Games you like but still think are a little overrated.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
WorldCritic said:
Halo, Final Fantasy VII, every game made by Valve. I would like to politely ask people not to flame me for that last one.
That's what I was thinking. Yeah, Half-Life blew my socks off when I first played it, but I could never finish it because Valve sucks at level design. Every game they've put out since has been just as bad (that I've played anyway, maybe TF2 has good level design).

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Portal,Physconauts,FF6,Persona 3 and Tales of Symphonia.All awesome in there own way but all a bit over hyped to one degree or another.

mannsporte

Feb 1, 2010
I've never been that into Resident Evil no matter how much I loved survival horror games... Cheap scares and stupid dialog have always kept me from immersing myself in...(Jill sandwich!)

Also as much as I respect Quake and Doom series as an old timer, I've always though the games were a bit overrated by the meaningles enthusiasm of severed limbs. They were atmospheric yes, but ripping through hordes of evil...things and not even pausing for a mili-second till the end of a level seemed a little overwhelming for me...Those were the times for intense shooters I guess.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Everyone on the Escapist who makes threads following a usual pattern, such as when one makes a great thread with some value and asks a question, we have about 30 more popping up within the month that make slight variations of said question...I hate those games.

Also, everyone who plays the game of "Everything, in a way, is overrated." I understand that inorder to get the achievement of '36 months posts' you sometimes cut corners, but c'mon! Stop cheating.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Mass Effect 2. I like the game, but it didn't deserve any of the RPG of the Year awards that sites threw at it. I thought it was a TPS with the option to be Good/Neutral/Bad. This is, of course, my opinion. To each their own.
This. It should have been classified as a TPS.
But also because it is regarded as one of the greatest games ever, and I just found it good.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
The Halo series, and the MGS series. Both have some solid gameplay, but both have flaws in the story-telling side of things, but in different ways. Halo's story is completely cliche and bland, whereas MGS's story is completely overblown, hokey, has way too much dialogue, and crams way too many plots and characters I couldn't really care about.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Ocarina of Time.

Fantastic game, although I didn't enjoy the cryptic gameplay like most people did.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Call of Duty.

It's good fun shooting people and all, but to make several million dollars for it... Doesn't seem worth that much...

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
Demon's Souls.
The game was plenty of fun, I still play it to this very day.
Due to its unexpected cult status and it being a 'hard' game, this is one that just has a shocking amount of people that are just completely unwilling to admit anything is wrong with it. Certain areas that offer far more frustration than fun, certain bosses that can have incredibly 'cheep' attack patters. Lets not forget the horrible imbalance between range oriented characters and melee oriented.
Even smaller but none the less baffling problems like not being able to Pause while offline are met with a lot of 'It adds to the challenge' type of justification.

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
Halo 3. HOLY GOD the campaign was boring. Repetitive and boring. Repetitive and boring. Repetitive and boring

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
Mass Effect 2 not saying it was a bad game in fact i liked it a lot but for $75 and 5 of my friends saying it's the greatest thing to ever grace the face of the earth it a bit of a let down for me

Shanked_Salt

Jan 26, 2011
He asked for feedback on games that you thought were over rated but still ENJOYED!. Some people didn't pay attention to that key part - enjoyed.

Sure there are already plenty of topics about over rated games and there are heaps of over rated games out there that are not enjoyable. Sorry but seems some people are using this thread to just complain about games they hated - wasn't the point I don't think.

I probably have lots of games that fall into this category but off top of head will need to think...

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It was fun, but the level design wasn't even as good as the first! AND, it was still too easy, especially the final boss, when they practically promised that it would be much harder. The only reason it got rated so high, as far as I can tell, is because it had Yoshi in it. Honestly, the fact that a fairly good sequel got SO much praise while other, much better games went unseen causes me pain.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
Huh nobody has said this yet im suprised. Shadow of the Colossus, I LOVE that game but the way we present it to the world makes it seem a little greater than it sorta is, the lack of blood bath will off put the un experienced gamer.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Any fighting game, though fun, some are crippling in the arcade mode (Original 3 Mortal Kombats), and no matter how much you practice, it's like yahtzee says, your friends can beat you just by mashing their face against the controller

turbosloth

May 7, 2008
Ok, I'm gonna be captain obvious on this one, but Halo (all iterations there of except Halo Wars, which I have not played and therefore cannot comment on). Solid game design? Sure. Good brainless fun? Absolutely. Great game to have on the shelf when you've got mates around? Fucking A. But seriously, overall its average. Not good, not bad, just average with an above average level of polish.

The call of duty games are also guilty of this. Very highly polished mediocrity is not brilliance, no matter how much elbow grease you put into working the shine out of it. Don't get me wrong - both those game series have a lot going for them - but its all on the surface, bite in and there's very little there.

On a slightly less obvious and more controversial note, the original starcraft. Was never really that impressed. Still haven't got around to playing starcraft 2.

Oh, and slightly off topic because its supposed to be games you ENJOY and think are over rated, but my number one over rated game of all time has to be counterstrike. Seriously. The only conceivable use for it is as a coaster, and you can't even do that because its digitally distributed not on a CD.