Games you never expected to like... but ended up falling in love with...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It's never happened. At least, not quite like that.

I've been pleasantly surprised before, but I've never ended up loving a game that didn't have any initial appeal.

It's usually the other way around. I expect to like a game and then it turns around and kicks me in the nuts.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. I thought R&C were totally for kids but even adults can play and enjoy the hell out of this one! Quality game all the way around. And it even has a New Game +, which is friggin sweet!

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I gave Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl a try because I was really bored and it was being sold for 8 bucks on Steam. I thought I'd hate it, but it ended up being one of my favorite series of all time.
The atmosphere is awesome, and the music is top-notch. I mean, listen to this!

My Favorite Non-Combat Song
---------------------------

My Favorite Combat Song
-----------------------

Edit: By the way, the combat song is from the second game, not the first. Unfortunately, the first game only has combat music if you download it through mods. Still awesome game!

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
I would have to say the Sims: Urbz. I never thought it would be a good game, but it is really fun. It is a game that can remind you why non-combat gaming is so much fun. It is definitely a unique gaming experience with a good sense of humor.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins

I don't even remember why I got this game - I believe a friend traded me his copy for my ArmA II. He persuaded me that although DA:O was a standard fantasy setting RPG (elves, dwarves, humans, warriors, rogues, mages), it was possibly the best of the breed.

I spent the next two months totally immersed in the struggle to save Ferelden. I loved that game to bits.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i never thought i would like vanquish, i don't like cover based shooters and the screens and videos looked awfully chaotic but my good that game is awesome. Especially since it decreases your score for staying on cover.

Zonack

Jun 1, 2011
Jet Set Radio Future.
I only played it cause my brother bought the SEGA 2002 GT game (or so) that also included JSRF.
I played it cause I got bored of the car game and oh man, I loved that game and I carry most of it's soundtrack on my Mp3 player. :p

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
I guess Demon's Souls,because even though it managed to kick my ass at every turn,like Super Meat Boy,it's usually my fault. Though the dodge move really can't do much.

Mark Davison

Feb 14, 2010
Easy to answer Uncharted and Silent hill (the original).
I was musing the other day about Uncharted, when i saw the first e3 video of it way back before the PS3 launched. Looked at the trailer real and it looked so tediuous. All the cover based fire, dodgy gun play and platforming. Really wasnt impressed. SO Glad i downloaded the demo out because i was bored one afternoon... Uncharted is now my stand out favourite new franchise this generation.

And Silent Hill, back in the ps1 days, I was completely rote this off because i just took on glance and saw a blocky Resident Evil clone, without even the beautiful pre rendered backdrops that made that game so playable. a friend of a friend told me to play it, not to ask stupid questions, just do it, thank him later. So i rented it. And played it pretty much striaght through, ending up 2 3rds of the way through eventually putting the controller down at 4 in the morning. Hooked - went on to become one of my all time favourite games and likely my personal favourite franchise. so much so that neither SH:Homecoming, Nor Origins has ruined that....yet (lets see what damage downpour can do...)

TheHighway

Dec 2, 2010
Well now, a few months ago the prospect of playing a first person shooter would make me very sad. Probably because the only FPSs I'd played up until then were on consoles, and console controls make NO SENSE to me.

But anyway, I got TF2 for Christmas last year and AMAZING! PC controls are brilliant and the FPS I thought I'd play for a bit and then put in a pile ended up racking up over 100 hours in a month.

Also Portal, but that was mainly because the first time I played it was on a laptop (AKA shitty controls and graphics) and then I got my current PC and played it again and it was SO MUCH BETTER.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Dissidia Final Fantasy. Seriously, a Fighting Game/RPG? Sounded stupid. Then I got Duodecim and haven't put it down.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I played the Just Cause 2 demo and didn't like it.

Then I posted about it on here and someone told me to try it again. I did. It is now one of my favouritest games ever.

Omey

Apr 8, 2011
That has never happened with me when it comes to games .It only happens with movies or bands.
If a game doesnt even mild cause any curiosity the first time i hear about it most probably i will not like it

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
I expected to hate Portal 2, after Portal 1 was just rubbish, but when I played it... Damn, I saw what everone liked!

Connor Mulhern

May 28, 2011
Little Duck said:
I never expected to like halo. I kind of like it I guess. Love is a strong word. I have owned all the halo games on 360 bar halo wars. But it's mostly because all my friends play it as well. I got a 360 cos they had one, and got halo cos they owned it. I like halo, but love the 360. (never expected to like a microsoft console either btb)
Halo Wars ruled, go brute chieftain!