Games you might not have played if not for the Escapist.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
To The Moon is the first that comes to mind. I remember it being mentioned a lot on a topic about sad and emotional games and games that made you cry. Gotta say: Thanks Escapist for not making me miss out!

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Spec ops: the line. Saw the adverts on tv here, gave it the look of a generic modern war shooter, which i scoffed at and didnt thnik about. The reaction on this website both from video reviews and forum posters made me think it'd be worth a try, and I have never been so wrong about first impressions on a game.

Apart from that though, I can't think of anything.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I think the only one that I played becuse of someones opinion here was Gravity Bone. Cool little free game, although its better the less the player know about it

Aug 19, 2010
Almost all(not specifically). Before I joined the escapist I didn't really play a lot of games, especially by myself. Then came Dragon Age:Origins, about which I went crazy, so I googled videos on it, and came across the zero punctuation episode. After watchin ZPs and having lurked the forums/visited the site regularly I started picking up more and more games. Eventually I made an account here, and that boosted things even more. This website and it's inhabitants are almost single-handedly responsible for me discovering my greatest passion. Thank you all!

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I highly doubt I would have picked up Dark Souls, Metro 2033, Cave Story, Journey (thank you Daystar), Shadow of the Colossus, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Chrono Trigger, or DOTA if it weren't for the Escapist. Dark Souls, Journey, and Shadow of the Colossus in particular, as it's inspiring a game idea in me now that's going to be my summer project. :)

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Uh...perobably Dark Souls and Minecraft, to name a few. Pretty much because this is where I hear about things on the internet.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
For me there's been

Mount and Blade Warband (for that alone I will love you all forever)
Minecraft
Hotline Miami, and
XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Possibly Deus Ex, though I think I already had that one on my radar.

There's probably a few others too. Oh! and Red Faction 1 and 2 will count once I actually get them.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
The Walking Dead, Spec Ops: The Line (which I wouldn't even have heard of otherwise) and I'm planning on borrowing my brother's PS2 to try Okami, if I can find it.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Without Yahtzee, I probably wouldn't have played Spec Ops: The Line or Bastion. Both were absolute gems.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Only one game, and I must say I feel bad for saying it:

Corruption of Champions

This game suck literally my own soul everytime I play -_-...

felbot

May 11, 2011
funnily enough i actually got spec ops the line thanks to this place, it was awful though and now i dislike the site slightly more.

SideSmash

May 24, 2011
The Stanley Parable. Extra Credits's first "Games You Might Not Have Tried" introduced me to what is now my favorite HL2 mod. Same goes for Bastion and Lone Survivor.

Dinosaur_Face

Sep 22, 2011
Corruption of Champions and Katawa Shoujo, Katawa Shoujo was actually pretty interesting so thanks for that experience, CoC on the other hand i have no idea whether i like it or not, it is interesting in a pretty fun but fucked up way so i'm not really sure how many i would recommend it to.

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
Just Cause 2, Bastion, and Psychonauts. When they popped up in various sales I remembered various people from the site recommending them, so I gave them a try.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I intend on playing Spec Ops: The Line, and most of the praise I've heard from it comes from The Escapist, both on the forums and Zero Punctuation. So when I do play that, I can say it was because of The Escapist. Other than that, though, nothing really.

EDIT: Bastion, too, actually, now that I'm thinking back to Yahtzee.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Quite a few (some not so much that I wouldn't have played, but I just might not have hear of):

Persona 3 & 4
Vanquished
Rayman Origins
Dead Space 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story