Games you didn't want to play because of the main protagonist

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I have a few:

GTA: San Andreas. I don't dig the whole gang culture thing, although this was probably more an issue with parts of the story than the main character. I only played the game because a friend brought it over when they stayed the night.

Gears of War 3. Meatbag Fenix and the Muscle Patrol were dull characters. I probably would have played the game if the main character was literally a walking pile of meat rather than a walking pile of meat with a frown.

MGS: Rerising Rerevengeance Rewahateverit'scalled. Raiden.

Uncharted series. Lara Croft sans boobage and an appetite for murdering goons. Do not want. Ironically Tomb Raider 2013 turned out to be similar, but with boobs (and lovely hair).

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
DSK- said:
I would have to say Dragon Age 2. I know I keep bashing the game, but the truth was I really couldn't identify with Hawke up intil a quarter of the way through. I dunno, it just felt rather wierd, especially when I was forced to make certain decisions and I couldn't do what I wanted specifically - which hurt somewhat because I tend to play games 'as myself', if you know what I mean.

Otherwise, I'd have to say that I won't buy or play FarCry 3 because of the protagonist.
I agree with you on Dragon Age 2. Even with me picking more or less what Hawke was supposed to say she ended up seeming like a sarcastic, insincere douchebag.

OT: Gears of War. There is nothing appealing about giant macho ham sandwiches growling incomprehensibly, unless it's a Stallone movie.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
bug_of_war said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
Half life, what a prat that Gordon Freeman is :p

Just kidding
I'm not. For the similar reasons as to why some people don't like Marcus Fenix, I don't like Gordon Freeman because I don't like who he is. How is it that a scientist is able to kill not just inter dimensional monsters, but trained militia as well. I just don't get it...

Didn't like the protagonist from Far Cry 3 either, he was just a hipster on a drug induced mission and I would have much preferred to have played as his brother.
Fair comment but the joke was that I didn't like him for his personality because being a silent first person character his personality was MINE :p

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
In my experience I only know what/who the protagonist is after I have already bought/played the game so I have never had this happen to me.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Woodsey said:
Fox12 said:
I'm more worried about David Cage than I am about Ellen Paige. He's not a good writer, which is bad when the whole crux of your game is the story.
I'm still not sure if it's funny or horrifying that a man who so plainly cannot write considers himself some messianic figure out to save mainstream gaming, and that the press is so willingly sucked in by it.

Yes, it would be nice if mainstream gaming was more than just shooty-shooty. No, you don't have to suck the dick off of the first dude to say that just because he's got a budget.
He's an insufferable sexist prat. There are LOTS of games which are not shooty (the irony is beyond two souls IS A SHOOTER), there are whole genres which have nothing to do with Call of Duty, RPGs, Platformers, puzzle games, Simshitty, the Sims and that's just off the top of my head, LIMBO, JOURNEY (ok will stop now) so why support someone whos head is so far up his ass that he thinks graphics are more important than STORY, who can't see that a game like "Tomas was alone" about a group of rectangles has more "emotion" than any of his shitty games will ever have

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Well, I'd never drop or avoid a game just because of the main character. To me, that seems a little petty, I don't let any ONE THING prevent me from playing a game. Well, if the game does one thing exceptionally bad, I'd want to drop it but whenever I start a game I have to finish it. And I might drop a game if the main character was seriously sexist or racist or any other branch of bigot.
Anyway.
These things said, I really didn't like Connor in Assassin's Creed III. Dude needs to take a serious chill pill sometimes.
And while new Dante isn't as bad as people keep saying he is, I still admit he's inferior to old Dante by a mile.
Let it be known, I do like those games, it's just that the characters are a little meh.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
FFXII... Vaan. I played the opening, thinking I'd get to play as this one dude... then I get stuck with Vaan and Penelo. Same reason I ditched FFXIII, Hope didn't live up to his name. they should have called him Annoying Jackass, or just named both him and Snow that and called it a day.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
God of War. I haven't played any of them personally, but I have seen my brother playing bits of 3, and holy mother of fucking Christ I cannot overstate just how much I despise Kratos just based on what little I've seen. I have no intention of ever touching those games either, I seriously just hate Kratos that fucking much.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I honestly could not tolerate Nathan Drake. He was so smug and he acted like he was clever, but I knew high school bullies who were more clever than he was. I would have minded this less if the other characters told him to shut up now and then, like any basic human would, but no, his friends and enemies alike respond to him like he's making cutting jibes worthy of William Shakespeare.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
BakaSmurf said:
God of War. I haven't played any of them personally, but I have seen my brother playing bits of 3, and holy mother of fucking Christ I cannot overstate just how much I despise Kratos just based on what little I've seen. I have no intention of ever touching those games either, I seriously just hate Kratos that fucking much.
He worked the first one, mainly because the game treated him like a monster. Everybody hated him, treating him with fear and open disgust. The only reason he was picked for the job at all was because he was the only person in the whole world who was insane enough and had the kind of overpowering rage to defeat Ares. He was a mad dog that the gods had let off the leash and aimed in the general direction of something they needed destroyed. It was kind of refreshing actually, to see a a video game be open about the fact that you're playing a remorseless killer with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

