Games you hate that everybody else seems to love.

HalfChance

Apr 5, 2011
Do you have a game that you just can't stand or just don't get? Yet it seems that every critic and man on the street has an accident in their trousers just talking about it

If so let us know what it is.

For me it's Portal, I could never really find anything I liked about it, Even the "humour" didn't really appeal to me.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Red Dead Redemption: lets play a series of mini games over and over where the mini games in question require you to do nothing more than press A to win. Yay!

Painkiller: Physics so bad you'll die from stepping on a box. Sucky AI. Flow breaking collectable elements. Lack of weaponry. Crap menus system. Crap story. Just overall a glorifed turd with no redeaming qualities.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
I don't hate it, but I've always been kind of lukewarm about Bioware games. I've played most of the way through Mass Effect, most of the way through KOTOR, and a bit of Dragon Age. They're okay, but they don't draw me in enough for me to want to finish them. I've been meaning to go back and play through the Mass Effect series, but don't really have time.

EDIT: Also Sonic the Hedgehog. People always claim the old one is amazing, but I found it underwhelming.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Djinn8 said:
Red Dead Redemption: lets play a series of mini games over and over where the mini games in question require you to do nothing more than press A to win. Yay!
Umm I'm pretty sure you don't shoot with "A". Anyways, most of the minigames are avoidable unless you are going after outfits.

OT: Definitely all of the Halo games. Didn't impress me at all. Just another sci-fi shooter...

HalfChance

Apr 5, 2011
kane.malakos said:
I don't hate it, but I've always been kind of lukewarm about Bioware games. I've played most of the way through Mass Effect, most of the way through KOTOR, and a bit of Dragon Age. They're okay, but they don't draw me in enough for me to want to finish them. I've been meaning to go back and play through the Mass Effect series, but don't really have time.
Gonna have to agree with you there, I really enjoyed KotOR but I think that had more to do with the "Oh my god it's Star Wars" factor than anything else. Mass Effect I found to be very repetitive and Dragon Age was just dull.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Half Life. Good story, but guilty of every sin of bad 90s FPS design - clumsy platforming sections that are usually lethal if you miss one jump; enemies that either barely scratch you or chop off half your health in one second flat; environmental hazards that will kill you ten times more often than any actual enemy will.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I don't hate them, but I find Bioware games to be boring and I am surprised people like Bioware as much as they do. I've tried to play through Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins several times now, but every single time I end up quitting due to boredom.

But I have to say, the Dragon Age 2 demo was fun. I'm not prepared to shell out cash on another Bioware product quite yet though.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Halo, I find them average at best, but they were treated as though they were the best games ever when they came out.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I wouldnt say I hated it, but I guess I never "got" Portal. Sure it was a nice time sink for a few hours, but in my eyes its not worth the unconditional admiration it recieves.

Mooko12

Apr 17, 2010
Call of Duty 4- I never found it any different then any of the newer ones

Mass Effect 2- I don't hate it but it really never was that fun to me

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Call of duty

Before you lot go and say that a lot of people hate it (definitely here) I will remind you that we are technially in the minority, as It wouldn't be one of the most sold games if everybody hated it.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Final Fantasy, kinda. I don't get as excited about them, although you could replace "Final Fantasy" with every other turn based combat game

Also Tomb Raider. Massively, I hated those games.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
You actually hate portal? You hate it? It's not that you dislike it, but you HATE it? Hate is a strong word.

Can't think of any game I actually hate.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
HalfChance said:
Do you have a game that you just can't stand or just don't get? Yet it seems that every critic and man on the street has an accident in their trousers just talking about it

For me it's Portal, I could never really find anything I liked about it, Even the "humour" didn't really appeal to me.

Same, portal. Also HL2 and the episodes.

CoD

Halo

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
dragon age origins:

full of glitches, a silent protagonist, all the characters have the same bodies (old woman with supermodel breasts? i dont think so) the armor would clip through the characters, weapons would float off your back... the list goes on, and it can be summed up by saying that mass effect 2 came out that same year, and its obvious where the talent went to work.

yes it was a good game, and i did enjoy it at times, but its really isnt that good. in fact, i'd say its the worst bioware game i've ever played (before its sequel came out). but with all the hate for dragon age 2, i feel like people are looking back on the first game through some heavy nostalgic glasses, despite it being less than 2 years old.

also, im not a fan of half life, i just played the orange box recently and was not impressed with the 3 half life games on it (yes yes, i know that the episodes are dlc). ya the physics were nice, but at times they didnt make any sense. and i honestly didnt care when something emotional happened (no spoilers). and i feel that, in this day and age, gordan needs an actor, seriously

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
I didn't like Section 8 one bit, even with the novel idea of dropping down onto the map. Although all the reviews gave it sevens and eights.

Sosabowski

Apr 20, 2009
Call of Duty:Black Ops.
I don't give a shit if you like it. Its an abortion of a game that rests squarely on the laurels of previous titles without giving anything back in the way of innovation or variety. Shoddy game play and limited and lazy map design online makes this title little more than a beige paste spoon fed to the masses.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
HalfChance said:

Ditto.

Well, I don't think I would say I dislike Portal but I just never played it and nothing appeals to me about it to begin playing it.

Same goes for Half Life.