Games you like that critics hate

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
The topic here is pretty clear, I wanna know what games you like that were bashed by critics. When I say bashed, I mean below a 70 or so on Metacritic.

I have two personal examples: Dynasty Warriors and Dance Dance Revolution.

I think Dynasty Warrior games are more fun to play than they're given credit for, and there's a charm in its ridiculousness. Not exactly a buy for everyone, and the series does get a bit sequel happy, but at the least, it's a good rental if you've got a buddy in town.

Objectively speaking, DDR games nowadays deserve the low scores they get due to long loading times, lack of features, meaningless crap, and a general lack of innovation, but despite all that, I think it's a great, fun way to exercise, and I still buy games when I want more songs to choose from.

So what games do you like that critics give bad scores to?

DeadYorick

Jan 13, 2011
Poker Night at the Inventory

I still dont know why this game was so underrated, sure people only bought it for the TF2 items. But I really loved it's voice acting and it's AI.

Magicka

Sure it was buggy but it was a hilarious co-op game

Shank 1 and 2

I dont know why people dislike those two games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, I don't think I've ever been in that position.

The closest example I can think of is Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. It got a very lukewarm critical reception. (Metascore of 75, which is low when you remember that hardly anything scores under 70.)

Even then though, I can see why it got reviewed poorly. It had some severe issues. I just love it for the ending and epilogue.

PS. In before, "All critics are hacks who take bribes".

El Pwnz

Mar 28, 2011
Alpha Protocol! Fantastic game.

Not sure how The Saboteur fared, but I get the sense it's also intensely underrated.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Yeah, Alpha Protocol is the obvious one for me.

Maybe Deus Ex Invisible War - I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as critics and fans made out. Nowhere near as good as the original - but not many games have been.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
God Hand - This game got HAMMERED by reviewers but I LOVE(D) it.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
All the Harry Potter games before Goblet of Fire.

Being movie tie-ins, I imagine they got bad reviews but I fucking loved them!

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Nier got pretty dire reviews and is easily one of the better games out there.
Dynasty Warriors series always gets poor reviews. Love that one tho.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Minority Report Everybody Runs on the PS2. Dude, the game was my first experience with destruction and ragdoll physics, plus it has puke grenades. Puke grenades. Not to mention there were lots of nice high areas to throw people off of or deathtraps to throw them into. They have a jetpack training level that has a bunch of tall towers with respawning target practice officers that you can knock off of the towers, and they'll scream wildly when you do so. It's just plain fun. I don't care what anyone says.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Regnes said:
I had a lot of fun playing this game, and it wasn't until years after it got old that I found out it is one of the most notoriously shitty fighter games ever. I have fond memories of the game, though after reading reviews of it, I can agree with it's faults. If you didn't have a lightsaber or Arden Lynn, you were going to get your ass kicked by the other player.
I STILL love this game.

Sure, lightsaders are basically baseball bats...but it's still fun.

I never had an issue with playing as non-lightsaber types.

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
I loved Alpha Protocol, I guess I'm just very forgiving when it comes to buggy AI if I'm given an interesting conversation mechanic.

Seriously Obsidian outdid everyone with how well the did the conversations. Actually meaningful effect from how you talk to someone. Absolutely brilliant. If only someone ha reminded them that they actually needed half-decent gameplay in their game.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I liked Star Wars: the force unleased, the first one, but it was too short because half the levels were only on xbox or PS3. It was a good game though.