Games You Loved But Then Grew to HATE

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Easy answer: Diablo 3

I jumped in long after Reaper of Souls, so the auction house stupidity had been long gone. Pretty game, mechanically very satisfying (I haven't found better in the genre since then), lots of fun, and I was actually ok with the streamlining.

Endgame is dull as dishwater and Blizzard has to be one of the most idiotic developers around. Insanely asinine balancing, a stupid focus on online and coop, no long term vision on a game that relies on replayability. Stuck around for 2 patches and decided I had enough.

Potjeslatinist

Feb 3, 2016
Starbound.

It turned bad pretty much the way Coca-Cola (or any brand of cola) did for me. Loving it and then suddenly having this deep-seated realization that the taste reminds me of worn, wet socks.

It was this flash, I just saw the game as incredibly shallow as it was. The side missions are boring fetch quests in their purest form. Everything is ultimately about grinding and grinding the same damn materials for ever. The plot would have been a great addition to a game like this, if it weren't the bazllionth basic caseof "collect six things to open gate to end boss". Combat is the same with every enemy you encounter, there's no variation whatsoever, except in boss fights, which are relatively nice.

It also throws so much bullshit at you that hardcore mode (die once, die forever) is pretty much not an option at all.

It enchanted me at first, but 28 hours later I really can't be arsed with it anymore.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
hanselthecaretaker said:
lol I would love to have even half the time you seem to have for gaming.
Being in high-school and then being unemployed most of the time really gives you a lot of time to do stuff.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Okay fine, I'll be the guy.

Mass Effect.

Look, it was a great game at the time. Unique, fun, deep, Tali. The whole shebang.
But its aged terribly. The combat is clunky and awkward, the story has no replay value and way way to much filler and fluff, the character models are stiff and the dialogue is like something out of Buffy.

Replaying it is more a chore than anything, where you're looking at the clock, waiting for that 90min mark where you can say you played some games today, then turn it off.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The Binding of Isaac. But only cos I only recently noticed I've had the barebones shit version all this time and need to pay 8 squid extra for the cool, actual fun version.
Any online multiplayer/MOBA or whatever. There is the initial honeymoon period of new experiences, but then I realise how much it wants me to invest to have any chance of being slightly good at it. Battlefield notwithstanding.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I definitely wouldn't say hate, especially not in all caps, but I did quit playing Hearthstone after a series of decisions on Blizzards part put a sour taste in my mouth. Sadly I no longer have any interest in returning, which is a shame because while it lasted I quite enjoyed the game in a casual sort of way.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
4X games. Virtually all of them, but I'll cite Civ, Total War, and Masters of Magic. They start with an awful learning curve, become an incredible experience, and then turn into a colossal chore, just too much work to be worth playing.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Sonic Adventure was amazing looking at the time.

Playing it now, it's absolutely terrible.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
The Binding of Isaac. But only cos I only recently noticed I've had the barebones shit version all this time and need to pay 8 squid extra for the cool, actual fun version.
Are you talking about the original flash version, or are you playing Rebirth without the Afterbirth DLC? I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I actually prefer vanilla Rebirth. Obviously all the new items and combos are great but Afterbirth added a lot more tanky enemies and enemies that spawn more enemies when they die which really kills the pacing and makes the game kind of tedious for me.

If you're playing the flash version upgrading to Rebirth is totally worth the money.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It bothers me to say this, but Devil May Cry 4. I don't exactly hate it, but I am disappointed we got half a great game, because Capcom decided to rush the game out for next-gen, instead of using that time to delay a game that needed better level design, and not going through the same levels twice. Once you find out what was originally supposed to happen (Dante was to fight in hell for the 2nd half of the game), it becomes all the more frustrating at what could have been.

