Games you love, but no one else seems to know about or remember.

Antimony

Jul 18, 2009
I don't know if this qualifies as an unknown or unremembered game (more likely unremembered), but Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was a pretty meaningful game for me as an aspiring gamer. I got that game with my brother (first video game we ever purchased) more than a decade ago, and it has stuck with me ever since. I don't think we quite knew what we were getting into at first. The difficulty was insane, especially for a couple of kids essentially brand new to gaming. But we fought through to the end, and I loved every bit of it. Going back to the game years later, (on the hardest difficulty setting, mind you) my memories of the game as being difficult were reinforced. Especially the first levels where you don't have a lightsaber, you're in a constant struggle for survival. As you progress, you slowly become more and more powerful, until you're using force lightning to blast large groups of stormtroopers off ledges and having elegant saber duels with hardened dark Jedi. It never got easy, but the pacing of the increase in skill and the wonderful difficulty curve is something I don't think I've ever seen done as well in another game, and it's a shame most games these days seem intent on throwing a constant stream of upgrades and perks on you to bait you along, instead of crafting a challenging experience that doesn't need RPG-esque leveling to still make you feel like you're improving. I can hardly say enough about how good the game was. There was so much nuance in the lightsaber fighting, levels were (mostly) well designed (surprising, occasionally!) and good at throwing challenges at you. And the mid-game boss fight with an agile lightsaber wielding opponent still stands among my favorite gaming moments. Jedi Knight II was a brilliant game, and I'm happy that by some stroke of luck I stumbled upon it.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
The_Scrivener said:
Amaror said:
King of Asgaard said:
Beyond Good and Evil.
A fantastic action-adventure/puzzle-platformer/racing game with one of the best stories in gaming, and easily the best female protagonist. It has a really nice world, too, with a lot to find. I suppose it could be considered one of the first sandboxes. It has one of the coolest scavenger hunts that are mandatory to sandboxes: taking pictures of around 100 different animals. It makes the world feel alive, despite the fact that the area you can explore is about half the size of a university campus.
I think it's on GOG for a pittance, so I highly recommend y'all go and play it.
What?! Everbody remembers that game! At least here on the Escapist.

For me:
Spellforce. An Awesome hybrid of Rpg and Strategy game, combining the best aspects of the two together. The Strategic and tactical gameplay of Strategy with the progression, sidequests and awesome story of rpgs --> Epic game.
It is one of the few chosen games to get an HD remake for current gen consoles...The game is a cult hit and received huge critical acclaim...

Anyway, Chu Chu Rocket for Dreamcast. Most fun multiplayer ever and I don't know anyone who still plays it.
Beyond Good and Evil gets a Remake? Cool, hope it comes for pc, too!

searron

Mar 1, 2010
I used to love Lords of Magic, yet no one seems to remember. The best scenarios were the ones based off of real world myths.

James Pond and the Aqua Games was awesome too, but that game was stupid hard.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I guess it's only fair that I've never heard of 90% of these games, haha.

But anyways, Monster Rancher Battle Cards Episode II for the ps1 was a game I played a lot as a kid. I don't know how or where I got it, but I played it a lot and real enjoyed it, even if some of your opponents were cheating assholes. But I actually started playing it again recently. I still enjoy it.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
My family rented this when I was 6, and I bought a copy online in 2011. It's really cheesy, but an enjoyable kind, plus I remember the hours we put into it when I was 6. Now I could finish in under 3 hours.

This little gem too. Bright colours and a trippy soundtrack made this a happy reminder of more innocent times

And finally this classic. Even now, I love this game for its setting, ambient soundtrack and its somewhat low-budget look is something that will stay with me.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
ParanoidEngineer said:
Hogs of War. World War 1 factions fight on a cartoonish battleground with poison gas, mortars, dynamite and airstrikes from Zepplins. They are also pigs. When they die they explode into a pair of smoking boots. It was amazing.

I remember that game. Rik Mayall was the voice actor

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Tales of the Abyss. a lot of people hate the game because of the extremely annoying main character, but people don't realize that he is supposed to be annoying so the character growth has real meaning and impact. the game would not be as good if he started out some like Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia.

David Tlastname

May 20, 2013
I'm going to say Steel Diver, which was a 3DS Launch title,

I found the gameplay, controls and experience to be really immersive, but was left being forgettable by the mainstream gaming industry by the fact that it was a launch title, and the fact that it was too short at only 7 levels.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Amaror said:
The_Scrivener said:
Amaror said:
King of Asgaard said:
Beyond Good and Evil.
A fantastic action-adventure/puzzle-platformer/racing game with one of the best stories in gaming, and easily the best female protagonist. It has a really nice world, too, with a lot to find. I suppose it could be considered one of the first sandboxes. It has one of the coolest scavenger hunts that are mandatory to sandboxes: taking pictures of around 100 different animals. It makes the world feel alive, despite the fact that the area you can explore is about half the size of a university campus.
I think it's on GOG for a pittance, so I highly recommend y'all go and play it.
What?! Everbody remembers that game! At least here on the Escapist.

