Games you didn't want to play because of the main protagonist

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
This is going to be something of a strange one, but StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm.

This is especially strange because the Zerg are by far my favorite race, but I HATE Kerrigan, and the idea of playing an enormous campaign where she is the primary focus of basically the whole thing was almost too much for me.

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
They're not a game in their own right, but I never played any of the dungeon crawler map things on Minecraft because I just thought it seemed somewhat off that Steve would do that stuff. Like, it's fine for him to build the most complex redstone crap ever (I've made calculators for him before) but I decided that if I was going to play actual storylines, I wanted an actual character. Then I downloaded a Batman skin. Problem solved! There's nothing quite like playing the Dark Knight in a series of platformers, especially with one of those cape mods. :)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
No such thing as normal, you're fine.

Besides games with terrible dialogue, I haven't come across this myself though some of the later JRPG designs look stupidly schizophrenic.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Bioshock Infinite, Infamous, Uncharted series, Prototype 1 & 2, Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear Series, Nier (western version).

Just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are tonnes of others. These are ones I've avoided due to strong feelings of apathy or disdain generated by the main character alone. Sometimes just on sight.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Far Cry 3 became this for me. I still ended up finishing it, thanks to the game finally letting me acquire all weapons and skills, opening up the full map, and giving me the glorious...
wingsuit and disguise outfit.

However, I did seriously almost quit the game outright due to Jason Brody becoming an unforgivable douche who did not believably and naturally develop into the horrible character that he wound up becoming.
After Citra rapes him and Brody embraces it rather than ripping her apart, then proceeds to abandon his friends entirely after having been a complete and unnecessary ass to his supposed girlfriend
I just could not stand him anymore, let alone want to play as him. Seriously, I wanted Brody to die from then on out more than even the villain who spent the whole game wrecking my life and those that I supposedly cared for. Die Jason Brody. Just fucking die.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Crysis 2 and 3. Same character, right? I can't even remember, that's how shitty those games and the protagonist were. I rolled my eyes every time Prophet started talking about himself and how heavy his burden was, or some pretentious nonsense like that.

Most JRPGs. Seems most of the time like they are ticking off a checklist of what will make me like him/her instead of just making a character.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
I don't think so.

I liked Raiden.

I liked Nero.

I don't think Nathan Drake is insufferable.

Marcus Fenix may be a pretty generic gruff grim growly guy, but Gears of War was never exactly Star Trek.

Master Chief doesn't really have any personality (at least in the games) but that never really took away from the narrative.

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of an instance where the protagonist made me reluctant to buy a game...
Said everything I was about to say.

OT: I'd say JRPG games because I just can't get into them. Though honestly its more to do with the genre than the protagonists. The tropes, the writing, the style, the often poor localization. That is why, but those things can have an impact on the protagonist too.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Tidus from Final Fantasy X, he really put me off the game, I only played and finished the game last year because of this. Shame really, his character was the only one that I didn't like as the others fine apart from Aurron who was just amazing. If they Aurron had as the main charter I probably wouldn't have left it for so long

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I fucking hate the protagonist in Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Dragon Age Origins. There are more, but I'm not gonna list them here. They're always so annoying and full of shit. And they talk too much, they think they're funny when they're not and they're ugly.

But I liked Fenix, Alan Wake and Raiden. I've never not played a game because of the protagonist.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Zhukov said:
The Batman Arkham games.

I played them, but Batman himself is easily the least enjoyable aspect of them.

Try cracking a fucking smile once in a while you miserable, joyless, gormless, constipated, uninteresting, zero-dimensional prat.
Are you sure you know who Batman is...? He's supposed to be like that.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Snowblindblitz said:
Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

His name is Edge Maverick.

And that should tell you how fucking stupid the cast in that game is. My wife played, and the battles are fun, the game mechanics engaging, but that whole cast can jump off a cliff. Whoever wrote them is a terrible.
I actually did manage to plow through that game and yes the entire cast can go jump off a cliff. Esp. Faize.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I cringed a fair bit while playing the early .hack//GU games. Haseo is a thoroughly unlikeable asshole (although her mercifully mellows out as his character develops) and it made me want to reach into the game and punch him from time to time.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
ninjaRiv said:
Zhukov said:
The Batman Arkham games.

Try cracking a fucking smile once in a while you miserable, joyless, gormless, constipated, uninteresting, zero-dimensional prat.
Are you sure you know who Batman is...? He's supposed to be like that.
Doesn't make him any more compelling, really.

Well...compelling is the wrong word to use, as an 'unlikeable' protagonist can still be compelling (or an essentially neutral protagonist, if done correctly a la James Sunderland); I suppose relatable is what I'm saying here. Especially after such a long and storied history. But I've never really 'got' superheroes and comics n' stuff. And I like Raiden, so discount my opinion further.

Also, is there no chance of us ever seeing a Bob Kane swashbuckling 'Gee Whizz!' 60's Batman game?

I know at this point it'd probably be predictable; but considering that Lego Batman was relatively badly-received, the gap is there!

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Kratos. What a prick! He was barely bearable in GoW 1... GoW3 really tested my patience. The game was fun though.

Zhukov said:
The Batman Arkham games.

Yes! Agree! He's such an ass... Never a thank-you, always ignore people who wants to help him, shrug them off with his "I could have handled it". No character development at all throughout the two games.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Metal Gear Rising. I got tricked into playing Raiden once before. I'm not playing as that androgynous douchebag again thank you very much.
That's a shame, because you're missing out on a solid action game. They really turned his character around.

He's kind of a badass now.

OT: I don't think I've ever stopped playing a game, let alone not start one, due to the protagonist. I'll try anything once. That being said, Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite didn't add to my enjoyment of the game at all. He's not the reason I stopped playing it, but his monotone demeanor certainly didn't help.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
not speaking for myself but I know there's a bunch of people that didn't play DMC because the protagonist wasn't emo Dante and sales chart show that people won't play a game if the protagonist is female

so people can say the protagonist doesn't matter all they want at the end of the day numbers don't lie