Games you think need more attention

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. I'd like to hear what games you know of or like that you think don't get as much attention or love as you think they deserve. It could be anything from some obscure indie title that nobody knows of, to some larger and more well-known game that just never got the success you felt it should.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I think Wolfenstein: the new order was far better than it should have been

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep, time for me to praise Mount and Blade... again.

Yeah, so Mount and Blade doesn't get nearly enough attention. Something I would consider one of the most RPGy games. You choose your own backstory, then you choose what you do in the game. Be a mercenary, a merchant, a lord, or even a king. A massive amount of skills to level from logistical skills, such as medical training. All the way to personal combat skills. The combat is one of the easy to learn impossible to master and is very easy to change to your skill level. At the hardest difficulty, which I guess should be called realistic. You have to block each attack differently and time your swings. Decisions effect everything you do. Spend too much money on your personal equipment, your army may go hungry or without pay. Losing morale in the process. Then the mods are just to die for. We have mods that put us in Westros, Middle Earth, Medieval Europe, and Shogun Japan.

Truly an underrated gem.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
A few:

Steam Marines
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart

Steam Marines is a roguelike squad tactics game, quite fun, though unforgiving of mistakes.

Space Rangers HD is basically an upgraded version of Space Rangers 2, with an expansion thrown in. The first time I played Space Rangers 2, I played for 36 hours straight... It's a turn-based top-down space trader game, with optional missions that play like arcade shooters, RTS, text adventures, etc.

Zemaddog

Nov 20, 2013
Elfgore said:
That and also Screencheat. 2-4 player splitscreen fps where you have to screencheat because everyone is invisible. Literally just had the most fun game and conversation with the devs a few minutes ago. It is in open beta at the moment just search screencheat on google. One of the most fun games I have ever played. Plus the best kill messages by far in any shooter. It is an Australian indie game so some of the humour may slip past you if you aren't Australian.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Hawken could use some love, it's a very fun first person mech death match shootery game, but if people don't show up that often it's not much of a game.
Which also screws with their improvements, more game modes and maps are being added but because so few play everyone is be forced into the one map/mode anyone is even playing.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I'll say the Hitman series. It doesn't seem to get the love it deserves these days when most of the games in the series are quite good.

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
There are many. Icepick Lodge is a russian developer, which has made four games so far. I have only played "Knock-Knock" so far, but I have also heard a lot of good things about "Pathologic" and "The Void". The latter two however seem to have a lot of problems. Pathologic suffers from an awful translation and is not exactly an easy game. At least the latter is also true for The Void. I suggest starting with "Knock-Knock", since it is a rather short and easy game. Creepy atmosphere, weird confusing story and opaque game systems.

"Cryostasis" by Action Forms, a ukrainian developer. A slow-paced shooter, which takes place on a wrecked soviet nuclear ice-breaker. The game mechanics are innovative in some ways. The environment is quite cold most of the time and your protagonist is often at the brink of freezing to death. Consequently warmth is used instead of health and the fallen crew members damage you with cold instead of physical damage. But this actually makes sense, since the story is so heavy on metaphors. Aside from the great (mostly cold and usually dark) atmosphere, the story is the main reason why you should try this. Personally I think that this game has one of the best stories I have seen in games. Not so much because of the main story itself, but because of what the writers are trying to tell us through the story and the environment.

"The Cat Lady": The only of these games that came out rather recently. Basically made on no budget The Cat Lady still manages to have better writing and voice-acting than most games I know. The atmosphere is also surprisingly good, considering that it is a side-scroller. You might call this a horror-adventure and I guess, that the label is justified, but it is not defined by jump-scares or even the slow-burning terror of Amnesia. It has quite some splatter, but usually the game feels more bleak, creepy, hopeless, rather than scary. It is all about depression.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Hmm... I'd have to say Custom Robo. It was incredibly fun and had interesting mechanics. I really wish Nintendo would pay more attention to the series. Also, while it's not unpopular, I'd also like to point out the Tales series because it's one of the best RPG series I've ever played and has the best battle system. On that note there's also Baten Kaitos, which is another RPG with a really unique battle system, also it has a really impressive artstyle.

