Games you liked but quit playing due to an (arguably) stupid problem.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ok simply put have you ever played a game that you had no real problems with until one thing cape up that you could NOT stand? Also I said arguably like if you told someone else about it they would probably say "Really? That's it?". For me that game would be Grandia 3. I had a lot of fun with it when I bought it. Basically it's beginning was a girl was being chased down and needed to get somewhere before her brother started destroying everything. So the main character who has a fascination with planes after a few hours gets her there and I had a lot of fun with it. I liked the characters and some of the plot points were pretty good. Then she got to her destination where she asked basically a diety for advice where it then told her that she could only stop him through "Love".

..What? Seriously this wasn't even remotely hinted at before then just a few hours in they decide they need to start teaching family values. Also the brother shows up during this and his very first act is killing said diety as his opening. Still whatever the game was still fun and there was only so long they could keep that up. Or so I thought. That plot point kept coming up over and over never being any less annoying. After about the 4th time they just try to solve all their problems through love I just quit. I couldn't stand it anymore. Spent about 30 hours into that and just quit.

So what about you fellow Escapists? Have any of you ever had a game like this?

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I stopped playing the Assassins Creed games because I found the Italian accents really annoying.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
Possibly The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Not one of my favourite Zeldas, but there was certainly a lot to enjoy in there. The problem was after every single temple you completed, you had to go back to this one temple and complete every level you had there before, plus some new ones, under a time limit. This might not be the kind of thing most people consider deal-breaking but I couldn't stand it. Eventually that made me put the game down and never come back to it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
FFXIII-2 . I can't stand the fucking moogle. Seriously . Kupo this kupo that . I mean i managed to finish X-2 for fucks sakes ( and i absolutly hated that game) . I just quit , and yet i still hear kupo everywhere!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!

I stop playing game with 'tutorials that never EVER end'.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Gamer_152 said:
Possibly The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Not one of my favourite Zeldas, but there was certainly a lot to enjoy in there. The problem was after every single temple you completed, you had to go back to this one temple and complete every level you had there before, plus some new ones, under a time limit. This might not be the kind of thing most people consider deal-breaking but I couldn't stand it. Eventually that made me put the game down and never come back to it.
Well considering I've heard that same complaint from a few people it's probably more reasonable than you think.

krazykidd said:
FFXIII-2 . I can't stand the fucking moogle. Seriously . Kupo this kupo that . I mean i managed to finish X-2 for fucks sakes ( and i absolutly hated that game) . I just quit , and yet i still hear kupo everywhere!
Oh god I hate those one line characters. It's like they were designed as a time trial to see how long it takes you to quit.

Tanis said:
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!

I stop playing game with 'tutorials that never EVER end'.
Please read the above statement it applies to you too.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I stopped playing because the boyfriend was playing it so much, so as a result he ruined pretty much the whole game for me.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Sadly its most games for me....

but some specifics....

-Batman Arkham Asylum: I quit because the xray vision was stupid.. But i could not turn it off because it made the game really easy.

-Dead Space: It was not scary enough. (It was supposed to be a horror game... IT WAS NOT!!)

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
Ill preparation in Demons Souls made it impossible to pass a certain point, can't remember which one but I was fucked as I went for a 'Jack of All Trades' build. And they just don't work

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Deadly Premonition. My 360 decided to crash after a really difficult boss fight (literally five seconds after it)... Never touched it again since I refuse to go through that shit again.

They made her impossible to lock on to! The lock on was the only thing that made the shitty controls functional! WHY?!

Almost UMVC3, I was being really thinking of quiting it for good last night solely because for the last few days i've been matched up with only terrible people, absolute gods and Hulk users. No middle ground

Then I watched the Assist Me video on Vergil, promptly kicked Ammy off my team (sorry bro!) and started to just gush over how fucking cool he is. Even learned he's not quite as punishable as I first thought... Most of the time at least. If someone blocks his full screen hyper get ready for a punish of epic proportions. He has to be a showy bastard and sheathe his sword after it. It takes near two seconds. You can't cancel it.

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to stop teleporting so much though. Probably isn't safe

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Shadows of the Damned. Wasn't particularly amazing but was enjoyable enough.

Then came to the Big Boner section. Just put it down and quit the whole thing with that.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Rune Factory: Frontier

Manage my farm? Ok. Micro manage an ecosystem of spirits so all crop growing doesn't go to shit? Hell no.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I probably won play The Witcher because the main character looks like a twat.

I resisted playing the new Deus Ex for similar reasons.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows starts off excellent and I would've loved to go further into it until this stupid mission where you have to take out dozens of snipers in just a few seconds using an ability you've only just learned with no real room for error.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
arnoldthebird said:
Ill preparation in Demons Souls made it impossible to pass a certain point, can't remember which one but I was fucked as I went for a 'Jack of All Trades' build. And they just don't work
You can complete the game at level 1.
Being all eclectic with your build won't help you much, but by no means does it make the game impossible.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
I can't think of any example where I stopped playing a game, but I was very close with Final Fantasy 13. At the beginning when the whole train thing goes down and Lightning says something to the effect of "I'm an exsoldier" (I can't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it) I said "alright then" and had my finger hovering over the power button for about ten seconds before I decided to keep playing.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
One that I continue to harp on, and that would be Lair

The whole idea of the game is just brilliant. You are fighting a war between to rival counties, while riding on and fighting with mother fucking DRAGONS. This game would have been a spectacular stand alone title during the early days of the PS3. But it used the six axis controls to control the dragons in flight and on the ground. The problem with this idea is that the six axis only registers that you want to turn in a certain direction after you have thrown your controller for the fifteen bazillionth time.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
SH Origins - two things that inidividually, I may have pressed on with anyway. But together, it was a deal breaker. Actually, the 2nd one wouldve been enough by itself.

1) Travis has no f*cking reason to be in Silent Hill! There is literally nothing stopping him from going home! No daughter to find (SH 1), no mysterious letter from a dead wife (SH 2), no vengeance (SH 3) - he's just there out of sheer curiosity. CURIOSITY KILLED THE TRAVIS!

2) The save points. I know that sounds truly stupid, but for some reason whenever I tried to save, it would take at least 5 minutes. It seemed like my PS2 would go at the speed of a 15 year-old computer with thousands of viruses and 10 programmes open at once - aka, veeerrryyyy slloowwww. It often resulted in saving under different slots rather than overwriting the same data. The game would work fine after going back into gameplay again though - it was JUST saving that was slow like that.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Animal crossing wild world- i accidentally changed my town tune and stopped playing so that I wouldn't forget the tune