger. It was the first RPG I ever really played, so I didn't think I would like it very much. It blew my freakin' mind. It is currently my second favorite game ever.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Alpha protocol , i bought it at a futur shop because the price was wrong , it was 9 $ instead of 29$ . Anyways i bought it and didn't play it right away , it just sat there . Then one day months later , i decided to try and i loved it . The first game in years that i played gwice back to back.

Rule of Cool

Sep 15, 2011
Nier. I picked it up on a whim, wanting something half-decent and cheap (it was pre-owned) that'd last me till Deus Ex came out. I've enjoyed it and played it much more then Deus Ex, which is also a very fun game.

luvva

Mar 28, 2011
black ops, interestingly- I thought 'how on earth can people get so immersed from shooting at each other?'. The I played my first CoD, and now i'll be getting MW3.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
back in early 2010 my friends asked me to get Oblivion because they said it was $15 and extremely fun. When i got to gamestop looking on the back I said "This doesn't look to good" And hour later I was glad I bought it, seriously one of the best games ever and didn't hear about it till 2010!

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Defense Grid: The awakening
I'm not much of a fan of tower defense, and I got it in the potato sack, but the game turned out to be awesome

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
GoldenRaz said:
I didn't really expect Alpha Protocol to be any good, having heard that it was bugged beyond repair and generally unplayable. I played through it three times before moving on to another game, and that was only so that I wouldn't get sick of it right away. Damn good fun, hope that Obsidian gets around to making a sequel, however unlikely that might be.
I don't have a link but I remember reading that Alpha Protocol had REALLY underperformed sales wise and that they wouldn't make a sequel.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Vanquish. I went in expecting a pretty shitty b-movie type game to kill a few hours, and came out with a surprisingly funny, purposely camp little gem that completely dug a hole under the radar.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
Fenra said:
I picked up "Jurassic Park Operation Genesis" for £5 thinking "Looks bad but its only a fiver... ah why not! Should distract me for 5 mins or be worth a laugh if its crap", ended up really enjoying it and sinking a lot of time in it.

Sure its flawed but did a decent job of simulating running a "real" Jurassic Park, was laid back enough to relax with and just challenging enough to avoid boredom, particularily once you get to higher stages and get all the toys to play with, jeeps, balloons etc.

Plus just watching your dinosaurs wander about doing thier business is strangely charming.
OMFG, I thought I was the only one who loved that game xD I didn't buy it myself cuz I was a kid at the time, so I didn't choose games based on the reviews, I bought it based on whether it sounded/looked cool or not. Well, needless to say, I got that game, and loved it. It was roller coaster tycoon if it was awesome and had dinosaurs.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't expect Prince of Persia (2008) to be that good, but I actually really liked it.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
Luke3184 said:
Fenra said:
I picked up "Jurassic Park Operation Genesis" for £5 thinking "Looks bad but its only a fiver... ah why not! Should distract me for 5 mins or be worth a laugh if its crap", ended up really enjoying it and sinking a lot of time in it.

Sure its flawed but did a decent job of simulating running a "real" Jurassic Park, was laid back enough to relax with and just challenging enough to avoid boredom, particularily once you get to higher stages and get all the toys to play with, jeeps, balloons etc.

Plus just watching your dinosaurs wander about doing thier business is strangely charming.
Dammit ninja'd! On that of all things.

The helicopter shooting was unbelievably fun, the amount of times I 'accidentally' let my dinosaurs go on a rampage....
Lol, one time, I let all my carnivores out during a rainstorm and when I tried to get in the helicopter to tranq them, I found out you can't fly in the rain and my t-rex ate all my customers xD

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Fallout 3, been playing 1 and 2 for years but considering the massive change in gameplay and stuff i wasnt sure, but i was happily proved wrong
Oh and spiderman 2 and scarface the world is yours, possibly the only 2 games based off films that were worth anything as far as im aware

Bran1470

Feb 24, 2010
Dead island
I though it was just going to be a dead rising clone.

oh and Heavy Rain...
I thought it was just going to be one long movie but when i actually played it it absolutely blew my mind.

Mar 28, 2011
Fallout 3, funnily enough. It looked like another first/third person shooter with rpg elements and an aesthetic that didn't really resonate with me at the time.

Now i own all the fallout games, a bobblehead, a special edition Brotherhood of Steel statue and all the DLC so far (except for the New Vegas stuff, as i'm waiting for a disc collection of the lot. No idea when/if it's even coming out, but i live in hope.)

Sam Cohen

Mar 22, 2011
I saw my friend playing Bulletstorm and I thought, yeah its alright. But it would get pretty repetitive.

I've now beaten it about 4-5 times. Brilliant game. Really took me by surprise, and I recommend it to anyone that loves the pure fun of kicking people into cacti and removing their faces with your foot.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2.

Before I bought this game, I was unaware of the Shin Megami Tensei series/brand and it's connection to the Persona series. I picked this game up on a whim because I was going through a game dry spell and thought that this would keep me busy until the next big release title.

I couldn't stop playing this game, even when I bought two new games for the PS3. I had to finish Devil Summoner 2 first, but I had fun doing so.