After the first one though, they tried to play him off like he'd been betrayed, even though he'd done nothing to show he had in any way changed and was in fact doing the same kind of horrible damage to the world as the bastard he spent the entire first game trying to stop. It undermined everything that made the first game good.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Wenseph said:
RPGs that let you customize your character's appearance, but you can only play as a male. >_> Any of the newer final fantasy games. I played the tenth, and that's enough for me. I also tend to favour any game that has a female protagonist, like tomb raider, bayonetta and similar. I haven't gotten around to trying Remember Me yet, but I was kind of looking forward to it, until it didn't get the greatest reviews.
Thus far it's interesting, but the camera doesn't like you. Like, Tomb Raider games doesn't like you. But only when you have to do the climby climby jumpy bits. The game also isn't terribly fond of telling you what buttons do what (at least for the PC version). I've only just gotten passed the "0" chapter though. I do like Nillin so far, although she seems to be recovering and dealing with the whole "no memories" thing absurdly well...

OT: I am less likely to pick up a game if there's a male protagonist. Because male protagonists tend to be... pretty samey and boring in a LOT of media :/ The only exception really was the Assassin's Creed games but that's because when the first one was being advertised it looked SO COOL.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Most of the games I play have a bit of a "blank slate" approach to characters (especially RPGs or games with RPG-features), so their behaviour, personality etc. aren't really fixed anyway. I can't really think of a game where that wasn't the case and I hated the protagonist, especially not so much that I didn't want to play the game. Maybe I'm not playing the "right" games for that. Or I just don't remember. Yeah, that might be it.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Anthony Corrigan said:

Just kidding
Actually I agree with this before the mandatory "jk."

Now it could have been that by the time half-life came out, I was a teenager and spent more time chasing girls and less time playing video games, or it could have been that Gordon Freeman reminded me of all my elitist nerd friends at the time; the kind of people who would play everquest, go on about how smart they were, and then criticize you for hanging out with any other people they felt were not worthy.

So, I've never talked to my nerdy school friends since graduating back in 2000, and I've never played half life anything either.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Tales of the Abyss. I can put up with bad characters because I finished Tales of Graces f, but Graces f is also way more fun gameplay-wise and don't have a nightmarish number of points-of-no-return where you can miss things. But yeah, I got to the part where Luke does his personality 180 after being a selfish turd up until that point AND I HATED HIM MORE. ALWAYS WITH THE EMO WHINING. Absolutely terrible. I never want to play as such a whiny, defeatist character ever again. I suppose that's why I like Skies of Arcadia so much; No one in SoA ever gets mopey and depressed about anything.

I was vaguely interested in Time and Eternity but 1. the game looks terrible in motion and 2. despite having a female protagonist, she's so bland in design and *of course* her game revolves around her interrupted marriage. Generally NIS games kind of tick me off with their writing and gimmicky characters.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I had to think for a while till this post reminded me:

SageRuffin said:
Oh, that's an easy one: The Witcher series.

The games probably are the bees knees, but I don't wanna play as Geralt for several reasons (of which I'll spare you all of them). As such, I've never looked at the games past a simple glance.
Geralt is pretty much the main reason I wrote off trying the Witcher series. I have other issues with the series as well, but Geralt is just unbearable.

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
Tales of Symphonia 2. Emil was just such a turd, I couldnt finish it, well I pretty much did considering that game on hard mode is still easier than falling asleep at your daughter's ballet recital that's coming up this sunday, don't forget. I stopped when I got all the old chars and learned that you cant level them up because it was too much work for the devs or something.

Another one I just couldn't do was Sonic something. It was in 3d. Oh dear god that voice, I can stand the hard as hell only way to know there wass a trap there is to die first gameplay but that voice. "You're to slooowww", "Step it up!", "Get your game on" wait that last one is from something worse, but still SEGA should have just left that thing alone and not given it a personality.

Army of two. I played this one with friends, but 200 sensual parachute rides in and those two where just army of too boring. They had no peronality so it was the shitty writing and code writing that did us in. *Run into a base get surrounded* "It looks like they were expecting us", *Land on an aircraft carrier* "there are a lot of jets here!". >.<

I beat this one, but only because we were making fun of it all the way through: Gears of War (3 specifically). "Dom I need your emotional support over here!"

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think I've ever allowed a singular aspect to completely turn me off a game on its own. I mean, I can get through a good game with shitty characters; I'll just make fun of them along the way.

xDarc said:
Anthony Corrigan said:

Just kidding
Actually I agree with this before the mandatory "jk."

Now it could have been that by the time half-life came out, I was a teenager and spent more time chasing girls and less time playing video games, or it could have been that Gordon Freeman reminded me of all my elitist nerd friends at the time; the kind of people who would play everquest, go on about how smart they were, and then criticize you for hanging out with any other people they felt were not worthy.

So, I've never talked to my nerdy school friends since graduating back in 2000, and I've never played half life anything either.
Gordon Freeman is a player surrogate even more so than Link and most RPG protagonists are. He has literally NO vocalizations or visual representation in the games whatsoever.

That's the joke.
NeoShinGundam said:
I simply can't give the Jak and Daxter games a try.
Your loss.

Pandabearparade said:
It's hard to tell sometimes. Moviebob says things that ridiculously stupid without a hint of irony.