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii). I had fun at first, but the further you get, the more unbearable and overly difficult the levels become. There is challenge, and then there is how I am supposed to react to that. The motion controls with no traditional controller options was the final nail in the coffin for a precision platforming game of this caliber. Leave it to Nintendo to be the king of the stubborn "nothing is wrong with our controller options" and shoving unnecessary gimmicks right down peoples throats. When I got to the later mine cart level, I threw my hands up in the air, gave up, and traded the game. Those were full of shit, no fun, and lasted way too long. Tropical Freeze went ahead and fixed all the problems I had with Returns: More characters, traditional controller options, better level design, not boring enemies or bosses, and shorter mine cart sections. Oh, and before anyone brings up the 3DS version, it was a case of too little, too late. After playing Tropical Freeze, I do not see myself going back to either version of Returns.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
SmallHatLogan said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Are you talking about the original flash version, or are you playing Rebirth without the Afterbirth DLC? I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I actually prefer vanilla Rebirth. Obviously all the new items and combos are great but Afterbirth added a lot more tanky enemies and enemies that spawn more enemies when they die which really kills the pacing and makes the game kind of tedious for me.

If you're playing the flash version upgrading to Rebirth is totally worth the money.
I'm with you on the enemies part.
Not only did they add tanky enemies but they also added enemies that are straight up stronger versions of the originals.
And this problem has just increased with afterbirth+. The power creep is pretty extreme.
It is especially true for bosses. All the original ones are jokes compared to the new ones.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot the most annoying part about the afterbirth: The shell game is now luck based and no longer 33% chance of winning.
I know it's a minor complaint but it really pisses me off.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite hate per say, but...

Duke Nukem 3D

Ok, was a teenager in college when I originally played it, and even then wasn't 100% ok with all its schtick, but I genuinely got a kick out of its humour and pop culture references.

Playing the XBLA re-release, a lot of the humour fell flat, was annoying or felt uncomfortable to me me.

(still got to give it props to the cinematic you got after beating the chapter 2 boss).

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Sonic Adventure 2. A game I went from loving to hating to thinking "well this isn't that bad" to hating again. What really sucks is that the opening level is a fantastic start, probably one of the best opening sequences of any video game, but then the game immediately nosedives into Shit Creek.

Mariokart and Mario Party. As a kid, I loved them. It wasn't until pretty recently that I realized that they're actually complete bullshit, at least in terms of fairness. I hated constantly getting knocked back by items in the former and the luck-based minigame bullshit in the latter.

Many, many Xbox games I owned. But the most offensive was MoH: Rising Sun. Every time I play it, it gets worse.

Uhh, what else...Zelda: Spirit Tracks? But I haven't played it recently (due to the fact that my copy, along with about half of my DS games, was stolen). I remember liking it, but I hear all the time that "it's not very good". Then again, people say the same thing about The Minish Cap and I thoroughly enjoy that game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
Halo. then Bungie stopped making them and 343 turned it to shit
Seriously, what the fuck did they do to the story? Halsey is a nazi? ONI is trying to stab the Artiber in the back by arming radical Elites that want to fire the Halos? Cortana is a bad guy? Oh, and there's microtransactions. Yes, because multiplayer is vastly improved by people being able to spawn Scorpions.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
SmallHatLogan said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

I...Need to check when home again. Am not sure on that one.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fighting games. As a kid (early ?90s,) I loved them. Started out at the arcade: Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct; never got into Street Fighter, though. Then, when they started coming home to consoles, they lost their allure to me; they felt like cheap versions of the loud and flashy arcade cabinets I loved so much. I hung in through Mortal Kombat 3?s iteration on the Genesis and decided they were just dumb: doing the same things with the same characters for 30 seconds at a time, over and over and over... Now, you can?t pay me to play them. I don?t see how they sell at the full $60 retail price; they?re such a limited experience.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
League of Legends. Got in pre-S1, then watched the game and playerbase go completely to shit. Stopped during S3. I still have vivid memories of the patch where they got bought out by a Chinese company, and immediately halved in-game currency gain, and from then on every new character release was at the (previously) highest price point. One of those things where you can't believe it's not an exaggeration.