Games you feel that only you played

VidyaDawg

Sep 22, 2014
What game comes to mind?

Personally, for me, it is the Dino Crisis series. Back in the day when Resident Evil and Silent Hill were super popular, this series was also running alongside them. RE had zombies. SH has all sorts of creatures. Dino Crisis had, well, dinosaurs, and it was great. A lot of people were turned off by it because it seemed like an RE knockoff, and it sort of was. They even promoted RE3 with a demo in the original launch of DC1. That didn't stop CAPCOM from, maybe accidentally, creating one of their finer series.

In my personal opinion, the tank controls that made these kind of games play the way they did were perfected in the Dino Crisis series and never matched again. They also made that transition with DC1-DC2 from survival horror to action before RE and did it just as well. It has a bit of a cult following, but it honestly does not get enough praise. Dino Crisis 1 was the 2nd best survival horror game (behind SH2) and Dino Crisis 2 is one of the best action games the PS1 had to offer. Let's ignore DC3 like we do RE6, alright?

Anybody else play it?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I didn't play DC simply because I just couldn't get into the concept at all.

For me, it's Trap Gunner on the PSX. Such an amazing game and a near perfect evolution of the Bomber Man formula. I honestly feel that if Trap Gunner came out today as an online play enabled downloadable title it would totally be a mega-hit that everyone would play. But instead it just sits nearly unknown and largely unremembered in the history of gaming.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Can you really call it a 'knockoff' when it was made by the same developer?

Anyway, funnily enough I have played both DC1 and 2 but none of the RE games. DC1 was pretty fun but the puzzles were annoying. DC2 however, with its transition to full on action, was a ton of fun to play. The pre-rendered backgrounds were beautiful and atmospheric, the weapons were mostly satisfying to use, and the gameplay and enemies were varied enough that was never boring (though the underwater section, as per usual, was annoying).

And let's not forget that music.

VidyaDawg

Sep 22, 2014
ChupathingyX said:
though the underwater section, as per usual, was annoying
This actually stops me from replaying it sometimes. Those fucking underwater alligator pricks.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I played Dino Crisis and I greatly enjoyed it.

As to the question at hand, one of the "Cool concept but lacking execution" games that I played as a lad was

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi-Ops:_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy]

It was a fun game that gave you psychic powers! It was always fun to grab that one guard and just UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN like a psychotic little kid playing with his action figures!

It wasn't a great game execution-wise but damn if it wasn't fun.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Only one that comes to mind is the Geneforge series from Spiderware. Very much a retro game with some completely BS deaths in places, but not all that bad.

The game is mostly about finding your way around the areas, sometimes through stealth, sneaking, or speech, but more often than not by fighting. You get 3 classes to chose from in the first game, but they add 3 more starting in game 4. Most of the game's story is told through dialogue, a necessity since the graphics are almost non-existent, but what's there is a pretty interesting power struggle between the Shapers, their creations, and human rebels, each with their own motivations and reasons for fighting, plus the ability to help any of the three.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I'm terrible at remembering names when asked to.

One game do come to mind actually. Project Eden.
At the time, for me, a very unique game where you controlled a party of 4 (i think) with different abilities.
You started out together but got separated along the current map based on your powers.
If you were a hacker you could open doors to let others through their section to advance and so forth.
Sometimes some got together again for a while, if only to be able to take down a larger force of mobs.
It also had multiplayer with real cooperation. You couldn't advance at all if everyone didn't do their thing.

Hmm..anything else..I have to think about it.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Nobody ever mentions Summoner, but I liked it. Never finished it, but I liked it. Picked it up from some now-vanished game shop for 50p the other day, having not seen or heard of it for years, and started playing it again - and then I find out it's on Steam now!
And this isn't quite relevant, but I had no idea how many people had played/ liked Kingdom Hearts before I started visiting gaming forums and stuff. No idea why, I just assumed it wouldn't have been that popular when I was first playing it 12 years ago (bloody hell).

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
I often wonder why Regina isn't talked about more often, especially with today's focus on female characters in gaming. She had a sardonic sense of humor, wore armor over her entire body, and is seemingly unfazed by the most blatantly lethal situations. She would obliterate Lara Croft.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Superbrothers: The Sword and Sworcery EP. It's a cute little fantasy game that looks like an Amiga game and sounds like Pink Floyd did the soundtrack. I love it and despite my trying haven't been able to convince anyone else to play it. And I've yet to meet anyone else who knows it exists.

I used to mention Kentucky Route Zero on these lists but Extra Credits did a James Recommends video on it, so at least I know someone else has played it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Not really, I'd have to go back to the ps1 for that.

I do remember a game called tiny tank. It was about... A tiny tank. You basically explored environments, navigated obstacles, and blew up robots. I was quite the fan.

I'll always remember a little title called Forsaken. I don't think I ever got very far, and I didn't quite "get" it, but it probably had the coolest cover art and title I'd ever seen. I don't know if the cover and title even had anything to do with the story, if there was one, but it was pretty cool. Kind of looked like a rock cover, now that I think of it.

I played beast wars as a kid. It seemed pretty difficult and I died a lot, but it was pretty cool for the time. If a team member died, they were gone for good, unless you went on a rescue mission. If you lost everyone then it was game over. I've never met anyone whose even heard of this. I was you g, though, so it could be a cheap tie in game and I wouldn't remember.

When everyone was into Pokemon, I was into digimon. The digimon world games had their flaws, but I always liked the world. It felt more wild, dangerous, and adventurous then Pokemon ever did. It always made me want to go on an adventure as a kid. Man, I miss the 90s.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
I have two games in mind that I literally never hear anyone else mention (one of them I can completely understand why because it kinda sucked.)

The first is Rascal for the Playstation. It was a pretty good looking platformer (for its time at least.) But the camera sucked and the controls were bad. You used a bubble gun as your weapon. The levels looked cool at least.

The other game was Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits for the Playstation 2. It was a tactical RPG with a combat system that I loved. It was bit like fire emblem, but not exactly. Look up some gameplay for it some time. As for the story, it wasn't anything to write home about, but it was fun all together.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Section 8: Prejudice. It was a great shooter, but the MP was never really populated, and now it's basically dead.

Outside of a few friends, I don't know anyone who played it, much less enjoyed it.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Stunt GP, by TEAM17 (the guys who made worms). It's an RC car racing game on the PC, Dreamcast and PS2. I own it for both PC and PS2.

It's not that good, but the stunts are fun to pull off and you have to manage the car's battery power while racing, which can be refilled by performing tricks or using the recharge lane at the start/finish line. You can also use a turbo boost which makes your car go faster but depletes your battery faster.

On the other hand, the driving physics are... special, I actually made a video a while ago for this game that shows off both the cool aspects of the game and the sometimes faulty driving physics.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Sundog: Frozen Legacy. Yes, it existed, dangit. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunDog:_Frozen_Legacy]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Baffle said:
Also, Syphon Filter. Just doesn't get talked about.
Syphon Filter was amazing. That opening level is still one of my favorites ever.

And the air taser is the best weapon ever.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I feel like i'm the only human being to have ever played Drawn to Life on the DS....
yeah it's not very good, but boy was it fun to hand draw the MC.

I'm also not seeing a lot of people on this site talking about how great Bayonetta 2 is, so I feel trapped on an island. Yeah yeah, WiiU blah blah blah, money, blah blah, who cares. This game is my personal game of the year and more of you people must touch it... even if it's just the demo.