Elfgore said:
Yep, time for me to praise Mount and Blade.
I'll agree with this as well, I've been playing a lot Mount & Blade lately, and it's really fun and there's a lot to do in the game.

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
I'll say the main Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona seems to overshadow it tremendously, but I've never found them particularly appealing.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Hostile Waters. It was released in 2001 to critical acclaim but nobody bought it. Actually that's par for the course with the action/strategy genre. But it's a shame nonetheless.

It can now be found on GOG or Steam, although it is a DirectX7 game, and Windows 8 screws over old DirectX7 games. You can get a solid framerate in Windows 8 if you play in a window though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"The Movies" is probably the best thing Peter Molyneux ever did. If there had been a couple small changes to how the queueing works, it would be my favorite game ever.

Get it with the expansion pack, it's well worth the money.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Steambot Chronicles. I absolutely loved this game. It had it's flaws, but it was charming as fuck. But it isn't that popular. It was popular enough to get a PSP sequel that was...okay, I guess. But a true PS3 sequel was cancelled because of lack of interest.

And despite how much tumblr latched onto it, I really enjoy the DanganRonpa series. It's just the right combination of Phoenix Wright and anime that I can't help but really enjoy it. I do kinda wish I could make it a lot harder than it actually is. And while it has gotten some good attention, it's not popular with anyone outside of tumblr, and people who like Phoenix Wright inspired games.

Harvest Moon. It's a game series about farming, talking to people, farming, building relationships, farming, getting married, farming, having a child or two, farming, saving the land by restoring power to a goddess of some kind, farming, dying, your child taking over, and then ever more farming.

Way of the Samurai. I really enjoyed the first three games of this series, and I KINDA liked the fourth. Admittedly I haven't played much of the fourth. And it wouldn't be listed if it weren't getting as much attention as I wish it was.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Kentucky Route Zero. Only three out of five acts finished so far, but it's a fantastic game about weird and magical things happening while trying to explore lonely, empty highways at night. Virtually no gameplay to speak of, but it manages to bring player agency through incredibly well written dialogue choices that actually give characters (and sometimes you pick options for multiple characters in a conversation) different backgrounds and relationships to one another. The whole game has a mysterious, weird, and absolutely beautiful ambiance, plus a visual aesthetic that makes it look like you're watching a play being enacted using crepe paper figures. I just don't have the words for how much I love this game.

And if you turn off your light when you're in the mines...

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I guess it was a PSP game that not many heard of, but it just came out on Steam and anyone who likes JRPG's should get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I'm only a few hours in but so far I love everything about it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Vault101 said:
I think Wolfenstein: the new order was far better than it should have been
I've only ever watched gameplay of Wolfenstein: The New One and I still strongly agree with you. I don't know of any other FPS from the last console generation that lets you dual wield freaking SHOTGUNS.

---

Now that it's $20 or less new in more than a few places, I think Wii U owners (specifically new owners) should give ZombiU a chance. It has a stupid name and looks like your standard zombie shoot-em-up but it's actually a pretty solid survival game. It has its flaws, it's a launch title after all but, for $20 it's definitely worth looking at. Same with The Wonderful 101 but that's a completely different genre, gameplay etc...and not yet $20 but still worth trying out since it's by Platinum and is fun once you've got the controls figured out.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Pretty much every Clover/Platinum game ever. Particularly the likes of Vanquish, if only because they're not quite as recognised as Bayonetta and Okami

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Onlink. A TC mod for Uplink: Hacker Elite, adds a whole new load of stuff to an already innovative game. Graphics are simple, but gameplay is timing and puzzlw based and can really immerse you if you let it, it even adds new stories and features that weren't there before. While yes the project does move slower than the tectonic plates, it's still worth following for the occasional update posted by the devs who are quite nice people.

Give it a look! this is a shameless plug :D

Refresh220

Apr 17, 2014
I want to say the Suikoden games. Really an underrated RPG series. The game is fun, collecting 108 characters, building your castle, war battles + Minigames, really a great series. But I feel it's only known by hardcore RPG fans.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Jade Empire.

A Chinese themed effort from Bioware featuring Hack'n'slash style combat on top of an RPG system. Really, a gem of a game with some memorable characters and great story lines.

Also, John Cleese. At least in the EU version.

It's pretty cheap too.