Games you should really enjoy, but don't.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
Every once in a while a game comes along which seem to have it all. It's the genre you love, it's in your favourite setting, it looks fantastic; the works. Yet, it simply fails to hold your attention.

I was playing Crysis 2 recently and while I enjoyed the combat and the phenomenal graphics, I had a hard time keeping myself engaged. After a few hours I quit and I never really picked it back up again.

So, Escapees, do you know games like this? Have you ever played these kinds of games? What do you think is wrong with these games? I'm very curious.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Quick answer which I've just been talking about in another thread:

Saint's Row 3
I love the first two Saint's Row games, but the third just annoyed the hell out of me,
here's why:
*Too silly
*If you're gonna kill off a character, kill off Pierce! No-one liked him!
*Too silly
*Random plot that jumps all over the place
*Too silly

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
I really enjoyed Saint's Row 1, never played the second one and agree almost entirely on what you said about Saint's Row the Third. Almost, because I don't know who Pierce is. I actually didn't even get that far. I heard the second one is the best, but the PC port was so awful I never got past the first minutes.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I have a very strange relationship with Red Dead Redemption, in that I praise it to high heaven as a great game, but don't actually play it that often. I just get bored, go do something else, then don't really fancy playing it again for several months.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Half Life 2

So this is supposedly some kind of pinacle for videogames but I don't know I just find this game so tedious and boring. I don't doubt this game has an amazing story but for my part all I've seen is sections in which I'm forced to escape from the bad guys and meet back up with my buddies over and over and over again.

I personally think this game is far too long and drawn out most of the time and I don't know why but I just end up feeling physically and mentally exhausted from playing this game... Hmm? I syuppose that could probably be taken as a point in its favour as it suggests the game is visceral and exciting I suppose.

People have suggested that if I had played this game when it was new I would better recognise its acomplishments and quality and its just because I'm playing so late that I can't appreciate it properly... while that may very well be true it's also a bit disheartening I think.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Bioshock.

Loved the art style and setting, hated the gameplay. Just couldn't get into it at all. Considering the fact that I loved the System Shock games, and am all for new ideas in FPS games, I find it really annoying that I still can't find the energy or motivation to get anywhere in the game.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Assassin's Creed Revelations. Older Ezio! Set in Constantinople! REALLY FUCKING BORING. I like history and historical fiction, but ACR killed any interest I had in the series until they announced 3. This let me down as ACII and Brotherhood were brilliant, and then Revelations becomes rather mediocre.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I guess open city adventure combat games...

Games like Infamous, Spider-man 2, Assassins Creed, Saints Row, Just Cause and Prototype. I played Infamous and enjoyed it kind of, but I am glad I only borrowed it. The comabt, the time trial missions, the quests, they all get really old really fast, and the game just keeps rehashing the same crap over and over. The story and the twist at the end was fun and all....well lets just say my friend lent me both the first and the second, after I beat the first, which by the end felt like a chore, I tried out Infamous 2. My friend said it was better, but for me it wasn't, I saw the same old, same old. These games have no replay value for me and I feel tired by the end of the game, when I even rarely finish it.

I guess games like these just aren't my thing. Now I want to re-try Assassins Creed again, because I feel that game has a little more to offer, but I got bored the first time I played it. I feel like I might be able to get into Assassins Creed since I have only played the first game and that was like 4-5 years ago.

It isn't the sand box aspect of the games, as I LOVE Rockstar games like GTA and Red Dead Redemption. I think Rockstar does that type of game really well. So really I SHOULD like these open world action games, but I don't and just end up getting bored.

Takov

Nov 19, 2012
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I loved the first game (even if it was a tad repetitive), and enjoyed II a lot as well. While i preferred the setting and character of the first Assassin's Creed, I still had a lot of fun with II and expected the same from Brotherhood, but when the time came I just couldn't get into it. It's got everything I enjoy in it, though I'm not a huge fan of that whole "train some assassin's and send them on mission's!" bit. Even barring that feature I just could not get into it and never even finished it. I feel like I should some day and probably will but damn... couldn't do it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I should love Frozen Synapse.

Squad scale, turn-based combat (well... kinda, both sides give their soldiers order which then play out in real time). Just my thing.

Sadly, tragically, the interface lacks any clear indicator of line-of-sight. You have to eyeball it which can lean to miscalculations. After getting killed time and time again by AI trickshots from across the level or through the corners of buildings I gave up in frustration.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Here's a "controversial" one:
Baldur's Gate. Why should I enjoy Baldur's Gate? Well, I love KotOR and Dragon Age. Why don't I like Baldur's Gate? Well, because the AD&D rules are absolute ass, and I'd trade all of the fake "speed" in the BG combat for attacks that actually connect with the target more than one in every fifteen swings.

Comparatively speaking, the interface is completely horrible when held up against Dragon Age, or really even KotOR, which doesn't have a very good interface itself. Information isn't conveyed easily and navigating the interface for combat is probably the most obtuse thing I've ever seen. Maybe I'm spoiled by "modern" games, but the lack of health bars for enemies and the party makes things extremely inconvenient, as the character portraits aren't exactly concise in the way they portray character damage. Also, how did it ever make sense that gaining armor would lower your armor score?

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
For me, it was Just Cause 2. I love sandbox games where you can go around doing fuck-all. But everything just felt like a chore. I could'nt get into any of it even though I love over the top crazy action violence. I just don't get it.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
The Assassin's Creed series. I can appreciate that they are good games but I just can't find myself enjoying them ever, I can't put my finger on what it is but something about the AC games just doesn't work with me.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
LA Noire - Loving story-heavy games I should love this, but the awkward mechanics and unreasonably illogical interrogation progressions really put me off and I stopped playing a few hours in.

The Witcher 2 - Thought I would love it, turns out I hated the awkward combat, the unintuitive UI and the overly "mature" (something isn't mature just because you put alot of naked women and swearing into it) atmosphere.

Skyward Sword - LOVE Zelda-games, but the waggle-combat and long hand-holding prologue really irritated me to no end. Haven't Nintendo gone too far now? If they insist on making Zelda-games accessible to toddlers, can't they atleast have an option before starting saying "Yes, I DO have an IQ over 60" and thus skipping the worst hand-holding parts and perhaps cranking up the difficulty a bit.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I started playing Jak 2. When I'm good at it, its not hard to like.

But goddamn the lack of checkpoint system.

Lack of checkpoint system in ICO was pretty frustrating as well.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Rayman Origins. Beautiful game, simple 2D platforming at it's finest, but... it felt kind of hollow to me. I also couldn't stand the sound effects.

Skyward Sword also sucked.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
The Halo series, I have tried every halo game, except for halo 4, ODST almost made it, but lost interest 3/4 a way through. I have to like halo, can I cant.