For me:
Spellforce. An Awesome hybrid of Rpg and Strategy game, combining the best aspects of the two together. The Strategic and tactical gameplay of Strategy with the progression, sidequests and awesome story of rpgs --> Epic game.
It is one of the few chosen games to get an HD remake for current gen consoles...The game is a cult hit and received huge critical acclaim...

Anyway, Chu Chu Rocket for Dreamcast. Most fun multiplayer ever and I don't know anyone who still plays it.
actually HD rerelease, and it's already out, also you can buy the game on GOG, all you need to do is put the games setting on max and it will look like the console HD rerelease, also it might be on steam as well.

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
UltraDeth said:
ParanoidEngineer said:
Hogs of War. World War 1 factions fight on a cartoonish battleground with poison gas, mortars, dynamite and airstrikes from Zepplins. They are also pigs. When they die they explode into a pair of smoking boots. It was amazing.

I remember that game. Rik Mayall was the voice actor
Yup, the only voice actor. Talented guy Rik Mayall.

Toadination

Apr 24, 2013
icemasteryeti said:
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos

It was the first game I ever owned but barely anyone I know has heard of it.
Fuck Croc and fuck you for reminding me of that game! That game made me so mad that I ripped up my Grandia instruction booklet thinking it was the Croc booklet, then I got even madder when I realised I could no longer read my beautiful Grandia background info.

Also on topic, the PS2 Spy vs. Spy game. No-one I've talked to has ever heard of it but I swear that game would've been a best-seller if it had online multiplayer, it was thebomb.com

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
KKND2: Krossfire:
You can have crabs with missile launchers, or a hippo with a minigun! Do I need to say more?

Don't think I have ever heard anyone mention this game.

Thandran said:
Grandia II.

Found this game in a bing for a couple of euros. Money well spent.

Simply beautiful music and a tear jerking story. Sniff, I'll miss you Mareg!
This! Did the same thing thinking "I guess this could be fun", and totally loved every minute of it. Now I can't find the disc, and I want to play it again =(

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 and Legend of Dragoon(PS1) two amazing JRPGs that were swept under the Final fantasy shaped rug for no good reason.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
RT said:
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy for PS2/Xbox/PC
Released back when Midway was on its way down the drain, Psi-Ops was a breath of fresh air among the schlock Midway released at the time. The Telekinesis power is awesome and isn't just a rehash of HL2's gravity gun and its awesome is multiplied by the game using Havok. There are also powers other than telekinesis that allow you to take control of your enemy, drain their minds (until their fucking heads explode!) and burn shit. The PC version has been released as a free ad-supported version and widescreen patch from WSGF.com coincidentally disables the ads (hey, it's not like Midway can use the ad money), so give it a try.
Still got my copy for the xbox. TK surfing was an amusing thing. Though lets not forget the astral vision that showed you the enemies from beyond the veil that you couldnt attack if you couldnt see them, or those damn invisible psi mines that would insta kill you if you touched them. Could do with a remake using the AI reactions of newer games. Imagine enemies that would go into a panic when their comrades walked up to them and just randomly shot themselves. Oh and that pyrokinetic woman was pretty hot....in various ways.

Rattja said:
You can have crabs with missile launchers, or a hippo with a minigun! Do I need to say more?

Don't think I have ever heard anyone mention this game.
I played this quite a bit back in the day, was a nice change having 3 races to pick from in an rts. humans, mutants and the robot things. Also Gort. Was more fun than the first C+C and Red Alert simply from the style they used.

OT: To me it would be Voodoo Vince for the xbox. Was a fun little platformer where you play as an accidently animated voodoo doll who needs to go save his creator from the evil lord Cosmo, who was a dumb idiot desperately trying to be evil. You got to grind cute disney animals into sausages as part of a mission. That last line should have you hooked.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
Its not that unknown I guess, but the only people I know who remember it are my core group of friends that I played it with. The Game is Timesplitters, especially the 2nd one. I found it in a cheap game bin back in the days of the Gamecube, Love that game to death.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Man, that game was awesome. The mutants had all kind of cool units (missle-crabs, giant scorpions etc).

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Keiichi Morisato said:
Amaror said:
actually HD rerelease, and it's already out, also you can buy the game on GOG, all you need to do is put the games setting on max and it will look like the console HD rerelease, also it might be on steam as well.
Oh THAT! Yeah i already have that.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Destiny of an Emperor
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_of_an_Emperor]
...still never seen another copy of it. I've been guarding mine for over 20 years... This is pretty much the game that let me know I enjoy strategy.

Brandish
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandish]
Everyone I know hates this game for its change in perspective every time you turn... I found it forces you to think about where you are every time you move... made me a better map reader.

I guess I have a thing for late console releases.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
ParanoidEngineer said:

When I were a lad I wanted Hogs of War so badly, but never got around to buying it.