Games you never get tired of

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, I reinstalled MKXL on my new rig even though I?m still waiting for my new GPU. Scrolling through my stats I noticed I?ve logged a bit over 3,000 matches of it, and that?s just offline. If I was actually good I?d probably have twice that online. Although, I still have 75% wins including from a bunch of Invasion boss fight attempts and Hard mode story run if those count.

Also worth noting is those matches were logged on a PC that didn?t even technically meet the min. spec. I could still get 50-60 frames with Textures on High and other effects settings on Medium/Low. It?s also refreshing being able to natively plug in my DS4 and be right in the game. While highly unlikely I?d love if the next MK had a PC release as well. Aside from the tightest response times and technical perks I really like playing fighting games on a monitor. The closer view reminds me of the old arcade days.

Honorable mention would be the SoulsBorne and MGS series. Their gameplay loop and array of content is almost therapeutic.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Super Mario Kart, Streetfighter 2 Turbo, Resident Evil 4, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne; I don't see myself ever getting tired of those games. :p

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
There are certain games I play again and again.
Some are once a year maybe, while others are more of a fallback type of game.

In the first category, we have Freelancer, Harbinger, Anachronox, Beyond Good & Evil, Escape Velocity Nova, Outcast, Deus Ex and Knights of the Old Republic.
Mostly story-based adventure-type games.

In the second category we have a whole host of games, so I'd better just mention the overall genre and a few examples.

4X: Sword of the Stars, Distant Worlds and Space Empire IV.

"Builder"-type: Minecraft, Terraria, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Darkout, Anno 1404 and Startopia.

(Hack'n'slash but not hack and slash, since it got confused with spectacle fighting)
Diablo-style: Diablo II, Torchlight II, Dungeon Siege II, Sacred and Titan Quest Immortal Throne.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, even games I like I get a little tired of after a while... even when I can easily get back into it later. Fallout is my favorite franchise but I can get Fallout burntout after a replay. It doesn't last long, but it turns me toward my backlog or getting a new game.

And that's the way it is with just about everything I like. I'm not sure there's such thing as a game I'll NEVER tire of. What makes a game good is that I can pick it up again some time after I tire of it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The Witcher 3. I just keep replaying it. I'm not tired of it at all. I just have to take a break from time to time to play a new game that I got.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Rayman Legends is the only one I can think of that I would have a hard time actually getting tired of. I haven't played it in a good while now, but I'm far from tired of it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Team Fortress. I've been playing it on and off since the original Quake mod. Started around early '98.
Ezekiel said:
I'm not allowed to talk about it.
Can we know what would happen if you did tell?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
For me it's gotta be Max Payne 3. Damn that game is great fun but it's even more fun when you hang out with your mates that also play it, swapping stories about all the hilarious jumps and shots you did the last time you played it. Shame nobody around here seems to be up for that kind of chit chat.

In all honesty- if I'm still playing a game a year after I started, there's a good chance it'll go on the 'never get tired of' pile. When i started gaming as a kid I naively thought I'd just buy a handful of games and they'd have me set for life. Strangely enough that happened almost to a T, except other good games come out occasionally so I just expand the quota. My 3 favourite games of all time were games I didn't love until months of teeth gnashing frustration at the difficulty and ignoring the objectives to mess around in my own way. The fact they had enough pull to keep me coming back to have another stab at the actual plot after all my sillybuggers (which these games were also fine to let you do) says a great deal about them.

If I had to pick a game I could pick up 20 years from now and instantly fall back into the rhythm of it, I'd probably pick something like Unreal Tournament or UT2004. Mostly because in 20 years nobody else will be playing it, but it won't even matter because UT has a full roster of excellent bot opposition that'd be just as chomping at the bit to get into the blastfests as I'd be after being denied the chance to do so for 20 years for some arbitrary reason.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Chimpzy said:
Ezekiel said:
That Hollywood guy with the selfie avatar might at a later point start busting my balls with sarcasm again. The rest just won't respond because they don't like the game or are tired of me talking about it. I've been told it's nothing special and that I'm the only one who ever talks about it. Strange. I never got this much negativity back in my Dark Souls 1 days, when I was fanboying over that game in every other GameTrailers thread. Guess it's better to just keep talking about the games I currently don't like and my disappointment with modern games in general.

Guessing it?s not MP3 then if somebody already broke the ice with it above?

Adam Jensen said:
The Witcher 3. I just keep replaying it. I'm not tired of it at all. I just have to take a break from time to time to play a new game that I got.
Have you ever felt like changing your username/avatar, or are you really Adam Jensen? Because that could make sense, as he probably would need some escapism from his high tech, complicated existence.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Squilookle said:
For me it's gotta be Max Payne 3. Damn that game is great fun but it's even more fun when you hang out with your mates that also play it, swapping stories about all the hilarious jumps and shots you did the last time you played it. Shame nobody around here seems to be up for that kind of chit chat.
Well... I can talk about Max Payne 1 & 2. I didn't play the 3rd one because I didn't like the story direction they took it in at all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Based on the actual amount of replays those would be Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and the God of War/Kingdom Hearts franchises in general.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
I get tired of all games otherwise I would only ever play one game. Now, there are some games I always come back to and that I always have available/installed.

- Age of Mythology
- Chrono Trigger
- Final Fantasy 6
- Breath of Fire 1
- Breath of Fire 2
- Secret of Mana

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
Ezekiel said:
That Hollywood guy with the selfie avatar might at a later point start busting my balls with sarcasm again. The rest just won't respond because they don't like the game or are tired of me talking about it. I've been told it's nothing special and that I'm the only one who ever talks about it. Strange. I never got this much negativity back in my Dark Souls 1 days, when I was fanboying over that game in every other GameTrailers thread. Guess it's better to just keep talking about the games I currently don't like and my disappointment with modern games in general.

Guessing it?s not MP3 then if somebody already broke the ice with it above?
Coincidentally, my initial guess was also MP3. Maybe we should turn this into a thing and take turns guessing which game it is?

Winner gets to go on an amusement park date with Ezekiel.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
KOTOR 1/2, Super Smash Brothers (the original), and Rome Total War are all games I can always pick up if I ever get bored.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Am I the only woodland mammal that thinks no matter how awesome a thing is, it will always eventually hit a point when it will become tiring? There is literally nothing that comes to mind that I can imagine doing forever without thinking "this needs to die already. I need to die. What have I done to this that I once dearly loved? All trace of joy is nought but a fading stain of a distant memory swirling down the public loo of time. How much longer is forever going to take? What torturous prison have I committed my tender indulgence unto?"

Or am I thinking too in verbatim?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ezekiel said:
Chimpzy said:
Ezekiel said:
Thumbs up for self awareness.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Probably Minecraft. Whenever I get fatigue from SoulsBorne games, rogue-likes, open-worlds or even just catching up with my Steam list; there is always Minecraft to relax a bit.