Games you know are Awful, but you remember something about them fondly

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
Pretty much every Mobile Suit Gundam game ever. Zeonic Front might just make the cut as "not terrible" but all others are just awful.

I had a blast with Federation vs. Zeon if just for the space combat of hiding in space debris and hacking Federation mobile suits to death with my zaku.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
llew said:
ape escape, it was SO BAD control wise but so brilliant
Really? I think that it was actually rather good control wise, it was my favorite game on the Playstation 1 when I was little, and still holds that place today. Although I haven't played it in awhile...

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Two games that are bad in a lot of ways, but I've built a nostalgia raft around them since they were the only ones I had for a time when I was a kid.

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun: Got this after trying Red Alert on a friends computer, and I LOVED it. I still get shivers when I think about the sound of a Banshee taking off, or tunneling into the enemy base with 4 engineers and a cyborg commando. The actual gameplay is slow as hell though, and the game's generally pretty unbalanced. But oh, sweet nostalgia. Killer soundtrack too!

And Oni. Boy did I love Oni. I still hold that it has great gameplay - really tight 3D martial arts combat, haven't seen anyone match it. A lot of fun weapons too. The environments were really boring though, and a lot of the game just felt uninspired. Still, it's a game that I occasionally have to reinstall (all 500 megabytes of it :p). When I read that it was designed with multiplayer arena combat and vehicles that never saw the light of day, a little part of me dies.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
A game called Dreamkiller [http://store.steampowered.com/app/24500/]. While it's not terrible, there isn't anything good about it. However, for me it was my first "Free Weekend" game on Steam and I found it to be entertaining for the short while it was available to everybody.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Fable 2 had a great soundtrack. The music from that series is actually my preferred choice when reading The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Kingdom Hearts II. Really, the times with that game were like shameless quickies with some female co-worker who's actually less attractive than your wife who just gives you simple satisfacttion rather than spiritual completeness. In this case, the wife is Kingdom Hearts. I just remember mashing all the way through it, loving it, rembering that I then remembered nothing about the game except the spectacular ending stuff (and god damn that music), and then it slowly dawning on me how bad it actually was.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Spritemaster said:
llew said:
ape escape, it was SO BAD control wise but so brilliant
Really? I think that it was actually rather good control wise, it was my favorite game on the Playstation 1 when I was little, and still holds that place today. Although I haven't played it in awhile...
Yeah dude, Ape Escape is fuckin' solid. That's a classic right there.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
A recent one, Ninety-Nine Nights. The game has no play value whatsoever, but I can't help but really like the soundtrack.
Does that not count?

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Jade Empire. I really liked the ideas behind a lot of the game design - who doesn't want to play a game set in steampunk ghost-infested pseudo-China?
What was wrong with the Actual game? Just curious because I've been thinking of buying it on Steam.

OP: Mine would be GTA:San Andreas, because let's face it; The campaign sucked, the missions were frustrating, and basic game was kind of boring. But once you popped some of the Cheat Codes in, Oh It got really fun. I still remember my Flying Tank battle with Swat helicopters, but without cheat codes the game was pretty "Meh" and fairly boring.

(EDIT)Also Dante's Inferno - Most people hate it, but I really like the boss fights and The Design/Style of the game, I also didn't terribly mind the Levels themselves, with minor hiccups here and there. Admittedly I have a hard time defending it against most people's complaints...I kind of acknowledge it's not as Great as I think it is, if That makes any sense

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Mall Tycoon. That game is said to be such utter crap, yet it's fun. At least for me.

Also, it looks like crap. Not that I ever mind that.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. It was my first gaming purchase as a kid and my first TR game, and I loved it. It's only now that I realize it had poor controls, it was completely rushed and unfinished, and it's probably the buggiest game I've played to date.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
CobraX said:
Kahunaburger said:
Jade Empire. I really liked the ideas behind a lot of the game design - who doesn't want to play a game set in steampunk ghost-infested pseudo-China?
What was wrong with the Actual game? Just curious because I've been thinking of buying it on Steam.
The writing isn't that great, and the combat is basically broken by your ability to endlessly stun-lock enemies. If you're looking for a Bioware game from that era, KOTOR is apparently pretty good.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
malestrithe said:
A Boy and His Blob. The 1989 version the game was a giant mess. The first part of the game was a confusing mess of location that was saved only because of the length of time needed for puzzle solving. When you get to Blobonia, it was too easy for words. I figured it out before I got the episode of Nintendo Power that told me how do to do it.
Dude, same. I was really enjoying myself when I played the new version, heard about the old one, checked it out, and was astounded that a good game came out of that mess.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
RustlessPotato said:
I used to have a StarWars fighting game on the old playstation 1. (do not underestimate the power of the PLAYSTATION!). It was like tekken, but with star wars characters. And it kicked some major ass.
MASTERS OF TERAS KASI!! LOVED that game. I could never pull off some of the super-combos though. But my cousin and I played the hell out of that game back in the day.

OT: Star Wars Battle for Naboo on 64. I didn't think it was terrible at the time, as I got to fly around in a spaceship and blow stuff up. But the game did a lot of cheap (in my mind) things to make it hard. At least it was for me. But I still enjoyed it.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Requiem: Avenging Angel -- first-person shooter that came out right after the first Half-Life meant that every reviewer bitched and moaned about the game not being Half-Life... thank Christ for that since I don't think I could stand another game with a half-hour tram ride to work.

Anyway, R:AA was a perfectly forgettable shooter with meh level design and a couple of wacky game-breaking bugs, but what it had was the ability to turn your enemies into pillars of salt... or you could just possess them and make them murder all their friends, because you're an angel and that's apparently what angels do.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
TheKruzdawg said:
RustlessPotato said:
I used to have a StarWars fighting game on the old playstation 1. (do not underestimate the power of the PLAYSTATION!). It was like tekken, but with star wars characters. And it kicked some major ass.
MASTERS OF TERAS KASI!! LOVED that game. I could never pull off some of the super-combos though. But my cousin and I played the hell out of that game back in the day.

OT: Star Wars Battle for Naboo on 64. I didn't think it was terrible at the time, as I got to fly around in a spaceship and blow stuff up. But the game did a lot of cheap (in my mind) things to make it hard. At least it was for me. But I still enjoyed it.
Haha, the supercombo's were hard. I did manage to pull some of them off. Too bad my place got broken in at the time and they stole some stuff, including my first ps1 and games. Even though I bought a new ps1 at the time, I never manage to find a new copy of that game :(.

OT Being that i'm slighty drunk atm, that means that nostalgia is sure to kick in. I do remember Team Buddies ! That was an awesome game xD. Gaming has been such an integral part of me that every nostalgic moment I have is my brother and I gaming while still both being under 10 xD

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Advent Rising. First play through I enjoyed it. Tried to recapture the magic on the second play through. Crap.