Games you NEVER finished / gave up on.

Mutard

Sep 12, 2009
I was just answering the games i'm most proud of finishing thread and it got me thinking about all the games I never finished. Usually I just gave up on beating them, but every once in a while there would be a game that just beat me...

E.T. (Atari or nes, can't remember, but you know the one) after about the 50th time of getting stuck in that hole, I just put it away and moved on with my life.

Beyond the Beyond (PS1) Egad, what a horrible spirit drainer of an RPG.

Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) Bought it, played it for about an hour, then never EVER put it near my PS2 again.

Hydlide (NES) What, never heard of it? Lemme sum it up for you, HARDEST FUCKING GAME OF ALL TIME!!! Trust me, you are better off forgetting I even mentioned it.

But out of every game I have ever played, the one that truly beat me was:

Street Fighter 1 (Arcade) I was just kid when I played it, but I spent so much time on that game, and walked away repeatedly with nothing to show for it but empty pockets and a hand full of blisters...

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Pippo. An old, old, OLD game on I believe the Spectrum that my mother, of all people, used to beat all 12 levels in one afternoon, but I just couldn't do it. level 1 was hard enough, by the time i reached level 5 I wanted to beat small children with the keyboard.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I've yet to beat Eternal Sonata. However whenever I don't have another game I want to beat I slog through it a little. I mean I like it but it hasn't 100% captured my attention really...I get bored of it relatively fast.

Edit: Sorry that was just my most recent example.

Other examples would be:

Paper Mario (the Wii one)
Any of the Metroid Prime games except the first one. I mean I really like them but I've yet to finish any of them except the first one.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Okami. Got about 10 hours in, got bored, never finished.

Ico. Same as above, only with added dread and annoyance at having to fight those damn shadow things all the time.

FFXII. God damn this game got boring fast. After the characters got captured and escaped from an airship for the THIRD time and I realised I had no idea what was going on, I stopped playing.

Also I technically never finished GTA4, last mission was a pain in the arse (specifically the bike chase (specifically specifically, the precision bike jump you have to make on the beach that I kept fuckig up)).

Any and every Commandos game. These games were nails. I know nobody who finished any of them.

Red Alert 3. PLayed to the end of the Soviet campaign, fail my first attempt, realised I hadn't had any fun in about 8 missions, never played it again.

I think everything else though I've always finished.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Sheep Dog N' Wolf,AKA Looney Tunes Sheep Raider. God,that boss fight is fucking impossible!

FireFly90

Sep 14, 2008
Homeworld (PC) mainly because i got stuck on the gardens of kadeshi when they kept finding ways of preventing me from hyperspacing and destroying most of my powerful ships at the same time.

May 28, 2009
Dark Sector, mainly because it was made out of refined manure. I've never gotten bored of decapitating people - that game managed to do it somehow.

Also I never finished Red Dead Revolver, even though I thoroughly enjoyed it.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, which was a shame, because it had a lot going for it, but the infamous Star Destroyer level is utterly, UTTERLY broken and is fucking impossible on a Xbox 360 controller. The game developers should be ashamed of themselves.

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
Mutard said:
I was just answering the games i'm most proud of finishing thread and it got me thinking about all the games I never finished. Usually I just gave up on beating them, but every once in a while there would be a game that just beat me...

E.T. (Atari or nes, can't remember, but you know the one) after about the 50th time of getting stuck in that hole, I just put it away and moved on with my life.

Beyond the Beyond (PS1) Egad, what a horrible spirit drainer of an RPG.

Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) Bought it, played it for about an hour, then never EVER put it near my PS2 again.

Hydlide (NES) What, never heard of it? Lemme sum it up for you, HARDEST FUCKING GAME OF ALL TIME!!! Trust me, you are better off forgetting I even mentioned it.

But out of every game I have ever played, the one that truly beat me was:

Street Fighter 1 (Arcade) I was just kid when I played it, but I spent so much time on that game, and walked away repeatedly with nothing to show for it but empty pockets and a hand full of blisters...
Shame. X-2 is an acquired taste, but once you acquire it, it's wonderful.

For me, Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I refused to put it on easy, and hence only ever beat about half.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Mass Effect. I have not finished it yet, but some parts of the game reek of bullshit.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Hawk of Battle said:
Kollega said:
Sheep Dog N' Wolf,AKA Looney Tunes Sheep Raider. God,that boss fight is fucking impossible!
I assume you mean Gosamer?? If so I feel your pain.
I don't know his name. I mean big red monster who originally appeared in Bugs Bunny short.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
All of my PS2 games.

These include Max Payne 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Siren, Fatal Frame, and Beyond Good & Evil. After I buy them, I just end up losing interest for some reason or another. I mean, they're all great games. It's just that I lose interest.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Rayman 1, because it won't let you finish the last evel until you get 100% complete on everything else
and I can't find those bloody cages.....yet

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Second Sight, both for Xbox. I find them both to be difficult to the point of obnoxiousness.