Games you like that critics hate

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
DeadYorick said:
Poker Night at the Inventory

I still dont know why this game was so underrated, sure people only bought it for the TF2 items. But I really loved it's voice acting and it's AI.

Magicka

Sure it was buggy but it was a hilarious co-op game

Shank 1 and 2

I dont know why people dislike those two games.
I've never heard a bad word said about any of those games.

Mine would be Alpha Protocol. One of the best games I've ever played.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
My big 3 were Bladestorm, Duke nukem forever and anything Dynasty warriors. Critic's can bite me! Oh yeah, and Bullet Witch.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
DeadYorick said:
Magicka

Sure it was buggy but it was a hilarious co-op game
Magicka is an example of why reviewers need to occasionally revisit games to update the reviews. Many of the bugs in it's early days were patched out within a month or two and most reviewers didn't bother to take this into account.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Hmm, well I don't think it is really hated as much as it is seen as mediocre. But I really enjoy the first Two Worlds (I like the second as well, but that received a much warmer reaction). I've seen so much trashing for the game, it's unbelievable almost. I can understand why people don't like it though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I had just check Gotcha Force on Metacritic which had gotten 56 (althought user score is 8.7).
Sure the voicing was terrible and the grahpic were bad on the background wise however the graphic on the borgs were great and it was a fun little game espically when played with friends.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Dynasty Warriors as a whole gets mediocre reviews, but 3 and 7 were amazing. Heck, Dynasty Warriors 7 was my game of the year for 2011.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Hazzard said:
I liked Star Wars: the force unleased, the first one, but it was too short because half the levels were only on xbox or PS3. It was a good game though.
I agree, I rather enjoyed playing that game, not saying it was superb or anything, but I still think it didn't deserve the abuse it got either.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Regnes said:

I had a lot of fun playing this game, and it wasn't until years after it got old that I found out it is one of the most notoriously shitty fighter games ever.

I have fond memories of the game, though after reading reviews of it, I can agree with it's faults. If you didn't have a lightsaber or Arden Lynn, you were going to get your ass kicked by the other player.
That game has one of the most ridiculously awesome titles ever. I can't help but smile whenever I see it. (Even though "teräskäsi" is a compound word so there shouldn't be a space there. Or maybe that makes it more funny, I don't know.)

For me the first one that comes to mind is Duke Nukem Forever. The almost religious bashing it got was just incredible, and I don't think I've ever seen as much pure hate and extreme overreacting towards a game. It would have been kind of funny, but it just kept (and keeps) going on, so it got old really fast. I have only seen one mostly positive professional review for it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Alpha Protocol and Bullet Witch. Admittedly I don't remember much of Bullet Witch now but I remember enjoying it when I played through it.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I don't usually disagree with game critics when it comes to bad games, but I had to disagree with them when it came to Two Worlds [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Worlds_%28video_game%29], probably best known as "that-one-game-that-tries-to-be-Oblivion-and-fails."

I'll admit, the game has zero originality, boring visuals, broken mechanics, and one of the worst user-interfaces ever to grace a video game; but I'll be darned if it wasn't really fun to play. I found that what it lacked in polish, it made up with it's vast amount of content and the freedom it gave players; it pretty much let you do anything you wanted to.

If I had to summarize it, Two Worlds is essentially the video game equivalent of a B-Movie, a shameless imitation that can occasionally end up being more fun than the thing it's trying to emulate. And, like most B-Movies, it got a sequel, and from what I've heard from friends, it's just as fun as the first game.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
This is turning into an Alpha Protocol love thread. That's a VERY good thing. It definitely did not deserve the bashing it got upon release. WAY better than Deus Ex: Human Revolutions in my opinion.

Obsidian just gets no love from the mainstream, it's such a damn shame. I really hope they have a Kickstarter and make it a huge success. Obsidian both needs and deserves it.

Glass Joe the Champ said:
I think Dynasty Warrior games are more fun to play than they're given credit for, and there's a charm in its ridiculousness. Not exactly a buy for everyone, and the series does get a bit sequel happy, but at the least, it's a good rental if you've got a buddy in town.
I know one critic who actually LOVES Dynasty Warrior: Jim Sterling from Destructoid, or the Jimquisition here on the Escapist. You might want to see what he thinks about future DW releases, since he's more likely to give the opinion of an actual DW fan on a new game, which would probably be more useful to you than the opinion of someone who never liked the games much anyway.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
There's a couple of games I liked that probably nobody heard about.

Pilot Down: Behind Enemy Lines
Cold Fear.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Regnes said:
Haha, I still have that game floating around somewhere. I remember unlocking Darth Vader in it, awesomesauce. That and the pig guard whose special move was to grow huge then shoot out flames.

Jul 11, 2011
While it wasn't "shunned" by critics to say, Metro 2033 is still underrated in my book. The game was so bloody peculiar and fascinating to me, that I tried to track down the book for 3 weeks. After finding out that the Metro 2033 book simply is not held in most book stores shelves, I managed to track down a translated english version from Germany. Ordered it straight off Amazon, and it's now one my favorite books I've ever read. Thanks underrated video game!

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
Magicka, I mean most of the issues have been patched now, that or i just can not find them to be that frequent.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Elmoth said:
Assassin's Creed 1 and Mass Effect 1. Love these games. Both slower and less 'epic' than their sequels, but much better written. (I can not understand how anyone can stand the over the top stereotype characters in AC2. Fucking nerd girl pisses me off.)

And I like Hellgate: London.
In what world did Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed get bad reviews?

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Add me to the Alpha Protocol list. A surprisingly detailed game, with a good story, good characters, decent gameplay, and a huge amount of choice.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Fat_Hippo said:
This is turning into an Alpha Protocol love thread. That's a VERY good thing. It definitely did not deserve the bashing it got upon release. WAY better than Deus Ex: Human Revolutions in my opinion.
I don't know if i'd go that far - I think story wise and dialogue mechanics wise it's probably better - but combat and overall polish go to DXHR. Both are great though!

Glass Joe the Champ said:
Elmoth said:
Assassin's Creed 1 and Mass Effect 1. Love these games. Both slower and less 'epic' than their sequels, but much better written. (I can not understand how anyone can stand the over the top stereotype characters in AC2. Fucking nerd girl pisses me off.)

And I like Hellgate: London.
In what world did Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed get bad reviews?
I was thinking the same thing.

Mass Effect - averages a rating of 90 by critics

Assassin's Creed - averages a rating of 80 by critics.